Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... Last

Style
    Ed Parker's Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

looking to reasearch my own lineage - need help

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to do some research in finding out were my own line or lineage came from. definitely not doing this to put down or discredit anyone. I had a teacher that after 15 years of training with him and making it up the ranks of 2nd Black belt (in his version of American Kenpo not Ed Parkers Kenpo) I was banished. I never knew who taught him in what he said was American Kenpo. so if anyone knows of who taught Mike Agbay (3rd degree black belt in American Kenpo) his school is MJA Martial Arts in Sturbridge MA. I know he grew up in the Worcester MA area. We are not on speaking terms unfortunately and he would not tell anyone who taught him or how he acquired his rank. So like I said this is not to discredit or put down him, but to find out the history of were my own training originated from.

Thanks

Shawn

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like Mike Agbay's imagination ->Mike Agbay-> you. There is no reason for an instructor to be coy about their lineage if it's legitimate.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by swhitney222 View Post
    . We are not on speaking terms unfortunately and he would not tell anyone who taught him or how he acquired his rank. So like I said this is not to discredit or put down him, but to find out the history of were my own training originated from.
    If someone is shady on where they acquired their rank, its almost always bullshit. Sorry dude.

Style
    講手
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes it's money or beef or evolution. Let's say I trained under (insert affiliation). I'd have to pay royalties to name drop. So maybe I drop the name. Or lets say my system is different. I'm not gonna drop a lineage like they did the work. Or, let's say it's beef. How am I gonna endorse a dude as master that has beef with me? Or maybe, it IS my imagination/experience. I'm still not gonna name drop. Or let's say this isn't fucking ?ing ?un. No lineage. Can we just stop pretending that's a standard. One's skill doesn't fluctuate by staying in their "master's" good graces.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Sometimes it's money or beef or evolution. Let's say I trained under (insert affiliation). I'd have to pay royalties to name drop. So maybe I drop the name. Or lets say my system is different. I'm not gonna drop a lineage like they did the work. Or, let's say it's beef. How am I gonna endorse a dude as master that has beef with me? Or maybe, it IS my imagination/experience. I'm still not gonna name drop. Or let's say this isn't fucking ?ing ?un. No lineage. Can we just stop pretending that's a standard. One's skill doesn't fluctuate by staying in their "master's" good graces.
    Those stories are 1 in 1000 at best. It's bullshit the other 999. The chances of someone disavowing a rank after a split are not good. It's an oddity, not the standard operating procedure.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I Googled this mike character. I watched his video and you will be happy to know it doesn't matter where his lineage is from........ he sucks.
    https://youtu.be/EGkkXy3j43I

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with four different Kenpo groups between 1981 and 2005. The first was affiliated with a Tracy's school and the other three were all under SGM Parker. Sean Kelley's was the only one at the time (early 90's) that was structured really well. Sean was a Lee Wedlake / Ed Parker student and from what I can tell (internet) he has continued to change. Kenpo evolves by design and no matter what lineage it came from, it isn't going to be the same as it was back in the day.

That having been said, any martial arts instructor who won't freely tell you who taught them should expect to be challenged. In my thirty-five years of training, I have had some world-class instructors, I have trained with some out-and-out fakes and I have sparred with students with very little or no formal training who could kick an ass.

During the fifteen years you spent with Mike Agbay:

1. Did he ever have any of his instructors to visit the school?
    2. Did he wear a kung-fu uniform or the black gi associated with Kenpo?
    3. Did he issue or sell any patches denoting his style?
    4. Did any of the students actually point-blank ask him about his training & rank?

And, I was just getting to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    So I Googled this mike character. I watched his video and you will be happy to know it doesn't matter where his lineage is from........ he sucks.
    I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Sometimes it's money or beef or evolution.
    Sometimes, a cigar is a cigar. Or, in this case, kempo is kenpo.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Danny Horgan, the Boston Ginja, strikes again!

Wing Chun BLAST!

Style
    Seidokaikan
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those stories are 1 in 1000 at best. It's bullshit the other 999. The chances of someone disavowing a rank after a split are not good. It's an oddity, not the standard operating procedure.
    I don't disavow my rank in Isshinryu, but I do freely avow that it's worthless and only bring it up to show that black belts don't mean anything. I do refrain from mentioning where I got the rank online because I don't want to stir up the drama that got me kicked out in the first place.
    It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
    -AkidoMom

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... Last