Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To echo a few here,
    I have always advocated doing a training session where you pick one technique and rill the living **** out of it, in every possible situation and combination you can think off.
    Train it off grabs, strikes, standing, ground work, in the guard, from the guard, barehanded, with weapons, anything you can think off.

You will get to know the pros and cons of that moves inside out.

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 12:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sound like WS knows the submissions but doesn't know how to "set up" his opponent to get the submissions. I've got a bit of this problem too.

Anybody got tips on setting people up for submissions?

edit: What I mean is instead of waiting for an opportunity for a submission what tips do you have in creating the opportunity for a submission?

Simplistic Example: Attack the throat from the mount causes the hands to come up giving you a chance to attack them via armbar. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by jaychiu; 9/21/2004 12:29pm at .

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 12:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the rules you are fighting/sparring with .

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 1:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General submission grappling rules. No striking.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA (and others)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read a ton of great advice so far, another thing would be to map out an attack on paper. Try starting from a position, any position, then see what submissions are available to you without having to move. For example say you pick the closed guard; what do you have available to you with them in a neutral position? Now what about after your hips are shifted to one side, what if they pull away, how about thier weight/positioning, now what if you pull on one arm (what does the other do?) Work these things out on paper from one position, then once you have a series of attacks/options go and train with someone, catch is only roll about 30%, use slow movements and go until one of you gets a submission. Here is the hard part let them take the submission and apply until you tap (or they tap) once the tap has been made...Continue from where you are. You then "escape" the submission (they let you escape with 30% resistance). This drill helps both people see the potential weaknesses and strength of the respective games involved. It will also (when combined with drilling) give you the ability to multiple attack, have smoother transitions (no one is ever perfect), and generally allow you to relax even when a person has almost sunk in the submission on you (because you can always escape a submission if you know where the weakness of it is).

Hope this helps, Good luck!!
    [A friend once told me he found Jennifer Connelly hot.
    "Would she still be hot if she were melting in a car wreck, like at the end of Pollock, smelling of burnt hair and bubbling intestines?" I asked.
    "Oh hell yeah."
    "How? How would you even have sex with her?"
    "Just let her cool and fold her over, like an omolette."
    Since then we've always had this universal sign for Jennifer Connelly, it's like an "opening a book" motion, only backwards. And we are often known to softly remark "....like an omolette".]--boyd

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    9/22/2004 10:24pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Might I suggest a lobotomy?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2004 2:39pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learning can be deceptive? across different disciplines patterns emerge..

if you put decent trainning in you are learning all the time but the plateau effect seems to take hold as you are lacking the "missing" piece to take you to the next level.. ie your perception is you learn in steps

one day something clicks and you look down from where you are to the plateau below and think "how did I get up here?"

Boris
    london
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123