Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 4:21pm

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    concentrate on technique ... just relax ... and think submission ...

easy to say ... hard to do ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 6:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in this funk for a long time. Exactly the same thing, good positioning, but no subs. Then on Tuesday I kicked some major ass. Got the back and sunk in the choke. In the same day, I managed to pull of my second EVER triangle choke. I guess it just takes time.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 6:37pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about winning or losing. Whenever you think you have the slightest chance of something, GO FOR IT. Not that I do that, but I know I should.

Also, drill more. At least for me, I spend WAY too much time doing randori and WAY too little time drilling. Partly because most people don't like to get choked in reps of 40, and partly because randori is da bomb.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found it helpful to watch tapes of ADCC and the like and focus on that aspect. It isn't any easier to pull off subs, but at least I can see the openings for some now.

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 9:00pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Broaden your horizons. Try and take a seminar from someone not affiliated with your school. Roll with better guys and pay attention to how they set up their submissions. Ask them "Hey, how did you manage to get my arm trapped across my body like that?"

It sounds like you're getting position, but not locking it in well enough to leave one of your own arms free to attack. From side control, first focus on killing your opponent's near side arm - block it out so that it's waving around above his head, not braced inside against your hips. Once it's out of the way, you'll have a lot more freedom to try submissions.

Try attacks from north/south - I find it's pretty easy to maintain position here even if you screw up a submission. From mount, attack with chokes first. It's easy to maintain position with them, and when your opponent tries to block with his hand, use that as the setup for an arm attack.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    5/15/2004 8:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It happens, I usually try to focus on a different aspect of my training, (i.e. try new techniques, work more technique, or the opposite and work more conditioning, etc,), I've been grappling for over 4 years now, not including collegiate style wrestling, and I go through plateaus and then upturns all the time, it's just part of the game. Another good option is to find some new people to train with, from your school or different schools, I find that it helps me break the rut much more quickly because wrestling with many different individuals and their styles makes me use different strategies and techniques, thus forcing me to open up my game.

***ned

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 3:02am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, think about a private lesson with your grappling coach or a well regarded grappling instructor in your area (a black belt in BJJ could be a start). Being able to have that outside input, especially coming from someone a lot more experienced and knowledgable than you, is invaluable. Ask them what areas you should be working on, share your struggles. They've all been there. It goes without saying, but being able to train in a gym dedicated exclusively to grappling is very important too. But then, that's because of the instructor. But yeah, just a few thoughts.

You should pick one aspect of your grappling and just work on it like crazy. Drill, drill, drill. Get your reps in. That's right, reps. You'll be amazed how much just doing reps of techniques really helps you. That's right, BJJ kata. Say, you want to get good at armbar from guard. You drill that for at least 10 hours worth of reps. Then you start working in combos, etc. Work on it until you can hit the armbar from guard on ANYONE at your skill level, period. Work on it until you get bored with it. Then move on to something else.

Also, start writing in a training journal. It really does help. It helps you to visualize in your head the techniques and the mechanics of them. I've found that you get those "Ah hah!" moments a lot more when you start keeping a journal. I think that that's one of the greatest things about grappling. It's a very personal journey and you should be able to use your own mind and creativeness to help you.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 4:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Argh, at least it's a plataeu, I feel like I'm going backwards sometimes. Just yesterday I tapped to an armbar, and realised immediately after there was absolutely nothing to prevent me from rolling out of it. :(

Thanks for the tips bunyip. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 11:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my opinion would be to pick one or two subs from each postiton and drill the crap out of them.spend alot of time working on the entrance to them, start slow and work up speed. then when you get in randori don't treat it as a fight just use it as a training oppertunity to use those subs. sometimes you have so many options that you can't focus on what you want to do. with only one or two subs you focus on looking for oppertunites.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    9/21/2004 12:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop fighting your homoerotic urges.

I mean "romoerotic".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast