Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:19am

Style: BJJ, MT, Haidong Gumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hits to the head

I've been sparring a lot lately, and I'm a little concerened about head hits. I train at a couple of places, the main one is MT and BJJ, and we do pretty intense stand up sparring. I've taken some good shots to the ol noggin... Should i be worried about this? Last night I went home with a pretty bad headache, and I notice my Pupils were seriously dialated. I wondering if I didn't have a mild concussion or something. Though its great motivation to get better, should I be worried about hits to the head? How much is too much? I really apreciate any advice you guys have on this...

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:31am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Headaches are a weird thing, I usually get them during/after contact fighting because 1. I'm dehydrated or 2. My head's snapped back, aggravating an old neck injury. I wouldn't stop just because of a headache, but it's definitely something to keep track of.

It's one thing to have dilated pupils...that's a common result of violent (if simulated) confrontations i.e. fight or flight. It's when the pupils are different sizes that you have a concussion, and a really good reason to stop.

Stop if you observe these:
    Signs of a Concussion:
    * Loss of consciousness (no ****)
    * Extreme fatigue (immediately following injury)
    * Memory loss (long term/short term)
    * Dizziness
    * Headache (following injury occurrence)
    * Balance problems
    * Ringing in ears
    * Visual differences
    * Pupil size differences
    * Nausea
    * Breathing difficulties
    * Tingling in arms/legs/body

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'm quite concerned about this too. I've noticed that since my change to MMA, on the way home it's not unusual for me to have this kind of weird floating-feeling like headache and slight nausea sometimes. At first I wrote it off to an adrenalin dump, but I figured it should go down after a while. Two and a half months later, it still happens, usually if I eat something big.

I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for noticeable brain damage in future. :(

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:49am

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last people you need to take advice from are people on the net whom you know NOTHING about. How many people on this board give you the feeling they don't train at all? A lot like to talk like they train harder than Tyson and have more experience, but you (Nor I) know for sure. Get the opinion of a martial artist whom you respect. You don't want to end up punchy, because some zit faced 14 yr old says "ah, don't worry about it".

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:53am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by CaptShady
    Get the opinion of a martial artist whom you respect. You don't want to end up punchy, because some zit faced 14 yr old says "ah, don't worry about it".
    First off, did any one say "don't worry about it?" No.
    Second, how about getting the opinion of a doctor, and not a martial artist?
    Third, he probably respects most of the posters (i.e. martial artists he respects) on Bullshido and is posting to ask their opinions.

Jackass.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 5:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's quite right - opinions. Just because someone posts it means I believe it. It's just another source of information to be reviewed.

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 7:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are concerned, see your doc, they will find any signs of a concussion.
    BUT, and this is very important, try to NOT get hit in the head, ok?
    In all my years I have ONLY been ko'd once ( choked out is another story), but I have had 2 concussions ( no such thing as a mild one).
    Learn to move your head, evade, evade and evade, and keep your chin down, eyes and hands up, ALWAYS.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 7:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tip, but you do realise the futility of a MMA n00b like me saying "I don't want to be hit in the head"?

I don't choose to get pounded in the head y'know. :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2004 10:02am

Style: BJJ, MT, Haidong Gumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies guys. BTW I train in Korea captshady, and Doctors are expensive and its hard to talk to people in a language I haven't mastered. I also respect the members of this forum, as a lot of them(watch the throwdown clips) have a lot more experience than I.

A part of the problem, I think, is that I train at a place that churns out pro fighters, for the Spirit MC league in S. Korea. They go pretty damn hard. Anyways, I'm not to worried about getting knocked out once or twice. I've had two concussions, one from Rugby and one from Hockey. My worry is about sparring on a regular basis. How do the rest of you spar/train? How hard do you go? I'm gonna be in an amatuer ring fight in about a month, but its mostly for fun. If I get knocked out once or twice in my life its ok... my main concern is with the training I do on a regular basis.
    Last edited by silver; 5/15/2004 10:05am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2004 10:37am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Friend,

If you've had a bad head injury, and your pupils are persistently dilated, you should go see a doctor immediately and get a head CT.

This isn't a question about a concussion. What I'm worried about is that you may have increased intracranial pressure, which is a true medical emergency. What may have happened is that the fluid that normally drains from your brain (cerebral spinal fluid) may not be draining properly, likely because the drainage mechanisms are blocked off. This will compress the rest of your brain, and may, if not treated, herniate your brainstem through the base of your skull, causing death or permanent paralysis.

Here is a website describing this... please disregard that it talks about pediatric patients. Please note that it is caused by severe head injury, and a sign of it is fixed, dilated pupils.

http://www.med.monash.edu.au/paediat...urces/icp.html

At best, it may just be a concussion. At worst, you may have a life threatening condition. You won't know until you see a doctor.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast