Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tosetti Institute of MMA & Fitness in Redwood City, California

Tosetti institute of MMA & Fitness (formerly known as Fearless Fitness) in Redwood City, CA. is a joke.

The wannabes instructors there never compete in meaningful tournaments or actually have any fights. This place is ran by some soccer moms and a weird looking bearded white guy who thinks he's some kind of jedi master, lol! And that guy doesn't really know much at all. He went to Erik Paulson's seminar and all of a sudden he thinks he's a martial arts master opening some mickey mouse dojo. The so-called western fencing he's teaching, he learned that sh*t from books/videos.

Spend your money elsewhere that's a lot better. This place is a joke.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinman View Post
    Tosetti institute of MMA & Fitness (formerly known as Fearless Fitness) in Redwood City, CA. is a joke.

The wannabes instructors there never compete in meaningful tournaments or actually have any fights. This place is ran by some soccer moms and a weird looking bearded white guy who thinks he's some kind of jedi master, lol! And that guy doesn't really know much at all. He went to Erik Paulson's seminar and all of a sudden he thinks he's a martial arts master opening some mickey mouse dojo. The so-called western fencing he's teaching, he learned that sh*t from books/videos.

Spend your money elsewhere that's a lot better. This place is a joke.
    The owner's name is Paul Tosetti. What a joke this place is.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread moved from MABS to YMAS.
    Low content thread and unsubstantiated claims. Sad that it sat in MABS for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's make MABS and YMAS great again!
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://instituteofmma.com/

I haven't seen any claims of any rank and few names of instructors for that matter. Their facebook presence looks pretty data, maybe someone who cares can check it out. I don't do facebook. Maybe invite them here for discussion because this thread looks and sounds like sour grapes or hurt feelings but there are a number of questions their website doesn't begin to answer. I would like to hear their side of this and get more information on the MMA and Kids Classes.

Quote Originally Posted by website
    Our Kids MMA classes are fun, high-energy sessions emphasizing physical fitness, conditioning, coordination, and concentration.

As they improve, students may earn the opportunity to further develop their skills through light sparring. We offer children an environment to develop self-esteem, confidence, discipline, and respect for others.

The class sizes are kept small with no more than fifteen students per class, allowing our coaches to work more closely with each student. The Kids MMA classes are available to children aged seven and up.

Coach Paul has been teaching kids (and entire families) Martial Arts since 1996. He keeps the classes fun while still maintaining discipline. He has a unique ability to quickly figure out how each student grasps information and adjusts accordingly.
    This is one of the few references to an Instructor and it claims Paul has been teaching since 1996 but no mention of style, accomplishments, linage, or certifications. It is hard to tell if it is terrible Marketing and Web Design or if the vagueness is hiding something.

Based on the videos of these fellows I can find the HEMA stuff looks fun and ... nothing on the MMA side of things.

BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TLDR;: sloppy reading missed this page just found it
    1. Our Striking classes are influenced by Kung Fu, San Shou, Muay Thai and Boxing.
    2. Our Grappling classes are influenced by Catch Wrestling, Folkstyle Wrestling and No-Gi Jiu Jitsu
    3. Our Takedowns class is influenced by Wrestling, Judo, Shuai Shou and San Shou.
    ... NINE (9) Arts including No-Gi Jiu Jitsu ...

Our MMA program is taught in separate Striking, Grappling and Takedowns classes. Once you learn the fundamentals of each program in our Basic classes, you will combine the three techniques in our Advanced classes.

Striking

Our Striking classes are influenced by Kung Fu, San Shou, Muay Thai and Boxing. The Basic Striking classes focus on proper striking techniques utilizing hands, feet, elbows, and knees. Fundamental offensive and defensive skills along with stances and footwork are taught. As you advance, you will learn the proper timing and distance to apply the techniques you have learned. Contact drills and sparring are introduced and developed in this class.

Grappling

Our Grappling classes are influenced by Catch Wrestling, Folkstyle Wrestling and No-Gi Jiu Jitsu. Classes incorporate live rolling and build from position work (escapes, reversals, transitions and riding) to submission techniques (such as joint locks, chokes, cranks and compression locks). Advanced students learn to strike and defend from the ground.

Takedowns

A takedown is the technique for off-balancing an opponent to take them to the ground. The Takedowns class is the bridge between the Striking and the Grappling classes. You will learn sweeps, leg attacks and throws as well as defenses against these attacks. Our Takedowns class is influenced by Wrestling, Judo, Shuai Shou and San Shou.
    oh god I don't know how I missed this.... https://instituteofmma.com/classes/mma/

That explains a lot and I would love to see these guys in action. Omega teaches a good MMA program so ... hopefully these guys are good enough to field some fighters... even just one.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    TLDR;: sloppy reading missed this page just found it
    1. Our Striking classes are influenced by Kung Fu, San Shou, Muay Thai and Boxing.
    2. Our Grappling classes are influenced by Catch Wrestling, Folkstyle Wrestling and No-Gi Jiu Jitsu
    3. Our Takedowns class is influenced by Wrestling, Judo, Shuai Shou and San Shou.
    ... NINE (9) Arts including No-Gi Jiu Jitsu ...

oh god I don't know how I missed this.... https://instituteofmma.com/classes/mma/

That explains a lot and I would love to see these guys in action. Omega teaches a good MMA program so ... hopefully these guys are good enough to field some fighters... even just one.
    "Folkstyle Wrestling" what some folks have decided in the last decade to start calling Collegiate wrestling... Why? I don't know, I guess it sounds more grown up. I start to worry when I see stuff like this listed as MMA though.

Wait... They see takedowns as something other than grappling? WTF? If you are already teaching wrestling and Judo why do you need a takedown class for? I mean in every form of wrestling neutral position is on the feet, thus leading to takedowns.
    Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 3/13/2017 8:46am at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    https://instituteofmma.com/

I haven't seen any claims of any rank and few names of instructors for that matter. Their facebook presence looks pretty data, maybe someone who cares can check it out. I don't do facebook. Maybe invite them here for discussion because this thread looks and sounds like sour grapes or hurt feelings but there are a number of questions their website doesn't begin to answer. I would like to hear their side of this and get more information on the MMA and Kids Classes.

This is one of the few references to an Instructor and it claims Paul has been teaching since 1996 but no mention of style, accomplishments, linage, or certifications. It is hard to tell if it is terrible Marketing and Web Design or if the vagueness is hiding something.

Based on the videos of these fellows I can find the HEMA stuff looks fun and ... nothing on the MMA side of things.

Those fucks keep walking on the mats with shoes on....... I hate that.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Those fucks keep walking on the mats with shoes on....... I hate that.
    Well maybe they mop them down before their "grappling" and "takedown" classes. Though somehow I doubt it.

As a side note, and quite serious question, are tatami mats waterproof so that you can even mop them or will they absorb the moisture and mold?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Well maybe they mop them down before their "grappling" and "takedown" classes. Though somehow I doubt it.

As a side note, and quite serious question, are tatami mats waterproof so that you can even mop them or will they absorb the moisture and mold?
    Almost all mats are some sort of foam now days. Zebra mats are absorbant but you can mop them with mat cleaner.
    Dollamur/swain flexiroll Tatami are antimicrobial and don't absorb anything. You can mop them as well. Those are the only kinds I have ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last