Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    What do you want to know?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Tell him about badge bunnies...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Arnis/Kenpo hybrid
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Tell him about badge bunnies...
    Lol. Those are sort of a mix of myth and reality.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I know, you went through Marine Corps basic and all that, so the physical aspects won't be that big a deal to you.
    Maybe.

Moose - what was your medical discharge for? Are you fucked up physically?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And you might not care to talk about the logistics, but we're going to anyway. It sounds like you're trying to bite off more than anyone can chew.

Do you know what kind of schedule you'd be working? For instance, my buddy is a sheriff's deputy and they work a crazy fucking schedule. Two weeks on day shift, then two weeks on night shift. Four days on. Four days off. I'm sure your schedule could very well be different, but if you don't know you better ask. That's some crazy **** for a student to try to deal with.

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    And you might not care to talk about the logistics, but we're going to anyway. It sounds like you're trying to bite off more than anyone can chew.

Do you know what kind of schedule you'd be working? For instance, my buddy is a sheriff's deputy and they work a crazy fucking schedule. Two weeks on day shift, then two weeks on night shift. Four days on. Four days off. I'm sure your schedule could very well be different, but if you don't know you better ask. That's some crazy **** for a student to try to deal with.
    I feel like the timeline isn't adequately conveyed. I'm 24, and the only career I ever wanted is kicking me out earlier then anticipated.

Right now I'm in a great position, I have a ba in psych, paid for by TA, so I only have about a year and a half of god awful classes before I can apply to med school.

I still don't know what I want to do. Luckily, I'm young enough to be able to try both. Becoming a deputy will not put any undue strain on me, and 6 months isn't that much time at all, for training.

I'm not sure I want to be a doctor, I'm not sure I want to be a cop. I can't decide. I guess it's the naivety of youth that is driving me to try both. If I drop a few years into being a deputy and realize I hate it, I can still attend med school.

As for school while working, that's something I'm going to have to test out. Obviously my first priority will be becoming a competent deputy.

I appreciate the insight, gentleman.

As for the reasons of my medical retirement, I don't feel comfortable posting them on an open forum.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    I feel like the timeline isn't adequately conveyed. I'm 24, and the only career I ever wanted is kicking me out earlier then anticipated.

Right now I'm in a great position, I have a ba in psych, paid for by TA, so I only have about a year and a half of god awful classes before I can apply to med school.

I still don't know what I want to do. Luckily, I'm young enough to be able to try both. Becoming a deputy will not put any undue strain on me, and 6 months isn't that much time at all, for training.

I'm not sure I want to be a doctor, I'm not sure I want to be a cop. I can't decide. I guess it's the naivety of youth that is driving me to try both. If I drop a few years into being a deputy and realize I hate it, I can still attend med school.

As for school while working, that's something I'm going to have to test out. Obviously my first priority will be becoming a competent deputy.

I appreciate the insight, gentleman.

As for the reasons of my medical retirement, I don't feel comfortable posting them on an open forum.
    Be advised again that it takes more than six months of training to become a cop.

If you get hired, it'll likely take about four to six months. After that, you'll have to wait a couple months (probably) to start your academy. THEN you have 6 months of the academy. THEEEN you have another 4-6 months of FTO, which involves your every action being watched and scrutinized by a senior officer who is training you.

So the total training time to be a cop out on your own is closer to a year, not counting how long it takes to actually get through an incredibly long and competitive hiring process.

And while it's cool that you wanna figure things out, as I mentioned before, don't let on at all that you're just 'trying it' to the powers that are hiring you, because then I can guarantee you won't get picked.

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting the hiring process now, so if I'm selected, I'll start the academy shortly after I retire.

So what is being a cop like?

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    So what is being a cop like?
    When I graduated the police academy, the instructor who gave the keynote speech opened up with, 'Being a cop is going to work everyday with a ticket to the greatest show on earth.'

I think that's a pretty apt description, on the surface.

Style
    Arnis/Kenpo hybrid
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard to define because its different for everyone. Its different for me now as a detective Lt than it was as a patrolman, Sergeant, Patrol Lt. And my perspective has changed over the last 15 years.

While the politics of police leadership and dealing with a less than stellar DAs office has been making me more cynical these days, I still remind myself that I make a good living seeing and doing things most people will never see or do and that I still enjoy the "work".

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What did you enjoy most?

I agree with moosey

Page 2 of 10 First 123456 ... Last