Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,404
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, in fact I think you should just build one of these Ducati Terra Mostro conversions instead, just to piss off motherfuckers like Tramirez.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-nUxGx1weI

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    576
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I want a bike for adventures and to escape the zombie apocalypse.

    Both bikes do pretty much the samish job. And I am struggling to decide sort of.

    I am leaning more towards the klr.
    I took my father's klr 650 out on the road (highway and paved back road) last Monday. With just a single cylinder it vibrated like a ************ and actually left my hands tingling for a while after the ride. At 5'10" I was just okay to touch the ground, another half inch and I would have been on my toes. It's not as heavy as it seems, though. I know this because the spark plug's line came loose about a mile out on my way home and I ended up just pushing it the rest of the way. Uphill.

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,582
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    I took my father's klr 650 out on the road (highway and paved back road) last Monday. With just a single cylinder it vibrated like a ************ and actually left my hands tingling for a while after the ride. At 5'10" I was just okay to touch the ground, another half inch and I would have been on my toes. It's not as heavy as it seems, though. I know this because the spark plug's line came loose about a mile out on my way home and I ended up just pushing it the rest of the way. Uphill.
    I just realized that what he needs is one of these...



    Problem solved...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    576
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I just realized that what he needs is one of these...



    Problem solved...
    I hear it's a lot harder to pick up than a dropped klr. I would hate to have stalled that last week.

    Unless I'm confused; is that just the gs 800? I'm thinking of the 1100 and if this isn't it, it may be lighter.

  5. #15
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,582
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    I hear it's a lot harder to pick up than a dropped klr. I would hate to have stalled that last week.

    Unless I'm confused; is that just the gs 800? I'm thinking of the 1100 and if this isn't it, it may be lighter.
    That is an 1100, I believe... I saw a GS 800 inu the parking lot of the grocery store last night. It was water cooled. The one in the photo I posted is the traditional horizontally opposed boxer twin. Which is what I would want, as they are much lighter.


    I am too small to pick any of them up, even when I was a lot younger and stronger. One reason I never got a big bike of any sort to ride.

    I had had my sights wet on a smaller (street) Beemer for a long time, but never got one. They are light enough I can handle them safely. Like this:


    The boxer twins are a pretty light, relatively speaking.

    I see BMW makes a single-thumper on/off road bike as well. I bet it's a lot smoother than a KLR...

    yeah, here ya go...
    "The G 650 GS is robust, powerful and yet still extremely light, weighing just 430 lbs (195 kg) with a full tank. With its low fuel consumption and simple handling, it is not just ideal for beginning motorcyclists. Its slim, athletic stature in a youthful and typically adventure-style design stands for uncomplicated riding pleasure and pure fun."
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    576
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    yeah, here ya go...
    "The G 650 GS is robust, powerful and yet still extremely light, weighing just 430 lbs (195 kg) with a full tank. With its low fuel consumption and simple handling, it is not just ideal for beginning motorcyclists. Its slim, athletic stature in a youthful and typically adventure-style design stands for uncomplicated riding pleasure and pure fun."
    That sounds pretty nice. Does that smaller size sacrifice gas tank or size at the back for suitcases? If distance adventure riding is a goal that might be something else to consider. No doubt it's smoother than the klr though!

  7. #17
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,582
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    That sounds pretty nice. Does that smaller size sacrifice gas tank or size at the back for suitcases? If distance adventure riding is a goal that might be something else to consider. No doubt it's smoother than the klr though!
    Not sure if the G650 is designed for touring or not. It gets like 74 mpg so a large gas tank might not be such an issue.

    I know that one of my judo sensei was a big time biker who owned a BMW 1000 touring bike (think it was a 79 or early '80s model). We did some of cross country travel on it to judo training camps and tournaments.

    He told me the smaller boxer Beemers were nice, but a bit underpowered (this was back then) for serious touring with a full load, even for (then) 145 pound guy like me.

    I bet for commuting the G 650 would do just fine, and be fun off-road as well. Best thing is to go ride one, LOL, and see !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #18
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    3,001
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got the klr by the way. I pick it up tomorrow. When I have given it a decent ride I will let you know what I think.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  9. #19
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,582
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I got the klr by the way. I pick it up tomorrow. When I have given it a decent ride I will let you know what I think.
    Cool, look forward to it !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #20
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,404
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to get my hands on one of these.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CRzP_NMIYrU

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in