Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 7:26pm

Style: MantisShrimpFu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wristlocks and Aliveness.

It is my understanding that wristlocks are considered "small joint manipulation" and are therefore banned from MMA competition. The reason for this is that some wristlocks are likely to cause a break before the opponent can tap.

If this is correct then it prompts the question: If wristlocks are too dangerous for competition then wouldn't if follow that they are too dangerous for "alive" (full resistance) training?

If they can't be trained in an "alive" mannor then how would someone determine there actual ability to execute such a lock during an actual fight?

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 7:37pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you made the same case for elbows this thread would be more interesting.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wristlocks aren't small joint manipulations I don't think. They're allowed in the UFC...

They can be trained in an alive manner - they don't work.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sheeeet, the dude i used to grapple with used to try them all the time on me, got it once or twice too, and that was pretty alive i think. unless you guys are talking about standing wristlocks, then i'd agree, standing wristlocks make baby jesus cry.

of course i blame it on me getting into a fight with a brick, but that's a separate story.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Hsing-I, Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's called training. After a while, you get to where you can execute a joint lock at full speed and stop right before everything turns loose. Even though all joint locks can be breaks, you can't take it that far in training, otherwise students quit coming to class.

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm talking about standing wristlocks.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Chemist

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tomiki style aikido goes all out, if Mong still posted here he could tell you all about it
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How so? maybe if you're holding on to the guy with one hand...

Chemist

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wrist locks are a lot more useful against unsuspecting schmos then well-trained fighters
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've yet to see one being pulled off. I don't think they are very good/workable techniques.

Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast