Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 11:53am

Style: Bad Parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

the army's world class athlete program and the marine's martial art program

I cannot take both of these at once, so I was wondering after I mastered the marines basic and advanced individual training, then gotten black belt in Marine Kwan Do or whatever, Could I switch over to the Army's World Class Athlete Program as an MOS in the position of Boxer? The army recruiters are very vague on this and if anyone that's in the army posts I'd be very thankful

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a feasible idea. It would take a very special person though...with the warrior spirit. Do you think you can handle it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 12:43pm

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, the MCMAP is not going to really prepare you for boxing matches. The Army's world class athlete program is just that, WORLD CLASS. These guys are at Olympic levels. While it's not impossible, it is unrealistic. You would have to try out for the boxing position, meaning you would have to be damn good to get it. You don't just enlist for it. It isn't an MOS. All of those athletes have an MOS in addition to being a competitor for the Army.

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 12:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MCMAP is not a primary MOS, so you would first need to think about a contract with the Marine Corps under some other specialty. Your first order of business would be to prove you have what takes to be a Marine...and remember that whenever dealing with a recruiter that the only thing you will be guaranteed is what is in your contract.

Joining the military with the primary focus of (empty hand) martial arts is not a good career plan.

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are NOT that much better, except you get "paid" to do MA and you can do them as much as you can handle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:26pm

Style: BJJ, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen MCMAP guys compete in amateur MMA events, and I've trained with a few. What they lack in technique they'll sometmes make up for in heart. They can stand and bang pretty well, but they don't fair as well on the ground.

Also, a lot of MCMAP is geared toward weapon improvisation on a battlefield setting. It's not exactly for combat sports. They do have a belt system. Every graduate from Marine recruit training is considered a tan belt.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joining the military to learn hand-to-hand is like going to art school to learn how to do surgery. You might learn some basics, but becoming good at it ain't gonna happen. You have to spend years in the Marines to become a black belt in MCMAPS. I believe you have to be a Staff Sgt, which is a good 8-10 year hitch. Even then, you'll have a black belt in a system that is designed to be used by grunts in the field, with rifles and full packs on, not exactly what you would use in UFC.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/13/2004 3:44am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

By all means please join the marines. Besides you already have to be good to go All Army and its not an MOS you keep you MOS becuase you are only in the program for about 2yrs then you go back to your regular job, kf you have time left on your contract. But don't join the Army, PLEASE!!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2004 6:51am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    c'mon, Asia. We gotta have some dumb privates to work in the chow hall and finance. :)

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 6:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Mathius100 would benefit most from joining the French Foreign Legion, plus it would keep him out of the U.S. military, I don't think they need a real life Gomer Pyle.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast