Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 7:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hours and hours and hours...

Ok, so, you train 3 hours a day or more, you train 5-6 days a week, YOU HAVE NO FUCKING LIFE !!!!!!!

You train more than PRO fighter do off-season !!

You read way too many magazines and hollywood articles and BELIEVE what they write !!!

If you ARE working out ALL those hours, why????

You must be thin as a rail, considering that an typical MA workout can burn 600 calories of more, then JUST working out you are burning 1800 calories per day !!!

Hello Mr.Ethiopia !!!

Typical workout for a Pro boxer off-season: 1.5 to 2 hours 4 times a week, and I say PRO boxer.
    Coming up on a fight :
    for a period lasting no more than 8 weeks:
    2 workouts per day, 1.5 hours EACH and a max of 6 days per week, again, a PRO boxer and ONLY for 8 weeks.

Guys, IF you ARE workking out THAT much ( 3 hours a day 5 days a week) something is gonna give, and that something is YOU.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: 5AF & Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old teacher would sometimes traind us for hours and hours on end...... I remember traning for 8 hours strait one day it felt like the first day of football season EVERY DAY. I trained this way 3 times a week with my teacher for at least 4 hours at a time. then on off days I was practicing and sparring with friends for no less than 2 hours a day. During this time I wasn't in school and had a job where I only worked mabey 4 or 5 hours a day 4 times a week. sometimes I would take 1 or two days a week off, sometimes i wouldn't take a day off for a month.

What you say about somethings got to give is true though. I remember sleeping for 15 hours at a time and sometimes eating full meals 8 or 9 times a day. Usually on the days I took off I would be to tired to do anything and sometimes I would be to worn out to get out of the bed except to go and get something to eat or go to the bathroom, and i would just lay their until I HAD to go somewhere.

so yes training to much could be a bad thing i guess if you have a life besides training and can't sleep all of the time....

Now, I train BJJ for 2 hours 3 times a week and that is just the right amount for me I think. Sometimes if I feel like it I'll sparr with friends of lift weights on my off days but for the most part I just rest. I would probobly still be training really hard though if I didn't have a full time job (where i'm at when i post) and a wife.

But either way, yes something has to give. either your freetime or your art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *looks behind*

...are you talkin' to me?

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I have gone through those 8 hours marathon sessions, can't remember WHY or what I got out of them, but I did them...
    Silly quantity over quality training.
    Usually kata and more kata and fundamentals and more fundamentals and more kata and more kata and running and sit ups and ARGH !!!!!!!! muscle pulls and twisted ankles and bruises and all kinds of stupid ****, why ??

Cause some instructor was on a fucking ego trip !!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read in a magazine (can't remember which one) last year that some Kyokushin dojo still do all night training sessions, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly it was supposed to be some sort of black belt grading or black belt ritual.

I used to train 3 hour sessions until ronin showed me the light. Now I stop myself at 2 - 2.5 hours, even though his advice is to stop at 1.5 hours. Still though, if the first 20 minutes is warmup and the last 20-30 minutes is cool-down then I feel the 2.5 hours is justified. That way at least an hour is INTENSE.

I now train 3-4 sessions per week, but with a twist, because per the advice of Thomas Kurz at www.stadion.com, I do leg lifts as soon as I wake up and leg lifts before I go to bed with some relaxed splits practice afterwards. I find it is much easier to do power high kicks with no warmup lately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and BTW I've gained approx. 10 lbs since I received the advice last fall.

From 145 to 155 lbs. Not bad for about six months:D

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 9:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good man, by the way, NEVER include warm ups, cool downs and stretching in your "work out" time.
    So , if you "work out" for 2 hours and you spend 40 min doing that stuff, you are working out for 80 min.

Cool?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    exactly

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 9:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin I am not kissing ass here but once again your 100% correct. I think thats why I got sick. I was over training and pushing myself too hard and not giving myself time to rest.The harder you push yourself and the more you do, the more time you need to give your body to recover. From now on its 3 martial arts training sessions a week no more the 2 hours. Or 2 martial arts session per week and running on weekends. Thats all I have time for anyway.I think that would suite me better.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 9:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You train for a marathon IF you are running in a marathon.
    MA should be something you can do for the rest of your life.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast