Posted On:
    6/29/2004 3:03pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    May as well drop a link to the real West Wind thread here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...threadid=12882
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "HAHAHAH

THAT'S A PICTURE OF ME THERE. LMAO LMAO.

I LOOK KIND OF STUPID THERE, I'M NOT TELLING YOU WHICH ONE I AM, KIND OF EMBARASSING.

THANKFULLY I FOUND THE LIGHT."

What are you talking about here Inverse.... I thought you were talking about someone's avatar (picture under their name).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 5:30pm

Style: Kajagoogoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I find particularly disturbing about the McDojo phenomenon just so happens to be well illustrated by this school; that is, the "culture" built around the students, which insulates them from criticism and bolsters their self-esteem (e.g. the legions of rabid fans screaming for a shitty performance of a shitty kata). I think this particular facet should be listed as one of the key factors that make a McDojo. Perhaps I'll start a new thread on this topic at a later date.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 5:14pm

Style: black belt in SSF2T

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by bunyip
    May as well drop a link to the real West Wind thread here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...threadid=12882
    haha thanks.

I was part of the school. I don't want to put in too much details, THEY MIGHT HUNT ME DOWN FOR MORE LESSONS.

Anywhoo, after joining, I found it was very money hungry and cultish, I wanted to go away from it. Since my parents paid the whopping amount of $$$ for it, I decided to stay just for them. At first I was enthusiastic about learning MA from there, but after a few weeks, I found that they sucked. Only buisness wide sparring, sparring after 1 1/2 years, and not much sparring.

I told my parents that I didn't want to study there anymore, but they were like "why won't you just finish your belt" I told them that I was just hitting air, not that I think Kata is useless or anything, I just find that I learn best by hitting and getting hit.

Believe it or not, I did gain a little bit from there. I became a little more flexible and a little stronger. Many of the group classes focous on getting a low "kick me in the jimmy" stance, and that made my legs a little stronger. There were some real good guys there, some with a lot of potential, a lot of the good ones leave, but a small number stay.

My cousin showed me some MT stuff from my city's gym. I thought it was very efficient. Now I compared WW to MT, and after that short 15 min lesson from my cousin, I realized now that I learned more from that 15 min than my few months in WW.

My parents wanted to see me go through the system, and be a black belt, and that learning martial arts was good for me. I told I had wanted to quit again, I told them I don't like hitting air, but I guess a black belt wouldn't be bad, and I thought that TMA > Sport arts back then. They signed me up for more lessons. I said to my self.....yeah they are kind of cultish, maybe it shows respect or something. I guess since I was already 1/3 way through the system that it would be best to just stay there instead of going to a new school.

I decided to do some 50% contact point sparring with an acquaintance of mine at school one day, I had zero sparring experience, my friend of mine was a boxer and was pretty athletic, he had like 3 months TKD experience too.

He of course won (BUT IT WASNT A SLAUGHTER!!) by 3 or 4 points (i dunno the points, or the point system) it was like 2 years ago. None of that stuff worked in the sparring, so I just went with what I thought was efficient. I was doing some flashy kicks, but he just kept evading that ****. Now I think I punch pretty hard, not real hard but getting a few jabs in him, even at 50% speed, I thought would slow him down a bit but it didn't, he easily saw that coming. Oh yeah, I was in funky stances doing that. My friend of mine got me with a few jabs, man it feels wierd to get hit in the face. This friend of mine could have beaten me easily, but I guess he went easy on me, or he hasn't seen kicks before. Meh.

Ok, this is what pissed me off. Many instructors are just students. I didn't like the idea of someone who is just a few ranks above me teaching me, not to mention, some of the instructors had bad basics, and I had better basics. This is pure McDojo.

I was invited into the instructors training. Out of all the students, I felt a little honored of being chosen to go to instructors training.

Oh yeah, I don't like the fact that I'm teaching for free so I immediately quit.

How did I know that I was getting taught free?
    -they like $$$
    -they never mention anything about money in the instructors training

Anywhoo, this is how it ended......

I told my parents that hitting air is useless (again). I wanted to quit ASAP. But since they already paid that large amounts of $$$, my parents wanted me to stay. I told them that I wasn't learning anything usefull and it's better to save the time and energy and just quit, watching TV is imo better than learning inneffective moves. My parents gave me a hissy-fit and I'd argue with them before private lessons.

Yeah, it sounds selfish, just quitting even if your parents, working hours and hours to get you into that school, to just quit.

BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN TO THAT PLACE, IN THE POSITION I WAS, NOTHING CAN EXPLAIN HOW NOT GOING IS A BETTER BENIFIT THAN GOING.

So I went and finished the lessons. In the lessons I didn't even really try. I wasn't motivated to learn. My last lesson, my teacher told me why I should stay. He told me stupid reasons. I'll just say that. My teacher said that everyone who leaves the system regrets it some time in their life. He tells me that it would be disrespectful to just leave like that, even though that was the last lesson that was paid for. He said that I should just go to the C.O.R.E. face to face and tell them that I am quitting.

THAT MADE ME MAD. YOU KNOW THAT WAS JUST BAIT TO BUY MORE LESSONS.

Me, not really, I don't regret waisting $$$ and hitting air, and having buisness wide tournaments, having $$$ hungry instructors and all that.

¡Viva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:55pm

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just looking at those pictures on the front somehow I get the feeling they are all jamming out to "Can't Touch This" by MC Hamer.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 3:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats cause theyre Too Legit To Quit .

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hardcore that these guys have finally started to have their fraudulent enterprise fall apart.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, did we ever find out why these guys finally collapsed, for the most part?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 11:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was a part of West Wind Bok Fu... in the begining it was very good. They taught well and their classes were small and well organized. The teachers were full on blackbelts and have studied martial arts for a long time. But as i got up higher in the ranks, my teachers got weaker and weaker.... they threw in some brand new blackbets or so called blackbelts who trained in their accelerated program. as the years went by they kept trying to haggle me for money. my school died out and there are about only 4 left because they are soo expensive and money hungry. they really try to intimidate you but they are crap. it use to be legit and great but now its gone to hell and im glad i left that school for Muay Thai. i would have recommended this school 10 years ago.... but now i dispise how they have turned out and what they are now...
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789