Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 12:34pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's with the damn turtlenecks?!?!?
    Only other place I've seen that "look" black uniform trimmed with red or gold and a turtleneck underneath was in Kuk Sool Won.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bunyip, any plans for some investigative reporting getting finalized?

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 12:59pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My own standup sucks so much... If I can block a punch by the end of summer, I'll see what I can do.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Skeptic

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just watched the first video of an Instructors "tournament". It looked like they were doing XMA before XMA was cool. Looked more like a sucky demo.

Did anyone else who watched it actually see any techniques CONNECT?

Skeptic

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK...I just watched a few more vids and this group has got to be the funniest **** I've seen since Yellow Bamboo.

The escrima "tournament" looked like slap-fighting with sticks. Looked like no thought was given to range, weapon handling, nothing. Just whack each other with sticks....and WTFing **** is with the damn outfits these people wear?!?

The board breaking....ummm...right....yeah....next.

The "self-defense" video? That was just a pretty XMA-ish demo passed off for self-defense. If that is really the crux of their instruction in self-defense, their students are in trouble.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:17pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah guys have you checked out their video section. You know me I tend not to make fun of peoples fighting but this is stupid:

http://www.westwindschools.com/video/index.html
    Last edited by Omega; 5/12/2004 1:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:49pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wish I could get over them damn patches, that just looks tacky.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm completely stunned. I watched all the videos and I don't know what the **** to think.

The first three videos are some of the worst stuff I've ever seen.

#4 looks like some medicore boxing but it is hard for me to tell because the video always stop, starts, a skips. Can anyone tell me if the video is supposed to do that, like the people think it is cool special effect?

#7 has a nice little choreographed fight sequence. I can't knock people for doing that, I've done it myself in almost every demonstration I've been in.

#8 and #9 have some breaking stuff that I probably can't do but I've seen before. I can respect the fact I can't do it, but also know there is no real reason to want to be able to do it.

#10 I had a real problem with. 6 year olds should not be boxing. I don't care how fun or safe it is, I can't see myself letting my kid do that. I don't believe in teach kids how to fight, especially when they may be too young to understand the consequences. Maybe that's not what the program is about, but the choice of "Momma Said Knock You Out" as the background music seemed to be telling. I will say that a lot of those kids seemed to be using better technique than the adults from other clips.

#11 was funny and confusing. Mediocre boxing, snipits of what looked like some sort of grappling, and some prowrestling thrown it.

Honest the stuff I found most impressive was the kata clips 5,6,12. The old guy in 5 moves pretty well, well at least his hands. I would have liked to see him at least take a step or to. 6 and 12 I can appreciate because they take a lot of althetic skill and coodination and it something that I can't do. While I don't think those forms had anything to do with fighting, I thought both were pretty good examples of performance martial arts. Not too much screaming, some flashing moves, but limited gymanstics and the like.

One thing that stood out in all the videos is how rabid the "fan/students" were. My school just had a school championship tournament and there was some loud cheering, but people weren't jumping out of there seats and falling down like it was some sort of church revival.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 2:04pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video #1 is the worst crap I have ever seen! And it's labeled "Head Instructors Tournament" !!!

Marasmos

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boxing is terrible. They have no concept of posture, body mechanics, or power generation. Both of these head instructors would be promptly knocked the **** out by 95% of active amateur boxers in their weight class (and I'm being generous here).
    You say what about my rice?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast