Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    2,209
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    BJJ Instructor Disavows Pupil's Rank

    http://wbbjj.com/jiu-jitsu-instructo...nts-blue-belt/

    Synopsis: BJJ Instructor strips former student of blue belt for "unethical dealings with another individual".

    I would like to hear what everyone else thinks of this. I'm a little torn. I wish more details were available on what happened to make the instructor feel the need to do this and what measures were taken leading up to the rank stripping (eg. wad there some sort of sit down to discuss the events and possible ways to make amends). While I understand not wanting shitbirds training in your gym, I also feel like having someone train under you long enough to earn a blue belt should give you ample time to feel out their attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    587
    Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it's all very relative. On one hand, since we don't actually know what happened, all we have is Owen's assertion that it was reprehensible enough to warrant stripping the guy of his rank. That doesn't really jive with me, since I've always felt that martial arts rank should signify (and come as a result of) skill in the martial arts, not the individual's personal honor or integrity or whatever.

    On the other hand, a blue belt (or any rank for that matter) isn't a set-in-stone unit either; it too comes as a result of the instructor's judgement, and if he doesn't feel that the student in question represents what his rank entails, I suppose it's his prerogative to strip him of it. Then we could start dissecting what credentials Owen judges his students on and whether that's legitimate or not, but there you go. I'd wanna know exactly what went down before I make my mind up on whether I feel it was prudent or not.

  3. #3
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    2,209
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    On the other hand, a blue belt (or any rank for that matter) isn't a set-in-stone unit either; it too comes as a result of the instructor's judgement, and if he doesn't feel that the student in question represents what his rank entails, I suppose it's his prerogative to strip him of it. Then we could start dissecting what credentials Owen judges his students on and whether that's legitimate or not, but there you go. I'd wanna know exactly what went down before I make my mind up on whether I feel it was prudent or not.
    This basically sums me up. However, I still lean more towards rank in a martial art representing a certain aptitude in that art than any degree of morality.

    I'd really like to hear from instructors about this too. Except in the rare case of the exceptionally gifted--or McDojos--hanging around someone long enough to earn a blue belt from them seems like it should also be enough time to give a fair character assessment. Maybe I'm overreacting, but maybe this was just a duchess move by the instructor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

  4. #4
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    11
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rumor in the BJJ community is that the blue belt was a student of Ari Bolden (of submissions 101 fame) and they went to train at another academy. Ari cried to Keith and Keith put out this statement.

    You can't take away rank, you can kick someone out of your school or association, but the rank is yours regardless. Now I have given up rank in order to join an academy because I valued the training over the rank. But that was my choice, no one took it from me.

  5. #5
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,781
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    8
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a Blue Belt who gives a ****
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  6. #6
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    1,118
    Style
    MMA and Luta Livre noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I guess he still hasn't started his "No Women"-club yet.

  8. #8
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,781
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me get this straight, she awarded a blue belt then went to a new club asked them for a skill review and they are like hey your more like a white w/ 2 stripes.
    She is like ok I am cool with that I will train as a white w/ 2 stripes at your club.
    The guy who gave her a blue is like hey that blue belt your not even wearing I am taking that away from you.
    So basically he is taking away something she has already given up?
    Then on top of that he wants to add to some internet drama by making a big deal out of it when she had already moved on?
    Awesome!
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    462
    Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Let me get this straight, she awarded a blue belt then went to a new club asked them for a skill review and they are like hey your more like a white w/ 2 stripes.
    She is like ok I am cool with that I will train as a white w/ 2 stripes at your club.
    The guy who gave her a blue is like hey that blue belt your not even wearing I am taking that away from you.
    So basically he is taking away something she has already given up?
    Then on top of that he wants to add to some internet drama by making a big deal out of it when she had already moved on?
    Awesome!
    Yeah, when you put it like that it's become much bigger than necessary!

    I hope the student in question is happily carrying on with her training and learning what she wants to learn under her new instructor and hasn't been too affected by what is going on around her.

  10. #10
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    11,287
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Rumor in the BJJ community is that the blue belt was a student of Ari Bolden (of submissions 101 fame) and they went to train at another academy. Ari cried to Keith and Keith put out this statement.

    You can't take away rank, you can kick someone out of your school or association, but the rank is yours regardless. Now I have given up rank in order to join an academy because I valued the training over the rank. But that was my choice, no one took it from me.
    This.

    I don't know about this specific instance. I don't care enough to read up on it. But you don't take away fucking rank. That's bullshit. Kick them out of your school and let them walk away with the rank they earned.

    Taking away rank is some pissy little vindictive bullshit. It's a fucking bitch move.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in