Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Weight Training
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA Organisation M-1 Global Adds Armoured Knight Fighting

MMA Organisation M-1 Global Adds Armoured Knight Fighting

M-1 Global, based in St. Petersburg, Russia, is a very active mixed martial arts organization. One Fedor Emelianenko is also part owner. Organization president Vadim Finkelchtein and Artemiy Gershvald present their new project “M-1 Medieval” – professional fights between armored knights.

M-1 has featured four armoured blunted sword fights so far. The very first fight was held at “M-1 Challenge 50: Battle on Neva” between 5 times Champion of the World and 10-times Champion of Russia – Sergei Ukolov and American Michael Ivey.

Fights will be help in a six-sided ring-cage.

Makhloev vs Stadnichenko M1 Medieval

No way I'd ref that without a helmet!

How would you do in it?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have absolutely no problem with this. If we are lucky, the UFC will add stick fighting in a bid to compete.

Style
    Standup, Ground-fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could anyone explain how in God's name the rules would work?

This kind of thing totally makes sense to me in a Dog Brothers kind of context, where people fight a certain way because there aren't any points or a purse to lose, but a dull sword in (what looks like) a professional bout for money is confusing to me.

The armor doesn't look to be standardized in any way, so is there any reason for me not to make a suit of reasonably-well-padded armor otherwise optimized for grappling, drop my sword and shield as soon as the fight starts, and just dive for leg locks or something? How do you encourage people to pretend that the sword and shield matter?

Style
    Standup, Ground-fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This kind of thing totally makes sense to me in a Dog Brothers kind of context, where people fight a certain way because there aren't any points or a purse to lose, but a dull sword in (what looks like) a professional bout for money is confusing to me.

The armor doesn't look to be standardized in any way, so is there any reason for me not to make a suit of reasonably-well-padded armor otherwise optimized for grappling, drop my sword and shield as soon as the fight starts, and just dive for leg locks or something? How do you encourage people to pretend that the sword and shield matter?

Style
    Youn Wha Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks so cool, would totally be down do it if I had a suit of armor and more time. If UFC added something like this or stick fighting I'd certainly watch.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post

Something like this I guess? http://battleofthenations.org/hmbia-...nt-categories/

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw people kind of flailing at each other with swords and other weapons. Cool armor though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Standup, Ground-fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Stuff like this makes it seem not worthwhile as a sport with points:

"the 1st round – “Longsword”. It lasts for 1.5min. The winner is the one who has delivered more stout blows to the opponent during the round."

What is a "stout blow" with a bladed weapon against an armored opponent? Shouldn't it be "a stout blow is worth zero points, unless you piece the opponents armor or actually disable him"?

Although the M1 rules seem less silly, because the ones you linked include:

"Prohibited fighting techniques...holds of the opponent’s body, head and limbs, ..."

While M1's had grappling.

I'm also wondering about:

"2.1 Only arms and armor which are proven by historical research to be from specific historical period, are allowed in HMB."

If I develop some armor optimized to make this ruleset silly, and then wait a year before entering, are they going to give me bullshit about "last year" not being a specific historical period?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prefer knuckle fight then an armored fight which is nothing!!!

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dalla23.ap View Post
    Prefer knuckle fight then an armored fight which is nothing!!!
    Really? You've run around in multiple kilograms of armour while being punched, kicked, pushed, thrown and bludgeoned with bits of steel then?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last