Page 6 of 884 First ... 23456789101656106506 ... Last
    Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today:

Went to my Shihan's work, cleaned his office for an hour. Got paid to, though I'd do it for free, since he teaches me for free, and is just an awesome man who has helped me out in life so much that I could never repay him anyway. Plus, it's full of weird and cool stuff, and sometimes he'll tell me stories about Kyokushin in the 1970s, which was insane.

Picked up an order of twice cooked pork with leeks from a local Sichuan place that I love, and some cold mung bean jelly with fermented chili paste for later in the day. Tucked a napkin in my shirt, and ate it barbarian style with my hands as I drove to my second job of the day.

My second job is cleaning a hoarder house. I am SO so proud of this couple, because the place was really bad, one of the worst cases I've worked with, and probably would have been condemned if a health inspector walked in. But they are not only agreeing to get rid of a TON of stuff, they are even cleaning and getting rid of stuff in between my weekly visits! This is really huge. And not common with hoarders, especially not so soon. Really warm, wonderful people, too.

Usually I only work 2 -3 hours a week there. I have to take norco to do it because of the back and knee pain, but today we did a big push and I worked 5 hours in the bedroom.

Previously, we pulled about eh, 15 trash bags full of clothes out of there, all off the floor.

Today we pulled 26 trash bags full of clothes out of there, also mostly off the floor.

I found evidence of rodents, and there were a ton of cat feces in the lower layers too.

I still like it better than the living room, where the hardwood floors are stained black and were spongy with cat urine and brown crust under all the layers of paper. The day I was having to kneel in a puddle of brown cat pee sludge and sliced my finger open pretty deep on some broken glass was the worst, but my crazyass overactive immune system went to town and I somehow did not get an infection, and managed to remain calm. Heh.

It's backbreaking work, it's really hard to breathe and I almost throw up a lot, but I am damned proud of what I do. I am helping people get their lives back, get their homes back, and escape the traps they are in. Most I refer to psychiatrists when they are willing to hear me out about it, but this couple I think is actually going to be ok. I am very optimistic about them.

And I really wish people would be more compassionate about hoarding disorder, too. It's hell to live with, it can kill people, and it's a very serious compulsive disorder rife with anxiety, depression, and shame. It's often hereditary and usually triggered by intense trauma or grief.

Anyway, I was the first person this couple had allowed to even look inside their house for many years, and that was a huge honor and a massive show of trust. The wife, whom I work with on this, was having panic attacks and it was so hard for her. I cannot tell you how proud I am of her. And now they have their living room back, their kitchen, and their bedroom. They actually had company over to play cards against humanity- my fiancee and I. And they let their parents come inside for the first time in so many years. I've been watching them perk up and open up and it's just a beautiful thing to see.

Ate my mung bean jelly.

After that, I went to Cross Dress for Less (aks Ross) to shop for a new pot for the dojo plant.

Previously, I had potted it and arranged it in a giant shell-shaped pot that I spent a long time hand painting. I put a lot of love into that thing, and nurtured the **** out of that plant. Apparently at open sparring (basically a monthly throwdown) somebody forgot to remove the plant from the half wall and it got smashed. I'm pretty heartbroken about that, but what can you do? I hope the plant isn't all jacked up. I guess it's in a bucket with some water right now. It was doing so well. Damn it!

Oh, if any of you Bay Area guys wanna come to a local throwdown, we have one usually on the last Sunday of the month. Some of our guys have gone to the throwdowns that used to be in Berkeley, and I think we hosted one too, or tried to. Not sure. It was a little before my time. But Jluo still lurks here from time to time, and that's his event, so you can ask him about it.

Anyway, bought a temp pot that will do for now, but it isn't what I'm ultimately looking for. I might actually sign up for a ceramics class and fire one in a kiln, but if I do, they better remember to take it into the office when big groups of people spar, damn it!

After that, I went to the gym, did a bunch of lifting (pull downs of various kinds) to help stretch my back a bit. Shihan taught them to me, and often my back pain goes away for half a day or so. This time, my back was too fucked up, and the sciatica is down to my knee, but it still helped.

Tomorrow is early morning Sado training, and I will probably be in a fuckload of pain then. But I do what I have to do. I needed the money and the couple needed their bedroom cleared out because they were falling and hurting themselves pretty badly in there trying to climb over mountains of clothes.

Damned proud of today. Two years ago and I would never have had the emotional fortitude to endure the pain or accomplish all of that.

Will probably gain 5 pounds, lol.

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a whacky last couple of days. This Sunday, I woke up at 6PM, had a bite to eat, went down to the bar on a whim, and found myself in conversation with this cute Polish girl (and by girl, I mean it turned out she was 29, AKA 11 years my senior). We talked about everything and nothing, played a few spots of tongue grappling, 'til the bar closed down at 1 in the morning and we went our separate ways. Came home about an hour later, already nursing a mean hangover, and went back to sleep. Slept for about 16 hours, as it turns out. Hangover mostly gone at this point, fortunately. Spent the phantasmagoric time between then and now lurking the interwebz, and I actually got around to trying out that DDP Yoga I've heard so many people raving about. I've only done yoga a handful times in my life, but I still felt like I got a lot out of it, everything was very basic, and there was a clearly laid-out plan of progression over several weeks in place. Pretty cool stuff, in my opinion.

If that was a confusing and disjointed reading experience, let me assure you, the same could be said of the lived experience. The game plan for today is to take it easy and stay awake long enough to turn my discombobulated sleeping schedule back around. Pretty tricky stuff, compared to you slouches with your children and your arduous work environments and whatnot. Guess I'm a bit of an overachiever.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday:
    1. Work
    2. Was the only one who showed up for Yaw-yan, so I did some bagwork for like 15 mins then just went back to drilling stick stuff.
    3. Doce Pares

Starting to feel like I might be ready for grading on Friday, maybe.

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today I got up at what was, for me, the asscrack of dawn for Sado training. The tea sensei had to go to SoCal so we had our class bright and early.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tearoomsmall.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	16659

The little tiny ram on the table on the right side is a bell. Sensei said "well I watched the Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary show the other night, and they had the "needs more cowbell" sketch. It's the year of the ram, though, so I decided that our tea ceremony needs more rambell."

We had lovely sweets and excellent matcha. This really helped us wake up.

I went out for breakfast with my fellow student (there are only two of us) and we found a great taqueria. They had the good stuff- tripe and tongue and, I thought, beef brain. They don't carry that any more though. I guess it wasn't popular enough. I had a tongue and carnitas (a yummy pork preparation) quesadilla.

once we finished eating, I drove through the hills to go to physical therapy. I got the massage therapist who is from Thailand, so I learned a lot about the recent regime change, which she is very happy about. She says the old government was extremely corrupt, driving rice farmers to suicide, letting human trafficking slide, **** like that. Now the military has taken over, but it is lead by an apparently kind man, according to her, and she has faith that there will be elections soon. One thing I can say about Thailand- it's really progressive on some fronts. The medical care there is amazing, and it's really accepting of transgendered folks as well.

Got a good long massage and a heating pad, and some LED infrared whatever.

Went home, watered my badass planter. Did a bit of birdwatching.

I am a part of an amateur photography group that does weekly photography challenges, which are just fun themed photo assignments, so I have been taking my camera around with me.

Name:	bird1small.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	16660

Name:	bird2small.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	16661

passed out because I hadn't slept more than a few hours the night before.

Dragged my ass out of bed, and drove through the hills for the third time that day to go to the dojo.

Stopped at a place called "homespice" which is a Chinese restaurant. Seeing some little items on the menu that were not typical Americanized Chinese Food, I asked if the chef was a Sichuan chef, and it turns out he was! I got "won tons in red oil." It was about 6 smallish wontons stuffed with a good amount of meat of some sort, floating in a chili oil broth. Very good, and I saved the broth for cooking at home. Probably about half a cup of food, maybe less. A good sized meal for me.

Went to the dojo. Found the dojo plant in a bucket. See, this is what it was in before. I painted that pot, put a lot of love and care into it. This is from the night I first planted it. The little "lucky bamboo" plants in there aren't real bamboo at all, but they are neat and ubiquitous in the Bay Area, which actually has more Asians than any other continent-based ethnic group.

Name:	oldplant.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	16662

Well, somebody smashed that pot. :( So the new temp pot is this:

Name:	pot2small.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	16663

Name:	pot1small.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	16664

I mean, it's okay, but it isn't what I ultimately want. We'll see. I just need to find something or make something that really fits.

Still glad the plant lived though. It has gotten huge and healthy!

Name:	dojo1small.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	16665

Broke some bricks in class. Failed a skull break (usually I do them no problem) and got a little goose egg on my forehead, and a lot of mocking. Practiced some kata. Sparred a Japanese guy from IKO2 who is training with us now. He's always fun to fight. He was nice and didn't destroy my ass, heh.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woke up feeling like I did that time I had to get my appendix out. Went to the hospital, waited for a bit to get admitted. Waited a bit more for some blood tests to be done, and then a bit more for someone to actually look at the results. After some more waiting and a series of ultrasounds I was informed that I have a case of severe viral gastroenteritis. I got some Tylenol and went home for a nap. I woke up, ate some gummi bears and rice crackers. Now I'm watching the Parks and Rec Finale in hopes of somehow preparing myself to do another Shadowboxer chapter.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Five movements so far. Three before work, two after, and one in the chamber. All firm and reddish.

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Five movements so far. Three before work, two after, and one in the chamber. All firm and reddish.
    That's a lot. Are you eating a lot of fiber or something?

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work and forms, work and forms. My life is nothing but work and forms. Also sinawali.

Send help.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Six movements in total yesterday. I had one at the gym.

Currently waiting for my morning two.

Style
    Shoo Sheetzoo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Six movements in total yesterday. I had one at the gym.

Currently waiting for my morning two.
    I'm beginning to see the meaning behind your location name.

Page 6 of 884 First ... 23456789101656106506 ... Last