Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/11/2004 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hernia Surgery Recovery Report

I had a inguinal hernia on my right side repaired on April 30th. I lived and trained with the hernia for about 8 months before deciding to go ahead and finally get the repair done.

Two days before I had my surgery I had a pre-op physical with a doctor other than mu surgeon. This doctor saw I was wearing a martial arts related T-shirt and mention he was also a martial artist. We were able to talk about my surgery and recovery specifically as it pertained to my martial arts.

He stated that for two days after the surgery I should be stay in bed with my feet elevated, icing the area on a regualr basis. He said 2-3 days after the surgery I could start walking around but to limit any physical activity for about a week to 10 days.

So far my recovery has followed exactly what he said. I was up walking around the house 2 days after the surgery and stopped taking pain meds after about 5. On the 7th day I felt well enough that if I needed to drive somewhere I feel I could have. Yesterday, 10 days after the surgery, I drove over an hour to the doctor and today I went to the grocery store by myself.

According to my doctor I shouldbe able to start limited training such as some light bag work, forms, and light excerise by the end of this week and return to class around the end of the month. I was cautioned not to lift anything more than 25 lbs until 6 weeks after the surgery and refrain from kicking until around that time. I am projected to make a full recovery and have no restrictions 8 weeks after surgery.

Dirty Red

Posted On:
    5/11/2004 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be waiting. :D
    Last edited by xero; 5/11/2004 5:20pm at .

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/11/2004 6:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's on Pun.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Dirty Red

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8 weeks until the beatdown. I am totally stoked.
    A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 2:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just remember, anyone that hurts me is going to have to deal with my girlfriend. And trust me, no one wants some of that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2004 2:14pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey - good for you! I just had right inguinal hernia surgery last week (May 5th) using the PHS method. I started walking around pretty much the same day, but I did not ice as much as you did and I wish I had. For the first 4 or 5 days, my nads swelled up to the size and color of dark blue grapefruits.

I fell way better now and am getting ready to do some light exercise this weekend. My doc basically said I could start exercising as soon as I feel ok to do so.

Glad you're doing well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2004 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question.

I've had trainees say that same about not "lifting 25 pounds". What's meant by that exactly? Bending and reaching for something on the ground?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/13/2004 11:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question.

I've had trainees say that same about not "lifting 25 pounds". What's meant by that exactly? Bending and reaching for something on the ground?
    I would assume so. I never really thought about it. Even something like grabbing a gallon of milk out of the fridge, tells me there is still something wrong with my body. Even if I don't bend I can feel the stress of holding anything over a few pound even close to my center of gravity.

The stupidest thing I did so far was try to put a case of water into my cart by myself at the grocery store. I got it in there, but it really hurt and took a lot out of me. It was embarassing when I had to ask the 16 year old girl who bagged my groceries for help loading the stuff in my car.

The most embarassing thing that happened to me so far was when I went to the drug store with my girlfriend. When we walked out some old lady asked me for help lifting some heavy stuff into her car. As I was trying to explain to her why I couldn't help, my 100 lb girlfriend dropped her purse and hoisted the stuff into the lady's backseat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 11:13am

Style: Wado

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The weight restriction refers to carrying to avoid putting a strain on the area. I had lower back surgery 2 months ago, and the restriction is 10 lbs, no training, no running for 12 weeks. :(

The operation was 4 hours. 3 hours after waking up, they had me walk to the bathroom and I was home for dinner.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 11:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really wanna take care of that hernia, one word:
    SANCHIN !!!!