Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Judo, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai Chi real tough fights

Hey, what's up

I was watching videos on youtube when I came across these tai chi (or so it says) fights. I didn't know tai chi could be so tough. What do you people think of this tai chi. I've done some more research after watching these videos and I've found out that Chen Xiaowang (Chen style lineage holder) sends people to fight in kickboxing and thai boxing. That is certainly unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysegS3Wgho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdHoCspkphI

Style
    Zheng Manqing/Chen TJQ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoWingChunner View Post
    Hey, what's up

I was watching videos on youtube when I came across these tai chi (or so it says) fights. I didn't know tai chi could be so tough. What do you people think of this tai chi. I've done some more research after watching these videos and I've found out that Chen Xiaowang (Chen style lineage holder) sends people to fight in kickboxing and thai boxing. That is certainly unexpected.

You may also be interested in Zhaobao style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XudQ...qQqpHbL6zzxXPl

Also, one of the more recent (Republican Era I believe) Taiji fusion styles, Cheng style, is a blend of Hao (武式) Taijiquan and Judo. It's either Hao, or Yang...
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoWingChunner View Post
    Hey, what's up

Wow, we've never heard about Chen Xiaowang or watched and discussed (and been very impressed by) his "Tai Chi". Thanks for letting us know !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked fixed to me.

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gives new meaning to the term "heel".

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn View Post
    Looked fixed to me.
    They're not fixed in the sense you mean. They are more like compliant demos being performed by real taiji guys against cannon fodder. This stuff is more like pro wrestling...the "winner" is showing real skill, but it's all for the crowd/camera. For the real fighting go watch the thai boxing and sanda that Chen sends his fighters to.

I half expected Mr Fuji or Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart to be cheering in the wings for the Chen family.

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here he is without the camera/crowd.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Gives new meaning to the term "heel".

That man is a true badass...the Chinese Judo NGB should hire him.

There was another "fight" of his posted in the same venue, which it looked to me like he was up against a guy who was pretty skilled. You could see Chen bearing down more and more. It involved more striking between the two of them. The other guy was either not happy about having to "lose" or it was a lot closer to a real match.

Or they were both skilled enough to make it look more "real".

In any case, Chen's posture and whole attitude/focus is amazing, work or no work.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Tai Chi,MMA,knife-dueling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As per the original question, Chinese Internal Martial Arts do not get a pass on the "sparring is a best practice in any martial art school" rule. This is typical of the tai chi sparring I have seen in tai chi schools that were serious about the martial arts side of tai chi:

When tai chi is taught by the same instructor as other martial arts, that sparring might be divided into San Shou & stationary push hands drills, but none the less if it serious tai chi it is going past stationary push hands into sparring with real self-defense moves. All serious Tai Chi masters have always taught Tai Chi this way.

Unfortunately most tai chi instructors I have ran into were teaching tai chi inspired line dancing "for health," not martial arts or anything that should be called actual tai chi (just as an aerobic kickboxing class should not be called a "self defense" class, least bit a "muay thai" class.)
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 1/29/2015 1:19pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Here he is without the camera/crowd.

Lots and lots to observe from that video. My favorite though is towards the end where he throws the guy backwards and moves in for the stomp kick to finish.

He's being very restrained due to the small space involved as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last