Page 3 of 24 First 123456713 ... Last

Thread: Paper Tigers

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post

I'm sure this makes a lot of sense in his head.
    Ad Hominem much? I've been practicing almost as long as he has and my original system did cover all these aspects.......... by practicing with other Judo, Wrestlers, Kickboxers, Boxers and Kempo guys. Seriously this guy is embarrassing.

I'm going to post on his video.

Style
    Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm sure this makes a lot of sense in his head.
    of everything he said, the two things that made me laugh the most were him talking about 'karate jutsu' being watered down to karatedo (where the **** did you even get that from dude?) and the claim that mma guys train compliant grappling

Sent from my GT-I9100

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the claim that mma guys train compliant grappling
    I didn't even get that far.

Style
    Krotty/Crapple/Goonery
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    of everything he said, the two things that made me laugh the most were him talking about 'karate jutsu' being watered down to karatedo (where the **** did you even get that from dude?) and the claim that mma guys train compliant grappling

Sent from my GT-I9100
    Followed by the claim that MMA jiu-jitsu (BJJ I'm assuming) is watered down because everyone has rank in it, and there are no unifying principals behind it.

One of us is living in Crazy Town, Opposite Land ... and I'm pretty sure it's not me.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wondering, should we *****-Bomb the dude on his Youtube channel? (As in, we all go over there and call him a *****)
    I already called him out on his actual fighting ability. He claims to have had "more fights than I can count". He didn't say with who or where or if they were sanctioned or recorded or anything else.

I have a feeling that he is going to end up another one of these bad-ass Westerners that took it to the streets of Hong Kong and China, beat those Asians up and earned teh mad respectz...but with zero corroboration for his stories.

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope he becomes another one of our villains.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the by...a question to those who know a lot more about kung fu than I do:

This guy's bio says he is a master of 'Sil-Lum Hung Gar/Tiger-Crane'...but isn't the Tiger-Crane just one form within Hung Gar? Does it exist as a separate style unto itself?

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    By the by...a question to those who know a lot more about kung fu than I do:

This guy's bio says he is a master of 'Sil-Lum Hung Gar/Tiger-Crane'...but isn't the Tiger-Crane just one form within Hung Gar? Does it exist as a separate style unto itself?
    Yes and Yes.

Tiger Crane Paired Fist was a pillar set of Wong Fei Hung's system, but also a much older system (technically, the name of a number of varying systems) from before he was born, and that system itself was a composite of older systems that were more individualized.

There are many tiger styles, several crane styles, then there are the styles that combine both which are often part of a Hung Ga lineage but not always, and finally there is Wong Fei Hung's "composite" version of the Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen (Tiger Crane Double Pattern/Paired Fist) as passed down by the common Lam and Tang family lineages, which is a blend of his own family's traditional Tiger Crane form (taught by his father), combined with elements of several other styles, including elements of the famous Southern Iron Thread/Wire "internal" strength building routines, and several other systems (essentially a distillation of a multitude of common practices into a more practical set).

Even though the Wong version is called "Tiger Crane" it is more comprehensive and contains more material than the older Tiger Crane sets. There is are "best of" family style techniques in this set...Fut ga, Hop ga pieces, Lama pai...It contains all five Southern Shaolin animals (dragon, snake, tiger, leopard, and crane), five elements of the wuxing, the so-called "Ten Killing Hands" essentially Fei Hung's high percentage techniques, qi gong exercises, a couple of Drunken techniques, and perhaps one of Fei Hung's most infamous techniques, the Mo Ying Gerk or "No Shadow Kick", the "secret" of which is not so secret once you know what it is in application (a front kick with a hand feint diversion).

Functionally you could describe the five animals/five elements as categorizations based on various characteristics... it touches on as many stand-up ranges as possible, short, medium and long range techniques, clinch work, conditioning and foot work, and of course the endurance training. Completing the Tiger Crane routine can take five minutes and is very difficult to do, hence the endurance aspects. It uses a lot of dynamic tension in coordination with relaxation and breathing. It's takes a good deal of dedication to be able to complete this form from start to finish without dropping, so I enjoy the challenge of that.
    Last edited by Ice Hole; 12/25/2014 6:54pm at .

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not spending the five dollars it costs to purchase the Kindle edition of the book, so I'm just wondering if anybody's already read it or is familiar with Allan D. Ondash? Some of his observations are accurate on a basic level (Steven Seagal sucks, Jet Li was just a Wushu champion and not a real fighter, etc), but I get the impression that much of the book just seems to be comprised of verbose, acerbic rants about why traditional Chinese training methods are the best.
    Ah yes. I have read this book, however not cover to cover...it's a big compendium of short (half, one page) essays, essentially, on a hundred+ different subjects. It's one of my favorite readings while on the john because I can read a few different topics in a single shitting, but not because I agree with the guy, in fact he goes from appealing to the traditionalist in me and then insulting the "modernist" in me (his terminology)...and more often than not, insulting my common sense along the way.

IIF would have a field day dissecting this guys fallacies because there is one every other sentence.

He's kind of all over the place. He prefaces the book with a big warning that he's just going to speak his mind and **** you if you don't like it, tough guy...fine, it's his book.

There is sport vs street, new vs old, MMA vs "old school" and a lot, and I mean a LOT of smack talk.

Personally I am a Hung ga disciple (for life) who prefers to hone his personal style by cross-training especially with "Sportists" as he calls them, and so I have to say I was disappointed the more I read. Much of his prose will alienate reasonable martial artists, imho. Just when I found myself agreeing with him on some physical factor (eg the importance of footwork, whole body power, the importance of san da) he'd immediately go and lose me by railing against "modernists", "Sportists", etc. Lots of "ists" in this book.

I would be happy to begin quoting passages for your amusement, HM. There are thousands in here, but the book has been collecting dust in my reading basket because of the hundred copies of Entertainment Weekly in front of it, which I read instead of watching television or going to the movies, because I never take a fucking day off work.

Get ready for street like you've never been streeted before.
    Last edited by Ice Hole; 12/25/2014 6:49pm at .

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My body is ready. I thought Hung Ga was generally devoid of this bullshit, but I guess there are crazies everywhere.

Page 3 of 24 First 123456713 ... Last