Page 23 of 24 First ... 13192021222324 Last

Thread: Paper Tigers

  1. #221
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,637
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    He is a ***** who has never been in a fight, full-contact combat sport competition, sparring of any sort as we here would understand it (randori in Judo), so he attacks what he does not know (and fears).

    That's my not-a-mental-health-professional opinion.
    I'm about halfway through "NON-BELIEVERS", which begins with Allan claiming that whenever he attends parties or events with friends, he has to tell them not to let anyone know he's a martial artist.

    The reason he gives is he either always gets into a real fight, or close, because a "delirious dirtbag...decided to challenge the idea of martial arts".

    If you can't talk about martial arts without worrying about having to kick an ass, maybe they are not the problem...anyway, I'll get this one done tonight or tomorrow. It's one of those where every other paragraph actually makes some sense, but those get neutralized by statements like this:

    "Believe half of what you see, and all of what you see through"
    After this essay is "ALKATA", an essay about the 9/11 hijackers and learning martial arts from books.

  2. #222
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I'm about halfway through "NON-BELIEVERS", which begins with Allan claiming that whenever he attends parties or events with friends, he has to tell them not to let anyone know he's a martial artist.

    The reason he gives is he either always gets into a real fight, or close, because a "delirious dirtbag...decided to challenge the idea of martial arts".

    If you can't talk about martial arts without worrying about having to kick an ass, maybe they are not the problem...anyway, I'll get this one done tonight or tomorrow. It's one of those where every other paragraph actually makes some sense, but those get neutralized by statements like this:
    In all the years I've been doing Judo, I've never gotten into a "real fight" with anybody. That would be 37 years now. The reaction to me doing Judo (most people in the USA don't even really have a vague idea of what Judo entails) is usually the old "I better not piss you off" sort of comment, which I find amusing, because I very, very rarely get truly pissed off, and I don't express that physically towards other people anyway.

    I'd say the more common scenario is that I've been in a bar, at a party, (not recently, I don't do bars anymore, at least not ones that I have to worry about physical altercation in), and I never went to many parties even when I was in college/grad school. Crap, I lived in New Orleans as a young man for 15 years and NEVER got in a "bar fight", and I went to a LOT of bars, music clubs, etc., back then.

    That was a **** sentence, somebody call Pship!

    More common scenario is some douche starts talking about martial arts, how good he is, how good his friend is (it's usually karate or kung fu, go figure), is spewing BS, and I just sit their and don't say anything, because, you know, that is how fights can get started, especially if alcohol is involved. I can recall a couple of times that a person I was with chimed in "Well, Ben is a black belt in Judo", but I managed to avoid conflict by stating Judo was just a sport like high school wrestling, not real fighting like (fill in blank) martial art.

    However, with Ondash obviously prickly personality, personal delusion, overcompensation personality disorder (I made that up, LOL), and fallacy-laden debate style, I could see him getting pissy fast, with according results. And according to you that's basically what happens with him.

    He starts to make sense at times, I agree, but goes overboard trying to make the wrong point in the wrong way.

    Mentally ill folks don't always not make sense...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #223
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,637
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Crap, I lived in New Orleans as a young man for 15 years and NEVER got in a "bar fight", and I went to a LOT of bars, music clubs, etc., back then.
    You must have stayed on the right streets, like a smart person visiting New Orleans should and a native would already know was a good idea. Although I hear since Katrina, some of the worst neighborhoods of the French Quarter are now "safe".

    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    More common scenario is some douche starts talking about martial arts, how good he is
    Or same douche writes a whole book of anecdotes on how good they are...I'm reading one right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    However, with Ondash obviously prickly personality, personal delusion, overcompensation personality disorder (I made that up, LOL), and fallacy-laden debate style, I could see him getting pissy fast, with according results. And according to you that's basically what happens with him.

    He starts to make sense at times, I agree, but goes overboard trying to make the wrong point in the wrong way.

    Mentally ill folks don't always not make sense...
    I don't know if it's mental illness, but it's definitely the kind of braggadocio you're talking about.

    Outside of BS, I rarely bring up my martial arts training unless it's a really cool story like a tournament or meeting someone famous. For instance, when I meet BJJ people and we talk training, I might tell them I got mat time with Mundial pro, they think that's cool. Or, people talk about Kung Fu as classy or peaceful and MMA as being barbaric, so I show them the time I got my well-earned, proper kung fu beat down in Maryland, and they go apeshit at the thought someone would WANT to enter such an arena voluntarily.

    Acting as if you need to keep your martial arts a hidden secret cuz otherwise you might have to bring out the guns...he sounds like the same dirtbag he's describing. In fact the whole book could be considered a big trolling attempt against anyone who does or enjoys watching MMA, UFC, wrestling, etc. He practically admits that in the introduction, and then peppers the entire book with ad hominem.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/18/2017 4:48pm at .

  4. #224
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,352
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try not to talk too much about martial arts when I'm at bars or parties cause I don't want to sound like a dork, not because I'm afraid of challenges.

  5. #225
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,486
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I try not to talk too much about martial arts when I'm at bars or parties cause I don't want to sound like a dork, not because I'm afraid of challenges.
    Nobody gives a **** about the new pass or sweep or combo or weapon retention concept you had a sudden realization about earlier while kissing your girlfriend. Nobody.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  6. #226
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,637
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I try not to talk too much about martial arts when I'm at bars or parties cause I don't want to sound like a dork, not because I'm afraid of challenges.
    It depends on the audience.

    You're fine with sounding like a dork right now.

  7. #227
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,637
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pg. 219, "NON-BELIEVERS".

    Allan is sad in this essay, because he has to keep his martial arts secret or else he's forced to unleash a beat down on would be martial haters.

    He then goes on to associate the "non-believer" as someone he meets at a party, and who believes in the "ol' one-two", which Ondash identifies as basic boxing, which he has "no gripe with" since he dideth studieth it, according to him (p. 219).

    The "idiots" weren't talking about boxing but "their own version of it". Ouch. That's when Allan "needed to explain to them that every power concept along with every punch, slip and ppary I learned in traditional boxing had previously been ingrained in me through martial arts."

    I'll summarize the next three excruciating paragraphs with this: Allan blames the media, in particular a "martial atheism", that is "media-based".

    motor-mouths who boast about their skills, yes even professed traditionalists, never really know martial arts to begin with and so deserve to become fodder for non-believers after having the chatter slapped out of their chew holes".
    The essay leaves you with some sort of Chinese Triad threat. Each time I read it, it gets creepier.
    If...a non-believer is still not convinced that traditional martial arts hold any real fighting value, then let him or her open up a mock martial arts school on Main Street in Anytown, USA, call it the 'Triad' training institute, and in addition exploit the sacred symbol of the Triads in all their media-based ads. Then see how long it takes for him or her to end up in an alley somewhere with all their bones broken and their head missing."
    (p. 221)

  8. #228

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    321
    Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Pg. 219, "NON-BELIEVERS".

    Allan is sad in this essay, because he has to keep his martial arts secret or else he's forced to unleash a beat down on would be martial haters.

    He then goes on to associate the "non-believer" as someone he meets at a party, and who believes in the "ol' one-two", which Ondash identifies as basic boxing, which he has "no gripe with" since he dideth studieth it, according to him (p. 219).

    The "idiots" weren't talking about boxing but "their own version of it". Ouch. That's when Allan "needed to explain to them that every power concept along with every punch, slip and ppary I learned in traditional boxing had previously been ingrained in me through martial arts."

    I'll summarize the next three excruciating paragraphs with this: Allan blames the media, in particular a "martial atheism", that is "media-based".



    The essay leaves you with some sort of Chinese Triad threat. Each time I read it, it gets creepier.


    (p. 221)
    Geez, I hate to wake up with my head missing. Very inconvenient, derails my whole day.

  9. #229
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Pg. 219, "NON-BELIEVERS".

    Allan is sad in this essay, because he has to keep his martial arts secret or else he's forced to unleash a beat down on would be martial haters.

    He then goes on to associate the "non-believer" as someone he meets at a party, and who believes in the "ol' one-two", which Ondash identifies as basic boxing, which he has "no gripe with" since he dideth studieth it, according to him (p. 219).

    The "idiots" weren't talking about boxing but "their own version of it". Ouch. That's when Allan "needed to explain to them that every power concept along with every punch, slip and ppary I learned in traditional boxing had previously been ingrained in me through martial arts."

    I'll summarize the next three excruciating paragraphs with this: Allan blames the media, in particular a "martial atheism", that is "media-based".



    The essay leaves you with some sort of Chinese Triad threat. Each time I read it, it gets creepier.


    (p. 221)
    So, he seems to be running out of material and is getting desperate?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #230
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,637
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, he seems to be running out of material and is getting desperate?
    He definitely recycles material and re-uses the same tropes over and over...when I first tried (and failed) reading this book through, I couldn't do it. I got sick of reading over and over about how everything was the fault of "sportists".

    "AL-KATA", the next essay about a book on martial arts found in the apartment of one of the 9/11 hijackers, is an essay on how you can't learn martial arts from books (OK), but also a treatise on why no one should fear a "radical raghead" (ugh) who learned from a book.

    He essentially makes it sound like if Allan Ondash got his hands on a 9/11 hijacker, he'd work them over. I have a feeling Allan Ondash would end up headless, instead. Stay tuned, this essay is one of the shorter ones (1 page).

Page 23 of 24 First ... 13192021222324 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in