Page 22 of 24 First ... 1218192021222324 Last

Thread: Paper Tigers

  1. #211
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,655
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some choice quotes that I think speak for themselves.

    "when one switches gears to become the offender in a sparring match..must constantly pull back on...techniques and also their level of aggression so they don't clobber their partners."
    "the 'control' practiced during sparring will become 'out of control' when fighting."
    Then, Allan gets back to his favorite theme, bashing "sport martial-artists" with lines like this:
    "Not owning a technique before using it is another staple amongst sport-style martial arists who are unable to achieve crippling blows, and non-traditionally trained boxers who are unable to land knockout punches."
    According to Allan, it's because

    "hitting hard isn't the same thing as hitting with explosive force".
    He sums up this paragraph with yet another oddity, dismissing the padding used in MMA and boxing as the reason "sportists" are inferior to traditional martial artists:
    "true focus can nonetheless 'see' right through most forms of..padding. However, what plagues most sport stylists is that very few of them have true focus."
    He attempts to provide a technical justification using terms like "over-elongation of impact force", and how it all ties back to critical mistakes made by sportists, such as "free sparring" and "excessive bag training".

    Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion, where Ondash discusses effective fight strategy and hjow free sparring is its worst enemy.

  2. #212
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Some choice quotes that I think speak for themselves.





    Then, Allan gets back to his favorite theme, bashing "sport martial-artists" with lines like this:


    According to Allan, it's because



    He sums up this paragraph with yet another oddity, dismissing the padding used in MMA and boxing as the reason "sportists" are inferior to traditional martial artists:


    He attempts to provide a technical justification using terms like "over-elongation of impact force", and how it all ties back to critical mistakes made by sportists, such as "free sparring" and "excessive bag training".

    Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion, where Ondash discusses effective fight strategy and hjow free sparring is its worst enemy.
    I guess he does not realize that "sparring" is not the exclusive method of training for "sport-stylists".

    But wait, that was one of his many straw-men...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #213
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,655
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I guess he does not realize that "sparring" is not the exclusive method of training for "sport-stylists".

    But wait, that was one of his many straw-men...
    If IIF ever got a hold of this book...

    I'll try to finish the review before I crash tonight...long day.

  4. #214
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,655
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ibid, pg. 218.

    "That said" ...

    "it is better to do full-extension, long and short power solo and target practice drills along with other proper practices that do not stifle the ability to extend and then simply utilize those same forms of extension when arrives the time to use them in a real fight".


    In his "final attempt to hollow-out the idea of sparring", Ondash goes on about fight strategy. Sparring only works "after long experiences". OK.

    "Aside from the practionioner's own limitations imposed by his or her level of adeptness, this essentially means that he or she already knows how to fight efficiently before ever being in one."
    As with the typical skullfuck that is an Allan Ondash essay, he leaves us with this:

    "fighting strategies must be developed in the absence of sparring. If they are not, then one will suffer many technical and conceptual limitations and above that introduce a substantial amount of friendly and cooperative organization to an area that otherwise has no concern for friendship or cooperation."

  5. #215
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,361
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a paper tiger.

  6. #216
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,655
    Style
    Mixed
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What a paper tiger.
    The next essay on pg. 219 is titled "NON-BELIEVERS". I might as well just keep going linearly until somebody stops me.

  7. #217
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,641
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He should just change the title to Opposites Day and recategorize it as a comedy, it would be awesome.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  8. #218
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding sparring (I'm not sure he even knows what that means).

    Nobody is going to "learn" much by just "sparring".

    Progressive resistance drilling is a key component of combat sport training. That's a proven fact.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #219
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,655
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Regarding sparring (I'm not sure he even knows what that means).

    Nobody is going to "learn" much by just "sparring".

    Progressive resistance drilling is a key component of combat sport training. That's a proven fact.
    As an addendum to this story, Allan likes to punctuate most essays with a quotation, often something he made up himself or recycled from elsewhere (ala Bohdi Sanders). Quoting one's own musings as if they were Smithsonian-worthy must be reserved for the very special.

    This essay leaves us with an "anonymous" quote, which I'm guessing is just a way of not making every essay's quote an obvious Allan Ondash quote...some are meant to be less obvious Allan Ondash quotes.

    "The best sparring partner is yourself." - Anonymous
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/17/2017 6:05pm at .

  10. #220
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is a ***** who has never been in a fight, full-contact combat sport competition, sparring of any sort as we here would understand it (randori in Judo), so he attacks what he does not know (and fears).

    That's my not-a-mental-health-professional opinion.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 22 of 24 First ... 1218192021222324 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in