Page 14 of 24 First ... 4101112131415161718 ... Last

Thread: Paper Tigers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do people market themselves like this? I just don't get it. Most legit people just tell you what they teach and give you a competition or similar track record. Marketing like this screams BS to me even if they look like they could be legit.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    LOL beginner. Your memory is never clouded by a good ass beating. I've seen more people excuse a lock or KO, than a long punishing beating.
    Quoted for absolute truth...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I think he was extremely harsh. Making him tap was nice, playing with your prey is harsh.
    I think I gave my anecdote before about training with another black belt (Judo) for several months,mostly groundwork,in which I thought I was making progress against him (he was quite good, but I was no slouch..). The last time we trained together (he was moving to another state), we rolled for about 45 minutes, in which time he pinned and/or submitted me at least 20 times, if not more.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    One sees the same sort of instant, fanatical conversion stories in evangelical Christian literature, where the atheist is suddenly won over by a single statement from Johnny Pure-Heart.

(also, 75)
    Yes. That section has been alluded to twice, and both times I am left certain that no such encounter ever took place. It must take a lot of effort to keep those goalposts in motion though.

"Pfah! Those silly sportists waste all that time on conditioning... everybody knows a real fight is over almost instantly. "

"Pfah! Those sportists have no ability to string together 40 pre-rehearsed moves, they'll be screwed if they have to fight more than a couple seconds."
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I think he was extremely harsh. Making him tap was nice, playing with your prey is harsh.
    On one hand, yes, on the other the guy could've quit at anytime to lessen his beating. His ego kept him going though so he got what he was essentially asking for.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post

Yes

Yes it was.

How appropriate to use leg kicks then.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    How appropriate to use leg kicks then.
    Any chance of an explanation of this bit?

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Any chance of an explanation of this bit?
    You and your fucking laziness again?

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    # 388
    Ibid, pg. 388 "Drawing a Parallel".

A piece that begins humbly enough:

As a result of sitting here night after night discrediting everything the modern martial artist believes in, I've undoubtedly caused a lot of anger and made a lot of enemies.
    This is one of the more partisan essays, referencing next the "displeasure of working out with someone who had non-traditionalism on the brain".

The fundamental opinion in this essay is that "martial modernists" think the way they do because of their ego. Again it appears the author has encountered quite a few naysayers and in fact quotes several we're all familiar with here:

They'd often respond with, "You can't use stances in a real fight," or "You're never going to be able to use those fancy high kicks on the street," or "Traditional martial arts aren't versatile enough for real fighting," or "Traditional techniques might look good, and they may even have power, but it's hard to hit a real fighter with them," or "Traditional martial arts are a thing of the past," or my all time favorite, "Because mixed-martial arts is better."
    The author then goes on to defend stances, high kicks, etc.

During his defense of a range of traditional practices he views as superior to the "modernist" agenda, he claims:

it remains a fact that all core traditional systems contain every plausible phase of punching, kicking, trapping, and wrestling in their entirety. This also means that every possible movement and position has been thoroughly accounted for, examined, and worked out to suit the most pressing applications and situations.
    From there again there are defense made of various traditional practices, with many instances of partisan "traditionalist vs. modernist" comparisons, including at least one accusation of "pure ignorance".

The essay finishes with another self-quotation:
    " 'Like a concert pianist who is forced to watch a hopeless child bang away on a toy piano, that is how traditional martial artists view their successors' - Allan Ondash"
    Last edited by Ice Hole; 12/29/2014 3:52pm at .

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    You and your fucking laziness again?
    http://youtu.be/4kr24G8jQpM

Page 14 of 24 First ... 4101112131415161718 ... Last