Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... Last

Thread: Paper Tigers

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paper Tigers

Perusing the Sports section of Barnes and Noble the other day to see if they still actually keep Ashida Kim books in stock, I came across this little gem:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Paper-Tige.../dp/0615867162

The Paper Tigers is a no holds barred account of traditional versus modern martial arts. It peers into the deepest corners of martial adeptness in a gallant effort to expose the most fraudulent practitioners and counterfeit claims. In the midst of its dark disparagements, it often abruptly turns on the light by instructing the reader in a step-by-step manner on the oldest known and most secretively reserved martial concepts and techniques. For the enthusiast and budding practitioner, it is a dictionary that defines every aspect of true martial arts, from the types of body language, power, speed and explosiveness utilized in achieving its most coveted physical goals, to the styles of mindfulness, breath control and awareness employed in the heightening of its spiritual presence. For many long-time practitioners, whether those from traditional backgrounds or those involved in sport-like styles such as kickboxing, MMA or UFC, the Paper Tigers blatantly challenges their idealisms, often forcing them to weigh their current methodologies against the traditional methodologies given so that they may determine once and for all not only which brands hold the highest amounts of physical, mental and spiritual content, but most importantly, which are fitting enough to actually be deserving of the name "martial arts." All in all, the Paper Tigers tends to lift the veil on martial arts in order to expose the unsentimental truth behind its inner workings.
    The book promises a "No BS" look at martial arts, but I see a few problems with that notion. For starters, it's written by this guy:

And the material included in the book contains parts like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-24 at 5.42.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	16538

I'm not spending the five dollars it costs to purchase the Kindle edition of the book, so I'm just wondering if anybody's already read it or is familiar with Allan D. Ondash? Some of his observations are accurate on a basic level (Steven Seagal sucks, Jet Li was just a Wushu champion and not a real fighter, etc), but I get the impression that much of the book just seems to be comprised of verbose, acerbic rants about why traditional Chinese training methods are the best.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 12/24/2014 6:16pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, in the "Horse Stance" part of "Secrets revealed" he said keep facing towards the "enemy".

Any Bullies in that area to ask for an exclusive invitation to watch a class ?

Jeez....
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post

Perusing the Sports section of Barnes and Noble the other day to see if they still actually keep Ashida Kim books in stock, I came across this little gem:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Paper-Tige.../dp/0615867162

The book promises a "No BS" look at martial arts, but I see a few problems with that notion. For starters, it's written by this guy:

And the material included in the book contains parts like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-24 at 5.42.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	16538

I'm not spending the five dollars it costs to purchase the Kindle edition of the book, so I'm just wondering if anybody's already read it or is familiar with Allan D. Ondash? Some of his observations are accurate on a basic level (Steven Seagal sucks, Jet Li was just a Wushu champion and not a real fighter, etc), but I get the impression that much of the book just seems to be comprised of verbose, acerbic rants about why traditional Chinese training methods are the best.
    I'd say he seems a wee bit arrogant about his skill. How about the guy goes and gets in the ring with a 'seasoned' Muy Thai fighter and see how things go.

Oh, wait, I'm pretty sure he would be crippled by the "rules"...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah....

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Oh yeah....

My dad is the same age and looks even better with just moderate regular exercise and diet.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    My dad is the same age and looks even better with just moderate regular exercise and diet.
    Well, he's pretty confident, that makes up for any small flaws.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm sure this makes a lot of sense in his head.

Style
    Krotty/Crapple/Goonery
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people just need more ass kickings in their life. He is one of them.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The etch-a-sketch sounds that happen every 10sec make me want to go on a murder rampage. Also I already want to brutally beat this man.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He just talked **** about Judo. Also his grasp of history is a joke.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... Last