Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!

My conversations with Shaolin Monk Shi Guolin

I just started recently training with 34th Generation monk Shi Guolin in East North Port, NY. If know one knows him, just look him up. He was basically in charge of making sure all the other monks practiced when he was there.. He is a really nice guy and you can ask him pretty much anything and he will answer if he knows. Every class I ask him some question either about something I saw on the internet or just any question that comes to mind. I don't ask all my question every class because I ask him one or two than if I have more wait until next class.

Here are some questions I have recently asked:

I saw the shaolin monks performing a scorpion and toad form so I asked him if those are actually traditional forms?

His response was no, they are just form performance. He also stated that the monkey form they perform is not the traditional monkey form as the traditional monkey form does not have any acrobatic flips in it.

In regards to the youtube documentary "shaolin warrior". I asked him some questions on some of the training in it. The part were the monk drags the big roller with his testicles is real. The part were they are hitting the water with thier hands was only for show and they don't really do that. The monk doing the one finger hand stand was a real guy and shi guolin knew who he was right away. The part were the monk is hitting glass with his palm and doing all the strength training with the bulls is real. Shi Guolin said that monk is very strong.

I asked him about the monk on youtube sparring taekwondo guy. You probably can find it with that title. He said that monk did not really train in fighting and is more of a performance monk.

I asked him about the style Bak Fu Pai and if it was a legit style. I asked him this question because I saw many posts saying that it was a made up style.

He knew it right away and said it was a real style.

I asked him how did the shaoling monks fight in the old days. (referring to their guard stance) I asked him did they fight in these stances like horse, etc... like we all see in the movies and most people who do not train think kung fu guys fight like this.

He said no, they fought in a stance very similar to a boxer and how fighters fight today. He said the forms are only to teach power, balance, focus. You do not fight in those stances. He also mention that there is a lohan form that you are pretty much in a normal guard stance for many movement in the form.

If people on interested in this, I will post more every few days or so. If not I will ignore this thread.

Style
    KK TKD GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good post please keep it up

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, what is your level of martial arts experience? you haven't filled out your profile, or posted a newbietown thread, so we don't know anything about you, and therefore no one is going to pay much attention to your thread.

there have been threads about shi goulin on here before, did you search for them? i think many people would be interested in hearing his side of the story about the monk who committed suicide while under him at the temple in NY. there were a lot of allegations of mistreatment, and a statement from him would be interesting.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Mixed

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well this is awkward.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    OP, what is your level of martial arts experience? you haven't filled out your profile, or posted a newbietown thread, so we don't know anything about you, and therefore no one is going to pay much attention to your thread.

there have been threads about shi goulin on here before, did you search for them? i think many people would be interested in hearing his side of the story about the monk who committed suicide while under him at the temple in NY. there were a lot of allegations of mistreatment, and a statement from him would be interesting.
    I trained northern kung fu for 6 years were I acquired my black sash. All I will say is shi guolin does not teach wushu. He knows is fighting application and fighting theory very well. I asked him how many forms did u learn. He said he cant count but he also forgot many many forms because he said he do not using the fighting methods in those forms. I asked him do regret forgetting any of the forms. He said no which was pretty funny. I am not going to ask him about the suicide as I am a new student and i also could care less.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I trained northern kung fu for 6 years where I aquired my black sash. I am not going to ask about the suicide as I am a new student. I will say that shi guolin does not teach wushu. He knows his fighting application and theory very well. That why I am still there. I asked him how many forms does he know. He could not even give me a number but he told me he forgot a **** load of forms because he does not use the fighting methods in those sets. I asked him if he regrets forgetting those forms. He said no which was pretty funny. I like the way he thinks. I also don't just want to learn a bunch of forms.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I trained in Northern Kung fu for 6-7 years. Also did high school wrestling and a little muay thai (american syle muay thai)

I will not ask Shi Guolin about the suicide because I have only been there for a month. Maybe down the road. He does however let me take the qigong classes for free and only charges $100 per month so it does not seem to me that he is greedy. I was also going to set up a seminar for him so I asked him if I can make some money off of it for traveling to the schools to talk to him and he said that was fine.

I will say this: Shi guolin does not teach wushu. He is knows fighting application and theory very well. He can tell you every application in a form and it is very practical. Sometimes I am surprised because I think the application is totally different from what it really is. With that being said, I am concerned down the road that we will not drill the applications on a partner. He shows the application of everything but he does not make us drill it on each other. I am just hoping it is because everyone in the school is new. I will say something to him 6-12 months down the road if we do not. Right now he is really taking through the fundamentals every class and conditioning us.

I asked him how many forms he knows and he could not even count. He said to me that he forgot a **** load of forms too because he does not use/pratice the ighting application in them so therefore he did not remember them. I asked him i he regretted forgetting the forms and he said no which was pretty funny. I always like the idea of knowing a few forms but being able to know and utlize the application out of them. I don't want to learn 20 forms and know none of the application.

ps. I posted a response to this two other times but it did not show so if they show ignore or delete them if your a mod.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aabugho View Post
    I trained in Northern Kung fu for 6-7 years. Also did high school wrestling and a little muay thai (american syle muay thai)
    good! so you know what good, competition focused training is like

I will not ask Shi Guolin about the suicide because I have only been there for a month. Maybe down the road. He does however let me take the qigong classes for free and only charges $100 per month so it does not seem to me that he is greedy. I was also going to set up a seminar for him so I asked him if I can make some money off of it for traveling to the schools to talk to him and he said that was fine.
    i never said he was greedy, i said there was a thread, and that there are a lot of unanswered questions in it. his perspective would be valuable, and i would think that any set of questions coming from bullshido would start with the currently outstanding ones in that thread.

I will say this: Shi guolin does not teach wushu. He is knows fighting application and theory very well. He can tell you every application in a form and it is very practical. Sometimes I am surprised because I think the application is totally different from what it really is. With that being said, I am concerned down the road that we will not drill the applications on a partner. He shows the application of everything but he does not make us drill it on each other. I am just hoping it is because everyone in the school is new. I will say something to him 6-12 months down the road if we do not. Right now he is really taking through the fundamentals every class and conditioning us.
    it doesn't tell you much until you see how the actual sparring goes.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Well this is awkward.
    Did you read the WHOLE Bullshido thread, though?

It's important not to just read the first few posts. There is more to this story than the sensationalism. This appears to be a suicide story that ONLY made the news because it was "Shaolin". The monk who killed himself was said to have mental health issues, and Shi Guolin denied the charges publicly.

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news...197912ef7aa8da

Heng Shan, a 27-year-old Buddhist monk, hung himself in the backyard of a New York residence on Nov. 24. Heng Shan had been ill and fell into depression when he lost his legal status in the United States. The New York Police Department 109th Precinct has ruled Heng Shan’s death as suicide.

Heng Shan immigrated to the United States in 2003 on an H1 work visa sponsored by the New York Shaolin Temple Abbot Guo Lin in Flushing to teach martial arts. But like many monks, Heng Shan received no pay or spending money from the temple, which provided the monks with room and board.

Heng Shan’s death stunned the Buddhist community, some of whom hold Abbot Guo Lin responsible, according to Abbot Heng Lin of the Queens Shaolin Temple. She told the Sing Tao Daily that though Abbot Guo Lin sponsored H1 work visas for monks like Heng Shan, the temple did not continue filing the paperwork required for the monks to legally stay in the United States. Monks like Heng Shan came to the United States legally but became undocumented immigrants when the temples fail to file their paperwork.
    http://www.scmp.com/article/575495/kung-fu-frightening

On November 24, a gloomy and chilly day after America's Thanksgiving celebration, monk Shi Hengshan from the Flushing Shaolin Temple was found hanged by a couple as they put out the rubbish in New York's Chinatown.

While the 27-year-old left no note, authorities ruled that he had taken his own life. The suicide has seen rumours, innuendo and allegations about his death circulate on websites and in Chinese-language newspapers, with Shi Hengshan's friends and associates blaming Shi Guolin, the founding abbot of the Shaolin Temple in Flushing, New York for the tragedy.

They claim Shi Guolin, who had helped him come to the US from the mainland three years ago to work as a kung fu master in the temple, had kept his passport and hadn't been paying him before firing him shortly before his death. In response, Shi Guolin held a tearful news conference saying he was saddened and confused by the suicide - forbidden in Buddhist teachings - and denied the allegations. Shi Guolin admitted the monks did not get paid but said they received free board, food and medical expenses.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/04/2014 10:00pm at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last