My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking to get verify this.

I never thought Ricksons record was truly accurate but I would like to get hard evidence on this.

Rickson losing in Sambo match

Rickson has lost a sambo match to Ron Tripp. He was thrown in under a minute by Uchi Mata for a total victory after attempting a ko soto gake style reap in the 1993 USA Sambo Nationals in Norman, Oklahoma.
    Ron was fighting in the under 200 lbs division and was close to Rickson's weight. Ron Tripp has won the World Heavyweight Sambo Championship and also won a gold at the Pan American Games in Freestyle Wrestling (and is additionally a multiple time world medalist in sambo too). He (Mr. Tripp) was apparently not pleased when I said he was a sambo player on a BJJ forum, so he informed me that he is primarily a judo player "under U.S. great olympian and 96 olympic judo coach Pat Burris" and that he trained as a "freestyle wrestler before starting judo in 1982." Rickson has claimed in the past that the rules weren't explained to him, despite winning a gold medal at the Pan American
    Sambo Championships in his weight class at age 19. He claims the rules to Sambo can vary with the tournament, and that if he had known falling on his back was a loss it wouldn't have happened. I find that a little suspect. No major sambo tournament refuses give big points [or an outright win] for a powerful hip throw that lands the opponent flat on their back. Further, there is almost always a rules review session for competitors before a competition of this size.
    It was a sambo event, in EVERY sambo event there is "total victory", an auto win if you throw a person wo thye land with their head at your feet while you remain standing. Ron Tripp threw Rickson with Uchimata in under a minute and Rickson landed flat on his back at Ron's feet. Supposedly the owner of century martial arts co has video of it? What does it mean? It means that Ron Tripp is a serious grappler with great skills. It means that Rickson lost to Ron Tripp under the rules of Sambo and kneew the rules before hand having already done sambo many times before so no excuse.
    However, it would not really be a big deal except that Rickson continues in his newsletters, articlea and web site to say he is undefeadted in EVERYTHING including sambo and ths is n't true Again, you miss the point, it is NOT the throw. It is the position you end up in. In a match, Ron did not stomp him or shoot him! So Rickson got up and no big deal. In the street, he was in a terrible position. NOT because he was on his back, but becasue he was on his back with Ron at his head. No guard from this postion well I say that you are absolutely full of **** if you expect me to believe a uchimata is the end all be all of a fight.
    Sent by Aaron Thompson - Special thank's to Thomas Mitchel
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 3:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes this is true but Rickson didn't know about the total victory rule.

game dog

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wondered how that scene played out... maybe like this?
    Referee raises Tripp's hand.
    Rickson: What?
    Referee: He won. He scored a total victory.
    Rickson: What???
    Referee: He threw you, remember?
    Rickson: So??
    Referee: That's how you win in Sambo.
    Richson (turning red with anger): Why didn't anyone TELL ME! ARGH! BULLSHIT! ALL FIGHTS END ON THE GROUND! I CAN"T LOSE!! I'M RICKSON GRACIE!!!
    Referee looks at the ceiling, tiptoes away...
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 7:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cont...
    Rickson: HE HAS NO FUCKING AURA!
    Ref: Uhm
    Rickson: (In true Brazilian Ninja style totally flips out and kills everyone...which is why there are no witnesses.)
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old news

WTF? He didn't know?

It wasn't his first Sambo competition.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 9:22pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people don't know about the total victory throw.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by omega
    Most people don't know about the total victory throw.
    Who are these most people?

Most people who didn't read the rules?

That's like saying most people don't know about checkmate if they are playing chess.

And why the **** are you defending the undefeated Rickson?

400-0 = total bullshido
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 11:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe because omega has forgotten more **** than you'll probably ever learn?

I trust his word over yours, dude. He never said he believed the 400-0 claim, but if he says Rickson didn't know, I'd bet money he's heard something that convinced him of this.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    5/11/2004 12:17am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I heard something that convinced me you were a no good loser?

Does it mean it's truely? Well based that I heard it from your wife I believe it to be true. Now not knowing about an instant victory when you claim to be the ultimate grappler is just bullshit.

Don't bitch about rules in a competition you are competing in after you lose.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

~

Posted On:
    5/11/2004 12:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's with all these registered in 2002 posters coming out of the woodworks, making really stupid/arrogent remarks/challenges?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast