1. #1
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Jack Dempseys Drop Step

    Hi everyone Ive been learning Jack Dempsey's drop step and I have a few questions.

    So far I have I think I have mastered the core of the mechanic.

    I get sprung forward mightily fast to the point where my rear foot drags along the groind nail side down.

    How do I stop my foot from scrapping along like this?

    How do I stop my stance becoming so front foot heavy to the point where I am tipping forward and my rear leg is in the air?

    Also I am used to starting with my weight on the rear foot to throw a straight right, with Jacks method he requires you to start with your weight on the front foot, is the weight you transfer via rotation (the normal way from rear foot to front) the same as the weight you transfer by drop stepping forward? It feels like they are different, it feels like you have to sacrifice one to do the other and vice versa. Can you do both? Can you start with the weight on the back foot transfer it forward via hip rotation AND trigger step forward into the punch? OR can you only do one or the other?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    kiama
    Posts
    497
    Style
    Freestyle rasslin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wish I knew what u were talking about. Can I download this info?
    I've spent a fair bit of time experimenting with boxing styles, maybe I could relate if I understood the terminology better.

  3. #3
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,639
    Style
    Mixed
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's talking about the difference between relying on one's own forces or "pushing" a punch up through the rear leg versus Jack Dempsey's "falling step", where the front foot "loads" the strike, and lifting your front foot allows gravity to do it's work with that load.

    Combined with proper timing and rotation AND rear leg footwork it creates a very powerful strike, largely due to basic physics.

    Basically, Dempsey just pointed out that the more you rely on gravity ("falling" etc) to throw a punch, the greater the impact. The principle is not that different from judo's physical principles for throwing, it's about leveraging forces external to your own.

    His own words:

    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    http://8limbs.us/muay-thai-thailand/...n-falling-step

    http://www.amazon.com/Championship-F.../dp/0913111007

    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/04/2014 11:11am at .

  4. #4
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    He's talking about the difference between relying on one's own forces or "pushing" a punch up through the rear leg versus Jack Dempsey's "falling step", where the front foot "loads" the strike, and lifting your front foot allows gravity to do it's work with that load.

    Combined with proper timing and rotation AND rear leg footwork it creates a very powerful strike, largely due to basic physics.

    Basically, Dempsey just pointed out that the more you rely on gravity ("falling" etc) to throw a punch, the greater the impact. The principle is not that different from judo's physical principles for throwing, it's about leveraging forces external to your own.

    His own words:



    http://8limbs.us/muay-thai-thailand/...n-falling-step

    http://www.amazon.com/Championship-F.../dp/0913111007

    We were working on that in judo last night.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    kiama
    Posts
    497
    Style
    Freestyle rasslin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me like a straight right with an emphasis on dropping more body weight?
    I don't really get that he's loading up the lead leg, more weight on it though before throwig'..
    Maybe that's why there is more emphasis on dropping your weight for power as opposed to emphasis on driving forward off the back foot.
    Would make for a quicker punch.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    605
    Style
    Judo noob, injured guy.
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    Wish I knew what u were talking about. Can I download this info?
    I've spent a fair bit of time experimenting with boxing styles, maybe I could relate if I understood the terminology better.
    I like that you're screen name is jdempsey. You can download free PDF copies of Jack Depsey's Championship Fighting (which is where the terms and diagrams in this thread are from) from a bunch of places online.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    kiama
    Posts
    497
    Style
    Freestyle rasslin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I like that you're screen name is jdempsey. You can download free PDF copies of Jack Depsey's Championship Fighting (which is where the terms and diagrams in this thread are from) from a bunch of places online.
    Thank you sir :) I'll have a look around.
    My screen name is so cool , I made it my real name..... Or was it the other way round

  8. #8
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,639
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    Seems to me like a straight right with an emphasis on dropping more body weight?
    I don't really get that he's loading up the lead leg, more weight on it though before throwig'..
    When I say "load" I mean weight in lbs/kgs. The loading of the forward foot means more body weight on it, so that when it's lifted gravity immediately puts that weight in motion. Less of your body weight needs to be shifted using your own muscles.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    Maybe that's why there is more emphasis on dropping your weight for power as opposed to emphasis on driving forward off the back foot.
    Would make for a quicker punch.
    Quicker and harder.

    To really punch like Jack Dempsey you need to do both at the same time, drop as much of your weight as possible via gravity and use your remaining footwork/weight to propel you forward. The idea is to make gravity do most of the work as far as moving your body weight is concerned. Your punches will drive forward and downward into the opponent, which can be devastating.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    kiama
    Posts
    497
    Style
    Freestyle rasslin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought so. Tried it out the other day sparring and I was lucky enough to have the right opponent. Liked to explode straight forward and had a habit of dropping his left. Timed him with a few crackers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in