Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2014 3:52pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbox123 View Post
    Yes, that's actually my instructor Rob Kahn. He teaches at my gym, Gracie Tampa. Real big on using what time is it to get the gift wrap, and from there it's armbar or back take. Really good offensive stuff that I employ in my game, but he hasn't taught a single way to defend it well lmao.

Hey, the what time is it grip has two ways out of it. The first is to give up the arm on your terms, let him expose it but try to time his attack when he switches from pressure to submission and escape or create space.

The second is to resist the what time is it grip by tensing your neck and head muscles and turning your head against the direction of the pressure. This second defense is a stall tactic and he will often switch to the other side and you have to then switch the direction of your resistance.

In theory this will put you in a stalemate, but realistically most guys get impatient when thy don't turn you immediately and try shoulder pressure or something else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2014 10:31pm

Style: Isshinryu Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    One last good one for you to watch
    I appreciate the videos, lots of good knowledge in them. This discussion has made me realize that I need to be in control, but active from a disadvantageous position. It's also introduced me to the concept that defense starts well ahead, when you're first fighting for position.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/14/2014 5:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbox123 View Post
    I appreciate the videos, lots of good knowledge in them. This discussion has made me realize that I need to be in control, but active from a disadvantageous position. It's also introduced me to the concept that defense starts well ahead, when you're first fighting for position.
    You are always fighting for position ,one way or another.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/15/2014 12:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more video for you.

Its has a lot of examples of that constant fight for position BKR was talking about.
    If you watch closely you can constantly see the turn onto the side Saulo Ribeiro was talking about in the first video I shared.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/25/2014 8:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Basically, verrrry basically, if you end up flat on your back, with both shoulders on the mat, it's because you have given up. The finish is inevitable, and all you are doing now is delaying it.
    I disagree. Finishing is not always inevitable. See the recent Gary Tonon escaping Kron Gracie's armbar video for an example. However, I realize I'm being both pedantic and semantic in my reply.

chickenbox123, if your defense gets overcome and you find yourself being put in side control, make a habit of snapping your elbows to your ribs and turning to face your opponent BEFORE they settle into position all the way. This puts them in a less favorable position to attack you while on top. You can also guard your neck with your hands and grip fight when they attempt the "what time is it" grip.

I also favor cupping underneath their elbow with my open palm and pushing it to the far side of my body when they try get that grip. If you get the elbow all the way across your body it sets up a few escapes quite nicely.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2014 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    chickenbox123, if your defense gets overcome and you find yourself being put in side control, make a habit of snapping your elbows to your ribs and turning to face your opponent BEFORE they settle into position all the way. This puts them in a less favorable position to attack you while on top. You can also guard your neck with your hands and grip fight when they attempt the "what time is it" grip.

I also favor cupping underneath their elbow with my open palm and pushing it to the far side of my body when they try get that grip. If you get the elbow all the way across your body it sets up a few escapes quite nicely.
    This is, in essence, grip fighting. Often overlooked, never goes out of style. If a man can't put his hands on you, then he can't physically manipulate you.

Unless his chi is strong, of course.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123