Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    ... within reason, depending on age. Look at Cus d'Amato when he was coaching Mike Tyson.
    Agreed.

There are plenty of old and out of shape Boxing, Judo, Fencing, and Wrestling coaches who still produce good competitors. No one expects Football or Hockey coaches to still be active and physically competitive if the sports they're coaching.

My last Judo coach was physically pretty broken and couldn't do much if any judo himself anymore, but was still an excellent coach because he understood the strategy and mechanics of good Judo. Ultimately, what I'm getting at is if the guy is out of shape but still puts out competent fighters you shouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by D Dempsey; 9/15/2017 1:31pm at . Reason: Typo

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was boxing my coach, who was in his 80s at the time, had compete around the time of and was friends with Jersey Joe Walcott.

Pretty spry for his age actually, but no he would win any cardio contests...

Plenty of competitive fighters came out of his gym.

************ new how to coach a boxer.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No because he may steel my post fight chocolate cake
    King without a crown

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris Taylor was an Olympic medalist that weighed 230kg. Yes you read that right 230kg, that's 507lb for you Americans. He wrestled to NCAA championship under Dan Gable then made the US national team and took Bronze at the '72 Olympics. Would I study under him? Well not under him as, Dan Gable learned to his permanent injury as that could probably break something, but I would learn wrestling from him. Extra padding doesn't necessarily relate to direct fighting/athletic ability.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Chris Taylor was an Olympic medalist that weighed 230kg. Yes you read that right 230kg, that's 507lb for you Americans. He wrestled to NCAA championship under Dan Gable then made the US national team and took Bronze at the '72 Olympics. Would I study under him? Well not under him as, Dan Gable learned to his permanent injury as that could probably break something, but I would learn wrestling from him. Extra padding doesn't necessarily relate to direct fighting/athletic ability.
    +vote for the Dan Gable reference.

Page 2 of 2 First 12