Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Would you study kickboxing from a fat guy?

There is a guy in nyc that runs a kickboxing guy. He is this short guy with a big pot belly. He competed once in a kickboxing match and was destroyed by his opponent. A few of his students won some competition but that is a given. Own a gym with good facilities and you are bound to have a few winners. I have seen crappy teachers have winning students. Would anyone study kickboxing from an overweight, out of shape guy, that competed once[and got his ass handed to him] and is making his pockets fat from prostituting the arts?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldnt. Having said that i have to say that good competition fighters dont always make good teachers. Teaching martial arts is a different artform than actually fighting. When looking for a teacher i dont necessarily search for a world champion but it is important to me that the teacher has competition experience (one fight is not enough IMO). Teaching experience is very important and education as well. I thing that a good martial arts teacher should have a lot of experience, the right character, right attitude. some sort of education in coaching and a good knowledge of the human body and fight psychology. But thats my opinion.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gleason's Gym

Quote Originally Posted by cool chris View Post
    There is a guy in nyc that runs a kickboxing guy. He is this short guy with a big pot belly. He competed once in a kickboxing match and was destroyed by his opponent. A few of his students won some competition but that is a given. Own a gym with good facilities and you are bound to have a few winners. I have seen crappy teachers have winning students. Would anyone study kickboxing from an overweight, out of shape guy, that competed once[and got his ass handed to him] and is making his pockets fat from prostituting the arts?
    No
    Train with me next time. No bullshit here. go to Redplanetfight.com and get more info on me if your interested in at least amateur fighting or private training. I am not doing casual Muay Thai classes at the moment.

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nowadays I take the shape my teacher is in as an indicator of how the training will be. If he's not capable of doing it himself then he's not worth ****.

Find someone whose got both a great gym and a great fight record with other fighters under them who are winners. Thats what you need

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Nowadays I take the shape my teacher is in as an indicator of how the training will be. If he's not capable of doing it himself then he's not worth ****.
    ... within reason, depending on age. Look at Cus d'Amato when he was coaching Mike Tyson.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I wanted to compete in kickboxing, no. If I just wanted to train casually, maybe.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    ... within reason, depending on age. Look at Cus d'Amato when he was coaching Mike Tyson.
    Fat finger, I meant to upvote

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    That being said, I still feel Id be better training under a coach whose in shape with a decent fight record or students with a good fight record than some dude whose out of shape, fought once and lost

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah umm...none of this bullshit is worthy of "advanced striking techniques". It barely qualifies for YMAS.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yeah umm...none of this bullshit is worthy of "advanced striking techniques". It barely qualifies for YMAS.
    very true

Adv striking ----------------> YMAS

weeeeeeeeeeeee (also title change)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last