Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/01/2014 10:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    As already stated, lifting heavy with low volume will increase your muscle mass while decreasing your body fat percentage, but at the cost of extra (however menial or significant) weight.

The following is the opinion of two friends' of mine that graduated with their BS in Exercise Science, one with a minor is S&C, the other I'm not sure of their minor:

Light weight, high reps (12-15) will maximize your fat loss while adding less muscle mass. This will also help with getting the muscles used, used to working longer ie. endurance training.

Hope this helps you.
    Circuit weight training might be helpful as well. For example, I used to set up stations (I got to the gym VERY early), spend 30 seconds at one station and do as many reps as I could in that time, then rest (as in interval training for running/biking/etc) for up to 4 times the 30 seconds, then to next station. By varying work/rest ratio, type of exercise, amount of weight, etc, you can work on different aspects of fitness.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/01/2014 11:01am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    According to my Body Fat thing on my scale (I am not sure how accurate that is) I was 17% after training last night. I haven't ran much in years, so 5-6km was a lot for me to work up to. But after 2 months, its pretty easy and not that far. Based on yours and the other members advice I'll start lifting (high reps/lower weight) and focus more on circuit exercises and use running as a warmup.
    Those electronic scale things have been right on for my bodyfat at times, others way off. I suggest you might want to have that done professionally, although it's really probably not necessary in your case.

5-6 km worked up in 2 months is pretty good, considering your other workouts you get in.

As for not running, I would not give it up completely, but mix in other types of aerobic exercise if possible.

NeilG is a very experienced runner, he might have some good advice in that arena.

Posted On:
    8/01/2014 11:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    with exactness? essentially you don't, according to my regular physio and doctor, but a combination of methods gives the best indications, and the skin fold is considered close enough as your body fat percentage is not as important as many other things, it's just a useful indicative figure
    sorry for lack of paragraphs, phone makes me come off like a dumbass vis a vis text formatting

Sent from my GT-I9100
    Dunking is the best way, but expensive and not necessarily easy to find.

In any case, the skin fold done skillfully by the same person over time can give you an idea of relative progress.

But then, looking in the mirror can do the same thing, LOL !

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/01/2014 11:36am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    BTW, when I first asked about your body fat percentage, I wasn't looking for a very precise figure. It was just a polite way of asking if you are a chubster or not.
    Me in Luxembourg City in April around 180lbs. Its an rear shot, but it should give you an idea.

Posted On:
    8/01/2014 4:12pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding running: if you run a lot you will lean out. I went from wearing XL shirts to mediums training for marathons. However 5 or 6 km is not a lot, in fact I recommend keeping that up 2 or 3 times/week for cardio purposes as well as weight loss.

Regarding lifting heavy - you are not going to gain muscle on a calorie deficit diet. Gaining significant muscle is hard, you need to eat lots and lift heavy. Plus, heavy weights and low reps (3/set) is for strength not hypertrophy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2014 1:21am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Regarding running: if you run a lot you will lean out. I went from wearing XL shirts to mediums training for marathons. However 5 or 6 km is not a lot, in fact I recommend keeping that up 2 or 3 times/week for cardio purposes as well as weight loss.
    Are bodyweight exercises during the run recommended? Just for fitness purposes, I mean, not specific training for a marathon. Like, do 3 km, stop, do some low rep calisthenics (on legged squats, pull ups, dips, leg raises...), and then keep running, several times a week?

Or would the calisthenics be harmful by weakening the core or something, so in the last kms you would be more prone to injury?

Posted On:
    8/02/2014 9:47am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done that kind of drill as a warm up for judo, run for a short time then do some pushups, run some more and do some situps etc but in that case the run part is a lap or two of the dojo. Not sure why you'd want to do that for a longer run. The general advice I have is to run and lift on different days as either one will affect your ability to do the other. Not sure about bodyweight stuff - I would do it at the end of the run myself. Besides, doing pushups in the street would suck and I hate treadmills.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234