You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 6:37am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Without Carbs your body burns protein for energy which is not good in the long run..
    At the risk of going into bro-science territory, this varies from person to person.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 6:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For short term weight loss or long term? Without Carbs your body burns protein for energy which is not good in the long run. Short term, its fine for weight cutting.
    Yams instead?

I will check up on it.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 8:46am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quinoa is a decent replacement for pasta and a great replacement for rice. It seems a downer BC it takes like 20 min to make, but you get used to it.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Surprisingly this is not the case. It actually burns more calories, and the extra muscle you build as a result accelerates the process because it basically increases your bmr. I remember a study from a few years ago that showed that people that ate properly and lifted lost more weight than those that just ate right and did cardio. I'll try to dig it up.
    There's a fine line because muscle is much denser and so weighs more than fat or tissue, off the top of my head about 3x heavier. So an ounce of muscle weighs 3x an ounce of fat (on the scale). Your weight can still increase rather than decrease through weightlifting, no matter how many calories you burn per session. What might change more noticeably is your SIZE/SHAPE, because muscle while being denser, is more compact and takes up less volume (i.e. an ounce of fat is much bigger than an ounce of muscle).

Long term, it makes sense that people who replace fat (and the water in it) weight with muscle weight will end up weighing less, but that might take some time. Essentially your weight loss from just lifting might look like a bell curve drop if you charted it, instead of a linear decrease, and the more you lift, the bigger the "bump", which is why complementing it with cardio is a good way of balancing things.

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/l...ght-13398.html
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/31/2014 11:51am at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 12:34pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

OK Bullshido, it time for you to help me

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    So an ounce of muscle weighs 3x an ounce of fat (on the scale). Your weight can still increase rather than decrease through weightlifting, no matter how many calories you burn per session. What might change more noticeably is your SIZE/SHAPE, because muscle while being denser, is more compact and takes up less volume (i.e. an ounce of fat is much bigger than an ounce of muscle)
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are using volumetric ounces and weight ounces appropriately here, you are still wrong. Muscle is only about 18% more dense than fat (1.06 g/ml vs 0.9).

The main benefit of lifting for weight loss is that you will tend to lose a higher percentage of fat. When you cut calories you will lose a combination of fat and muscle. That ratio will bias more towards fat when you lift.
    Last edited by NeilG; 7/31/2014 12:39pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 12:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a straight calorie cut. I eat around 400 cals around 9am, 800-900 around noon, and another 800-900 around 5-6pm or 10pm (depending on when my workout is). That's interesting, I am not sure if I can do that with my schedule.

I'd love to read that. I'll get some more lifting time in. I am coming off a shoulder/upper bicep injury so I have to be careful, but I can figure it out.

I prefer to compete in the lighter divisions hence why I am going down not up. Body Fat is around 18-19%.
    You lost all that weight and are still at 18-19%? At your height? You must have a fairly small frame...

If you lift higher volume/lighter weights, that might help. Back when I competed at -65 kg my body fat was around 5% I did "aerobic weightlifting" as part of my training cycle, because lifting heavy/lower volume built muscle mass which equals weight to some degree. Of course, with the diet I was following, there weren't many calories left over to build anything...Even though I was eating 2800-3200 calories a day to survive at that level of activity. When I cut to -60 kg as an experiment (that was a mistake), it was pure loss of muscle mass that got me there.

Personal anecdotes aside, running 5-6 km a day isn't very much. More aerobic type exercise will will burn more calories and eat up the excess body fat you are carrying around. I ended up mixing mine up between biking, swimming, running, rowing machine etc to keep from getting repetitive stress injuries (and bored). Plus judo of course...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are using volumetric ounces and weight ounces appropriately here, you are still wrong. Muscle is only about 18% more dense than fat (1.06 g/ml vs 0.9).

The main benefit of lifting for weight loss is that you will tend to lose a higher percentage of fat. When you cut calories you will lose a combination of fat and muscle. That ratio will bias more towards fat when you lift.
    I know I've read about the 3x all over the place, so maybe it's a myth or maybe it's just a different variable being presented. You'll find the "3x" ratio all over the place if you search online (and some debate over it too).

Muscle 3x as metabolically active as fat per volume? I know I saw that one too. Or maybe it's just volume ratio then (3-4x), and the mass/volume density ratio is much smaller as you said (~20% greater). OK I'll buy that. Thanks for the correction.

Here's some of the sources I've seen with the 3x figure...like I said this is something I've seen thrown around a lot so curious what the facts are now...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/he...brod.html?_r=0

Fat takes up about four times the space of muscle tissue
    http://caloriecount.about.com/forums...scle-weigh-fat

One person's opinon, stated on a bb, is that muscle is 3 times as dense as fat. So however many cubic inches of fat would weigh 1 lb, the same amount of cubic inches of muscle would weigh 3 lbs.
    PLUS more muscle mass means you BURN more fat a day, cause muscles need 3 times(not completely sure about that) more kcal to work than "just fat-weight".

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 6:56pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

OK Bullshido, it time for you to help me

OK, let's do a little math. Suppose we have a ripped 150 lb guy with 10% BF. He has the equivalent of 180 lbs of muscle, volume-wise, if we buy the 3X factor. A normal couch potato with 30% BF would have the same volume at 112.5 lbs. Failed sniff test - I don't care how fat a 112.5 lb guy is, he is never going to look about the same size as a 150 lb guy.

If the difference is 18% then a 145 lb man at 30% would be about the same volume as a 150 lb man at 10%. That passes the sniff test for me.
    Last edited by NeilG; 7/31/2014 7:15pm at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 7:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As already stated, lifting heavy with low volume will increase your muscle mass while decreasing your body fat percentage, but at the cost of extra (however menial or significant) weight.

The following is the opinion of two friends' of mine that graduated with their BS in Exercise Science, one with a minor is S&C, the other I'm not sure of their minor:

Light weight, high reps (12-15) will maximize your fat loss while adding less muscle mass. This will also help with getting the muscles used, used to working longer ie. endurance training.

Hope this helps you.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast