• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/23/2014 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything made by Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Les Baer. Also I am a fan of Dan Wessons :)

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    8/31/2014 12:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Verdict?
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Posted On:
    9/01/2014 8:24am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I bought a $600 Springfield Mil-Spec a couple months ago. Next I'm going to throw almost all the parts in a shoe box and replace them with $1,500 worth of other parts I bought, investing countless hours in the process. Not exactly the easy way to do things but I'm more excited than a kid on Christmas. I've been waiting a while to do this. I plan to make this one my baby.
    Easy way is for suckers. What all are you planning on doing?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/01/2014 11:02am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Easy way is for suckers. What all are you planning on doing?
    Off the top of my head:
    *Lower frame rails, tighten slide as needed.
    *Fit a match grade Wilson Combat barrel and bushing.
    *Bomar adjustable tritium rear sight. Novak tritium front sight.
    *Install a mag well.
    *Checker the front strap.
    *Hand fit and blend a beavertail grip safety.
    *Ambi safety.
    *Skeletonized hammer.
    *New trigger & trigger job, including a new sear.
    *VZ grips.
    *Re-tension the extractor.
    *All new springs and pins.
    *May add front cocking serrations.
    *Refinish - I'll probably just re-parkerize it.

Not looking at my to-do list at the moment, but that should cover most of it. We'll be replacing and/or altering basically every part of the gun.

As a side note, this weekend we took measurements of all our slide and frame surfaces to see what kind of play we had in our slide to frame fit. I was really impressed with the fit of my out of the box Springfield Mil-Spec.

There are multiple dimensions that come into play and the greatest variance in any of them was .005". Most of the slide to fram variances were in the .003"-.004" range. When I reviewed my Kunnhausen 1911 books I found that those tolerances are pretty much exactly where you want to be for a service pistol. My gun is actually on the tighter side of those specs. In non-technical terms, what that means is Springfield Armory is paying attention to what they're doing. Very precise fit. I was pretty pleased and it will take minimal effort to turn it into a match grade pistol.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/01/2014 11:08am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    As a side note, this weekend we took measurements of all our slide and frame surfaces to see what kind of play we had in our slide to frame fit. I was really impressed with the fit of my out of the box Springfield Mil-Spec.

There are multiple dimensions that come into play and the greatest variance in any of them was .005". Most of the slide to fram variances were in the .003"-.004" range. When I reviewed my Kunnhausen 1911 books I found that those tolerances are pretty much exactly where you want to be for a service pistol. My gun is actually on the tighter side of those specs. In non-technical terms, what that means is Springfield Armory is paying attention to what they're doing. Very precise fit. I was pretty pleased and it will take minimal effort to turn it into a match grade pistol.
    After reading this thread, this is not helping my decision I made yesterday to refrain from buying a SA 1911.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/01/2014 2:46pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    After reading this thread, this is not helping my decision I made yesterday to refrain from buying a SA 1911.
    Do it, man! YOLO!

Posted On:
    9/04/2014 10:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm . . . I may have just gotten myself into trouble. Found out what the military discount for the Dan Wesson Valor was. While the lack of ambi safety and mere 5 yr warranty irk me slightly, it is also the most beautiful 1911 on the market (one man's opinion) and has basically every feature I want besides the ambi safety. Springfield Range Officer, you might not be coming home with me after all.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    9/12/2014 8:37am

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All this talk of 1911's I had to buy one.

Yeah, it's a cheap RIA Compact but it is a really nice piece. I paid $450 for it with two 7rd Officer mags and two boxes of 230gr FMJ, enough to start the break in process. Only thing I am changing at the moment are the grips. IIF, this is a great way to start your 1911 addiction.
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 9/12/2014 8:40am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    9/12/2014 8:43am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    All this talk of 1911's I had to buy one.

Yeah, it's a cheap RIA Compact but it is a really nice piece. I paid $450 for it with two 7rd Officer mags and two boxes of 230gr FMJ, enough to start the break in process. Only thing I am changing at the moment are the grips. IIF, this is a great way to start your 1911 addiction.
    Cool. My suggestion - new mags right off the bat. I like Wilson Combat.

Posted On:
    9/12/2014 8:57am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, only semi-related but I'll mention it anyway since it concerns the creator of the 1911, John M. Browning, the favorite son of God.

I just started reading his bio. I knew his father was a gunsmith and I knew John grew up in a gun shop. What I didn't know was that his father was away often and he was left running the shop a lot.........at the age of seven. His father still did the work but he often received customer's guns and diagnosed them on the spot. He never had much interest in school. He finally went to school the first time for the sole purpose of learning to write repair tickets so his mother wouldn't have to do it for him.

As with most things in life, the most committed person wins.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast