233697 Bullies, 3302 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 12:31pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One other thing that popped in my head. You also expressed some interest recently in owning a suppressor. If you like Sig 1911s, what about one of the threaded barrel models? Sig has a few to choose from.

Edit: By the way, regardless of which 1911 you choose, remember there's only one proper way to carry it - in the waist band of your ball hugger blue jeans like Thomas Magnum.
    Last edited by Devil; 7/31/2014 12:38pm at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 1:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an early Kimber Custom Classic, a stainless SA Loaded and a SA Champion Operator. All three are excellent and I've had no problems or issues.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 1:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sig did have a really great promotion where they gave you the .22 lr version when you purchase the .45 acp.
    Yes, this caught my eye when I started leaning towards a 1911 instead of an AR-15. I want another handgun.

Great advice. 1000-1500 is around my range, but Sam got me with this:
    Unless you make your living target shooting, a working pistol is not worth that.
    This is how I feel.

I can't really answer the carry, target and other minutiae questions because it changes day to day.

Thanks for all of the help, really informative.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Para-Ordnance P14-45. All of the goodness of a decent 1911, double the loud noises. Pretty big around the grip, but I have medium hands, and it doesn't bother me. I suppinate my wrist a bit so the back strap falls more into the palm than along the ridge of the thumb.

1911s are super easy to mod. I added a beavertail to the Para, and reduced the contact area on the sear.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your at all handy you can always go this way

Get a frame

http://www.brownells.com/items/1911-frame-kit.aspx

and a kit

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911auto...lessframe.aspx

BTW not saying that these are the best choices in frames or kits.

However their is something nice about putting together your own gun.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 5:59pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    I have a Para-Ordnance P14-45. All of the goodness of a decent 1911, double the loud noises. Pretty big around the grip, but I have medium hands, and it doesn't bother me. I suppinate my wrist a bit so the back strap falls more into the palm than along the ridge of the thumb.

1911s are super easy to mod. I added a beavertail to the Para, and reduced the contact area on the sear.
    I've been thinking about getting another Para. I loved my Warthog and still kick myself for selling it. They have had some issues in recent years but now have a lifetime warranty Did they fix the peening issue on the slides or is that still around?

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 7:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Oh, forgot you mentioned Sig. Like them too. If they've got what you think you'd like I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sig.
    Sig makes a nice 1911 as well. If you could still get the free 22lr conversion kit, that would be an excellent option.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I can't really answer the carry, target and other minutiae questions because it changes day to day.
    If you're not sure what you want to do with it, my number one recommendation would be the Springfield Loaded. It's a great all 'rounder that is really nice cost/quality. Regardless of what you buy, if you imagine mixed use or are uncertain of what you want to do with the pistol, I'd highly recommend getting fixed sights (possibly with tritium inserts). If you decide you want to do dedicated target shooting later, you can always get adjustables put on. While I'm sure someone makes carry and home defense friendly adjustable sights for 1911s, I prefer the simplicity of fixed for a "fighting" gun.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 8:23pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I've been thinking about getting another Para.
    I traded my Para G.I. Expert in on my Kimber; the dealer gave me fifty dollars more on trade than I paid for it new. It was a good entry-level 1911 but I wanted a little more.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 10:16pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    If your at all handy you can always go this way

Get a frame

http://www.brownells.com/items/1911-frame-kit.aspx

and a kit

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911auto...lessframe.aspx

BTW not saying that these are the best choices in frames or kits.

However their is something nice about putting together your own gun.

I can appreciate the enthusiasm but that's a negative, Ghost Rider.

Building a custom 1911 from a slide/frame kit is not a beginner level project. It's not like building an AR. A monkey can build an AR. A 1911 is a completely different animal. There's really no such thing as drop-in parts when you're building a 1911. Lots of hand fitting is required and if you change one thing on a 1911 you may then have to change five other things to make it run.

The parts in most of those kits are intentionally machined oversized and will not fit together properly out of the box. The whole idea is for the builder to be able to to remove the exact amount of material they want in order to get precisely the fit they're looking for.

It's usually not a big deal to take a functioning 1911 and change a few parts here and there. If you're just swapping a couple parts you'll know what the problem is if the gun stops running. But if you're trying to build one from the ground up with no previous gunsmithing experience there's about a 90 percent chance your project is going to become a giant ass wound.

Also, you're going to need to spend money on proper tools. You need to understand the tolerances for each part. And most of all, you need to have already invested some time developing some basic craftsmanship with the tools you'll be working with.

I'm 3/4 of the way through gunsmithing school and we're just getting to 1911s this semester. There's a reason for that. 1911 parts are expensive and you don't want to go hacking on them when you don't even know how to use a file or polishing stone properly.

Bob Marvel, who is one of the best 1911 builders in the world teaches classes at my school during the summer. I haven't taken his class yet but I've seen a bunch of his students' pistols. Some of them are amazing and some of them look like total ****. Even under his watchful eye, at the end of the day the build quality depends on the skill of the man with the tools in his hands. He teaches them everything they need to know to build a masterpiece but it's difficult for a complete noob to apply those techniques.

Just some food for thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2014 12:32pm

Style: Okinawan Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how much you are willing to spend... I have a Les Baer Custom Carry, great shooter but also goes for $1850 (when I bought it). I suggest you check out the following thread, great overview of 1911's at different price ranges.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...1-addicts.511/
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast