...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 3:53am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sony caves into North Korea and submits to a murderous sociopath

I have to say I'm disappointed by theaters cancelling showings of "The Interview" because of North Korea making terroristic threats and even moreso by Sony cancelling the release thus betraying freedom of expression while honoring shortsighted and craven self-serving fear.

I feel like Sony is kind of an analog to many of the thing that are sick about our society. It's a greedy company that is quick to treat its customers like criminals through DRM while at the same time cutting corners on security (thus disrespecting the customers and employees whose information it has stewardship of). I guess when it feels like it's in a position of entitlement or power it can be the big man on the block, but the moment it feels a little bit of liability or a little bit threatened it puts on this shameful, sickening display.

I think this myopic thinking driven by greed, fear, and self-centerdness is the same stuff that has lead people in the US to abandon many rights and privacies because of the threat of terrorism, violent crime, or whatever. We talk about freedom a lot but can there be freedom without courage and without a mature and considered acceptance of death, which includes an acknowledgement of the impossibility of completely eliminating the threat of terrorism? Hell, in the US, we don't accept death; on the contrary we're obsessed with youth!

Seeing as how Sony got a black eye from North Korea, I feel like the manly response would have been to release the movie more widely than originally planned and make a provision to allow people to view it anonymously so NK wouldn't have a way to get back at them specifically. Maybe offer a slight discount on cash ticket purchases or something like that.

Then the CEO should pose shirtless with an AR15 with a caption that says, "Bring it fat commie, we don't cooperate with terrorists."

To quote the hackneyed pseudo-Chinese saying that was probably written by a white guy, "Better to die a broken piece of jade than live a life of clay."
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 4:22am

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sony is letting the terrorists win. That bothers me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 4:30am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sony should release rights of the movie it premier it on the original release date on network television at prime time on multiple channels.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

That's how you do it.

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're not releasing another Seth Rogan movie? Where am I supposed to get my mediocrity fix now?!?

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 6:46pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is so amazing it's almost as if I have seen it somewhere before.......

You know like when I already fucking posted it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 6:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The cynical part of me wonders if the real reason Sony agreed was to drum up publicity for a meh as **** movie. Would any of us be talking about this movie if the whole NK thing didn't happen? I'll bet they decide at the last minute to show it anyway once they realize how many newsfeeds are going off talking about this movie (that probably sucks big time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    This thread is so amazing it's almost as if I have seen it somewhere before.......

You know like when I already fucking posted it.

Posted On:
    12/18/2014 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The cynical part of me wonders if the real reason Sony agreed was to drum up publicity for a meh as **** movie. Would any of us be talking about this movie if the whole NK thing didn't happen? I'll bet they decide at the last minute to show it anyway once they realize how many newsfeeds are going off talking about this movie (that probably sucks big time).

I can't disagree on the likelihood of the movie being meh. Now the cancellation of the team america movie though truly sucks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2014 12:36am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Sony is letting the terrorists win. That bothers me.
    No, the theater chains did that and admitted it as well.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/son...le-fox-n270281

The decision by Sony came after some of the nation's largest movie theater chains, including Regal, Cinemark, Carmike and Cineplex, said they were holding back or dropping "The Interview" from screens in the aftermath of a hack that has ballooned from embarrassing disclosures for Sony Pictures executives to involve threats against theaters screening the film.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6342948.html
    EARLIER: The five largest movie theater companies have dropped "The Interview" after threats from the Sony hack. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark and Cineplex Entertainment have joined Carmike Cinemas in pulling the film from release.

Landmark Sunshine Cinemas also canceled its New York premiere of the film, and another Northeast chain with 55 locations, Bow Tie Cinemas, decided to abandon plans to show the film following the threats. "The safety and comfort of our patrons is foremost in our minds," Bow Tie CEO Ben Moss told Variety.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...er-of-screens/

I'm much more disgusted by the theater chains, which is more about revenue, than Sony.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast