Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,875
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    belt system for cross fit.

    Just an idea a mate came up with on Facebook.

    The problem is cross fit can cripple people unprepared for the fitness jump. And is becoming an issue.

    That solution seemed to be simple and elegant.


    Quote from the danimal.

    This idea is a bit out of left field but with the ease of access to crossfit gyms opening all around the world. Any old person can go to one, therefore crossfit is no longer just for the elite athletes. Much like every MMA/BJJ/Boxing/Wrestling gym arou[/COLOR]nd, we encourage people from all walks of life to get involved... Therefore the risk of very poorly tuned participants participating in complex workouts increases...

    So, instead of jumping on the lawsuit bandwagon, or bagging out crossfit all together. (Like many do) we all agree that something is better than nothing.

    So why not introduce a standardised experience system much like coloured belts in martial arts... Introductory people (white belts) are taught to do basic movements and therefore graded on their technique, fitness and knowledge of the practice before moving to the next belt exercises and WODs?

    Of course you'll have the same egotistical people you have in martial arts who grade themselves but it will greatly reduce injuries and potential lawsuits when at the end of the day, people participating in exercise is what we want??
    [/COLOR]
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  2. #2
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,202
    Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This actually seems reasonable.

  3. #3
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,875
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    This actually seems reasonable.
    Yeah solved before it is even an issue. I wonder how long it will take for someone to implement it.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  4. #4
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,808
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Of course you'll have the same egotistical people you have in martial arts who grade themselves but it will greatly reduce injuries and potential lawsuits when at the end of the day, people participating in exercise is what we want??
    Well, if they're a black belt in Crossfit they should be able to demonstrate proficiency in a way outside of $10,000 no rules challenge fights. The Thomas Daw types who fabricate their own ranks are usually pudgy fuckers that would be easily defeated by a crossfit workout of the day.

  5. #5
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,815
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Just an idea a mate came up with on Facebook.

    The problem is cross fit can cripple people unprepared for the fitness jump. And is becoming an issue.

    That solution seemed to be simple and elegant.


    Quote from the danimal.

    This idea is a bit out of left field but with the ease of access to crossfit gyms opening all around the world. Any old person can go to one, therefore crossfit is no longer just for the elite athletes. Much like every MMA/BJJ/Boxing/Wrestling gym arou[/COLOR]nd, we encourage people from all walks of life to get involved... Therefore the risk of very poorly tuned participants participating in complex workouts increases...

    So, instead of jumping on the lawsuit bandwagon, or bagging out crossfit all together. (Like many do) we all agree that something is better than nothing.

    So why not introduce a standardised experience system much like coloured belts in martial arts... Introductory people (white belts) are taught to do basic movements and therefore graded on their technique, fitness and knowledge of the practice before moving to the next belt exercises and WODs?

    Of course you'll have the same egotistical people you have in martial arts who grade themselves but it will greatly reduce injuries and potential lawsuits when at the end of the day, people participating in exercise is what we want??
    [/COLOR]
    The dan-i system in Japan is applied not only to martial arts but to shojo (calligraphy), Go (Japanese checkers), flower arranging, etc.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  6. #6
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,682
    Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It originated with swimming I think

    Also "Japanese checkers" does Go a disservice.

  7. #7
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,811
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    It originated with swimming I think
    The dan-i system started in Go.

    Kano did with swimming the same he did with JJJ

    https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article...4/52_0483/_pdf

    On topic:

    The rank system in crossfit sounds good. Is there any crossfit governing body who could set the standards?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kennewick, WA
    Posts
    112
    Style
    Pekiti-Tirsia Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about other Crossfit boxes but the at the one I attend the workouts are tiered. I am not great at the Oly lifts, so I drop my level when I see a bunch of cleans on the WOD, so I can maintain good technique. A bodyweight workout usually has me running at the prescribed workout. Most of our box is made up of people not running the RX workout, and just like in a room of beltless martial arts, everyone knows who the top guys are.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

  9. #9
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,815
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    It originated with swimming I think

    Also "Japanese checkers" does Go a disservice.
    You are losing your sense of humor ? I play go with my boys, and they almost always beat me...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  10. #10
    blackmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,152
    Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there's one thing that could make crossfit culture in Austin, TX, any douche-ier, it is this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO