My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 12:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    Technically, I guess I am using it to prevent side control rather than escape it. As they are attempting to get head control I go for the arm they are reaching with. Similar to what Marcelo does here (from 1.15 mark)

I get it. What do you do against a guy who doesn't make fundamental errors ? for example, controls the near arm first instead of jumping straight for the head ?

BTW, at the BJJ place I go to (not often enough), there is a purple belt who trained extensively with Marcelo. The guy is awesome...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2015 7:07am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they're not controlling my head I try to go two against one with the controlling arm.

I can generally shrimp enough to bring my near side knee across their hip line and replace or even sweep from here depending on their reaction.

If this fails it's usually countered by hip switching as I shrimp and securing something like kesa gatame. So then it's on to kesa escapes...

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/16/2015 12:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    If they're not controlling my head I try to go two against one with the controlling arm.

I can generally shrimp enough to bring my near side knee across their hip line and replace or even sweep from here depending on their reaction.

If this fails it's usually countered by hip switching as I shrimp and securing something like kesa gatame. So then it's on to kesa escapes...
    OK, that's where I was going with it anyway. It's foolish to try to control the head when the guy has framed up (correctly) like that, that's what I meant by fundamental error.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/22/2015 5:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nice

Thanks Jason, gotta practice this!

Posted On:
    4/28/2015 4:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I agree

Everyone says in class how difficult I am to get side control - I use exactly this sort of 'stiff arm' / transitional escape to nullify my opponents pressure to set up a re-guard. Great Tip here!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12