Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 6:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OBAMA GUN BAN OMG!!!

Okay, so Obama, according to the gun nuts, has banned Saiga and Kalashnikov or not if you really read. Anyway, has anybody shot one? Is it worth getting one just because the fear will drive the price up since "gun nutz iz stoopid?"

I shot a fully auto one about a decade+ ago, it was fun, but never cared about owning one. Still don't care to, but it something to discuss damn it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 7:12pm

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought fully auto was a done deal on the no-no? I'm English though so, oh noz gunz!

I've shot the AK-47 on range but that was more so we knew what it sounded like, rather shooting for fun.

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 7:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would avoid the Saiga
    this review can put it better than I can
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...matic-shotgun/

As far as the AK goes its a gun I grew up shooting so I am a bit biased, but it is a work horse pretty reliable, pretty damn easy to shoot, easy to find high capacity mags for.

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 9:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have fired an m60 on full auto. They wouldn't let me do it from the hip.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Is it worth getting one just because the fear will drive the price up since "gun nutz iz stoopid?"
    I've hardly ever came out ahead of the game by using a gun as an investment. Once the huge scare was over, ammo and gun prices came back down.
    I shot a fully auto one about a decade+ ago, it was fun, but never cared about owning one. Still don't care to, but it something to discuss damn it.
    I've shot a couple of them but prefer the AR-15 / M-16 platform. This is merely a matter or personal preference. The AK is a reliable, user-friendly weapon with a decent round. I don't really have any desire to own one, but would want to be able to should I get the yearning.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 9:38pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I've hardly ever came out ahead of the game by using a gun as an investment.
    LOL. I watched closely, there is an entire thread, it took 5 months for the AR prices to drop. I waited and I've seen them go as low as 479 for a new company and 559 for popular budget brands. I never sell guns I buy. I'd buy it because I missed a few, which I want now, after the fact. Also, yeah invest is interesting. I have watched 3 gun and ammo scares in 6 years. Oh and ammo is dropping, but it is still priced too high.

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 9:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so Obama, according to the gun nuts, has banned Saiga and Kalashnikov or not if you really read. Anyway, has anybody shot one? Is it worth getting one just because the fear will drive the price up since "gun nutz iz stoopid?"

Link to the current list of Ukraine-related sanctions against Russia:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen.../20140716.aspx

What annoys me is the deliberate thought that went into NOT creating meaningful sanctions, since sanctioning Gazprom or another economic powerhouse would create a backlash in Europe. So the implied task there was to find companies and individuals to sanction that would be "meaningful" in some way or another, while not necessarily significant.

Enter this topic, and the ban on importation of all Kalashnikov/Izhmash Concern firearms, which includes Saiga, Molot, VEPR, and pretty much all Russian-made Kalashnikov-pattern firearms. This is a generally toothless sanction--though meaningful in that it splashed the Kalashnikov name in the news, and was a pretty blatant decision to pick something in an economic sector that would mostly affect people who weren't going to vote Democrat in the fall anyway. The concerning portion of the sanction is probably moreso related to the question of what sort of stake Kalashnikov/Izhmash Concern and its subsidiaries has in the Russian Ammunition industry. And will treasury bother to ferret that information out, or just go with a blanket ban?

At any rate, lots of other imported AKs and receivers are nice, so this sanction is mostly a temporary annoyance. Unfortunately, VEPR does make the nicest available stock AK-pattern semi-auto shotgun, so if anyone is concerned about price gouging, they may want to move quickly in that particular direction.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2014 11:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Link to the current list of Ukraine-related sanctions against Russia:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen.../20140716.aspx

What annoys me is the deliberate thought that went into NOT creating meaningful sanctions, since sanctioning Gazprom or another economic powerhouse would create a backlash in Europe. So the implied task there was to find companies and individuals to sanction that would be "meaningful" in some way or another, while not necessarily significant.

Enter this topic, and the ban on importation of all Kalashnikov/Izhmash Concern firearms, which includes Saiga, Molot, VEPR, and pretty much all Russian-made Kalashnikov-pattern firearms. This is a generally toothless sanction--though meaningful in that it splashed the Kalashnikov name in the news, and was a pretty blatant decision to pick something in an economic sector that would mostly affect people who weren't going to vote Democrat in the fall anyway. The concerning portion of the sanction is probably moreso related to the question of what sort of stake Kalashnikov/Izhmash Concern and its subsidiaries has in the Russian Ammunition industry. And will treasury bother to ferret that information out, or just go with a blanket ban?

At any rate, lots of other imported AKs and receivers are nice, so this sanction is mostly a temporary annoyance. Unfortunately, VEPR does make the nicest available stock AK-pattern semi-auto shotgun, so if anyone is concerned about price gouging, they may want to move quickly in that particular direction.
    See, you get it. That's why I laughed when I saw all of the "Ban ban ban hide your gun" talk. Funnier still was I read 13660-62, saw it wasn't a blanket bad and was like WTF? It was more a specific brand than the AK itself. If the Russian ones were top notch, I'd hop on one while they are still cheap. The VEPR is what I was thinking about as well, so thanks for that information.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2014 5:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had to laugh at all the gun nuts who are posting on Facebook about how Obama has banned AK 47's. Typical propaganda.

Posted On:
    7/19/2014 6:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are plenty of stupid people on both sides of the fence. I think it's fair to say that the Democratic party as a whole has taken a far stronger stance on gun control in the past few years than it has since the AWB helped cost them Congress. I am certain the Obama Administration knew exactly what was going to happen when the latest round of sanctions was announced, and figured it wouldn't really hurt the mid-term election results, and might even serve as a bit of a rallying cry/morale boost for gun control proponents. Personally, I think this was a tactically stupid idea, since it shows that the current administration is just as willing as congress to continue the divisive politics, and is willing to do so in cases where it really gains them nothing of practical value.

I would like to purchase a VEPR 12 at some point, though. Especially since Saigas have gone up so much in price. The gap is a lot narrower than it used to be, and Saigas need a lot more than $200 in work to bring them up to VEPR 12 quality.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast