Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2007 8:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/BJJ , Muay Thai, +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by International W
    I used to go to AZ Combat Sports when I was semi regularly living here. Don't know where they are now though, their old location is empty now. I'm only back here temporarily, I work out with some guys down at Pure Fitness on Baseline/Rural once in a while. Either that or I go over the the Sunkist club and get in some work there. Ask Goldust though, he probably knows more about who to train with here. The only BJJ guys I know are Megaton, Gustavo, Jerry, and the con man. I don't know any other legit BJJ instructors, though the rage in the cage guy being legit is dubious at best. Now it seems like there's a school that does BJJ on every corner, when 10 years ago there were basically 2, and only one of those was actually worth it.

I'm probably not gonna stick around past June because of the weather. I grew up here, but can't stand the heat. It's not as hot in the Bahamas, and the humidity balances it out, but there I can at least walk to the beach or harass the tourists at Club Med.

Too bad nobody does BJJ down there or else I might never have to come back to the mainland.
    When you say "rage in the cage guy", who are you referring to? If it's who I think you're talking about, I can clear that up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2007 2:12pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFVSouthpaw
    When you say "rage in the cage guy", who are you referring to? If it's who I think you're talking about, I can clear that up.
    That guy is the con man who promotes rage in the cage. I posted about how he tried to get me to fight after Homer Moore said I should go talk with him about it. He's also an alleged BJJ black belt, but nobody in California looks at him that way, and Megaton used to laugh about it all the time, because back in 97 he wasn't a black belt but was still teaching and acting as if he was somehow better than Megaton, a total laugh there. I've met the guy exactly twice and that's still 3 times too many.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/05/2007 7:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is his name?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His name is Roland "Doomster" Sarrea, and a couple of times at BJJ/grappling tournaments years ago Megaton and his guys would get heated up and sometimes wind up nearly brawling. I never competed at the tournaments because I didn't feel I was ready enough, and was also concentrating on wrestling, but I would go and support my friends from Megaton's school.

When I was training in California, and they found out I was from Arizona guys would ask me f I trained with Megaton or "the dumpster", which shows that nobody thought highly of him. I just didn't like his attitude towards me honestly. When I first met him in 97 at Homer's encouragement, the guy didn't even seem to care if I'd ever done anything remotely close to MMA or combat sports ever. He never asked if I'd trained, he didn't really want to do much other than try to pump me up t fight like a used car salesman trying to unload a lemon on someone. Then I saw him again by chance a few years later and he remembered me as Homer Moore's friend, even though by that point Homer and I hadn't spoken since around 98 or 99. I quit associating myself with Homer when he began a lifestyle that I wanted no part of. Then he tried to get me to fight a guy named Del Hawkins who without cutting I probably outweigh by 30 pounds. Del's a tough guy, but if we were to fight I'd probably wind up hurting him. No knock against Del who's a great 145 pounder, but dropping to 150-155 from 175 wouldn't be hard for me given 6-7 weeks, and fighting someone like Del under those conditions would be bad. I asked Dumpster if he could get Joe Stevenson because that was someone I really wanted to fight, and he said no. I'm not going to take an easy fight like Hawkins, who's a great guy personally. We're both Christians, and believe strongly in God and our faith, so I've respected Hawkins because he never ran from bigger guys and is strong in his faith.

In short, he probably didn't want to shell out the dough for anyone who was a quality opponent for me to face, and I wasn't going to beat up some college kid or undersized 155 pounder for the benefit of his show. Fighting is a business to me, I take it seriously, and if I'm going to spent 6-7 weeks training for a fight, I'm preparing to go the full 3 rounds and going to war. I don't want to take it easy and fight someone I can beat in 30 seconds. That's what I would have gotten had I signed up to fight for this con man.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 1:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/BJJ , Muay Thai, +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by International W
    That guy is the con man who promotes rage in the cage. I posted about how he tried to get me to fight after Homer Moore said I should go talk with him about it. He's also an alleged BJJ black belt, but nobody in California looks at him that way, and Megaton used to laugh about it all the time, because back in 97 he wasn't a black belt but was still teaching and acting as if he was somehow better than Megaton, a total laugh there. I've met the guy exactly twice and that's still 3 times too many.
    I know him personally, and I don't know much about his business practices, or know much, or give a **** about the drama and politics of fight promotion, but I can tell you he's good enough to train with, and certainly better than some bullshit RBSD eye-gouge fu crapola. When I started at Rickson's academy back in '95-96 he was training there, and he was a purple belt then I believe. I know he's done a fair amount of training with other guys too and while he may not be the best, he's good enough.

I don't think it's fair to judge somebody's ability to teach based on personal beefs that have nothing to do with fighting itself. Also, not being a black belt and teaching is nothing new. In places where there aren't any real jits around, a good blue or purple is good enough to teach beginners. ****, most blue or purple belts all else equal would wipe the floor with most krotty or other crappy MA's. Lower belts teaching was common practice back in those days because jits was relatively new on the scene, and there were few black belts. I remember when guys were claiming to be some of the few non Brazilian black belts because it was so rare. Now everyone from Joe Rogan to Andy Wong have black belts. Even at Rickson's academy one of the main instructors who was Brazilian was a brown belt. When I trained at the Beverly hills jits club Marc Laimon was only a brown belt and those guys certainly were qualified to teach. Maybe not ready to coach champion MMA guys at the world class level, but good enough to teach beginner and intermediate guys.

My point is, don't let personal opinions not based on fighting/teaching ability get in the way of rational, critical thinking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 4:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a problem with people who talk themselves up a lot, but are just full of it. Dumpster never really accomplished a whole lot of anything, anywhere. I've admittely never seen him compete, but heard more than enough from the Mahacdos and Megaton, plus seen him at local tournaments coaching before.

I'm not claiming to be a world beater or anything great, in reality on jiu-jitsu alone I'm maybe a blue belt at best. Fortunately I've been wrestling for 20+ years, so have more than enough experience to make up for that. When I was training at Megaton's semi regularly, Megaton was (and probably still is) the real deal. I know for a fact he'd repeatedly tried to get this guy on the mat, and each time it was a new excuse. The reason he wouldn't is because he knew exactly what would happen and that would be Megaton spanking him horribly in front of a lot of people 'in the know' from back then. I'm from the school of thought, if you talk a big game, back it up or quit talking. If you get spanked, take your beating, get back up, train harder and try again. I don't think that talking yourself up is bad, but be prepared to have someone call you on it. This clownshoe obviously had no intention of ever getting into a BJJ or grappling match against anyone who could potentially embarass him in this state. But from what I hear he has no problem doing that in California, this coming from the Machado brothers and a good friend of mine who was an instructor there. I think Margarida Pontes tapped him in the first 30 seconds or something like that. But to hear about it from the Dumpster you'd think he went to battle and was winning by advantage until he made a mistake and got tapped (he told me about this in 2002 or 2003). It's almost as bad as hearing fight stories from Shannon Ritch, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Anyway, I'm sure he's a nice enough guy when he's not trying to sell you something. Just the experiences I've had in dealing with him haven't been good which is why I choose not to associate myself with con men like this guy. Nothing personal, just I can't respect anyone who conducts themself that way.

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 11:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFVSouthpaw
    When I started at Rickson's academy back in '95-96 he was training there, and he was a purple belt then I believe. I know he's done a fair amount of training with other guys too and while he may not be the best, he's good enough.
    My point is, don't let personal opinions not based on fighting/teaching ability get in the way of rational, critical thinking.
    Word I've heard from BJJ community is he's a legitimate brown belt that promoted himself to black. Which is why he has a bad rep. And he doesn't really teach at his school as he's doing the promoter stuff often.

That's the main beef. And speaks to fighting / teaching ability as opposed to personal opinion.

Do you know differently?
    Last edited by chingythingy; 5/06/2007 11:55am at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So our next question is, who did he receive his BJJ black belt from?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 6:25pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He didn’t receive a black belt from anyone as far as I know. He just decided to put one on one day. He used to tell anyone who asked where he received it from “I got my black belt from god.” At least that was the line he was using a few years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't aware god gave out black belts. Who knew? Maybe I should start going to church twice a week now, maybe I can get my purple belt by the end of the year if I don't skimp when the collection plate comes around, haha.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast