Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dana White: 'UFC will sign Gina Carano next week'

News Article Title
    Dana White: 'UFC will sign Gina Carano next week'
    News Article Content

Former Strikeforce champion Gina Carano hasn't fought in over five years but UFC president Dana White promises that his promotion will sign her to a contract in the coming week. Evidently high off of signing top bantamweight prospect Holly Holm to the UFC this week, White is confident that he will ink the crossover star within days.
    "One down, one to go," White recently told ESPN.

"I'm going to meet with Gina next week and get that [expletive] thing done. Next week, man." The UFC has reportedly negotiated with Carano and her team for months and, according to White, the details and her signing are now simply a formality. "It's just a matter of me and [UFC co-owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta] going to jump on a plane to Los Angeles, get in a room with her and her lawyer and get this thing done."

Carano has not fought since losing via TKO to Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino in August of 2009 and has gone on to a busy film career. "Conviction" also had trouble making 145 and 150 pound weight limits for fights in the past so it is still unclear if she would or could make the UFC bantamweight limit of 135 pounds or if the promotion would allow her to fight at a higher, currently non-existent weight for them.

Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has said in the past that she would make an exception and fight at a higher weight in order to take on Carano. According to White, Carano wants the fight with Rousey badly. "There is no doubt about it, she wants to fight," he said. "And she wants to fight Ronda."

Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda & @YahooCagewriter

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...133647789.html

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2014 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My god if I ever needed one of those who cares memes it's right now. If I don't comeback and post one be sure those are my sentiments. I'll go as far as say it's an insult to the entire woman's bantamweight division to say after 5 years she can just comeback. If she gets past 9-2 what exactly the blue hell is she supposed to do with Rousey? People who haven't laid off for 5 years can't do anything with her. An unattractive Invicta fighter caught heat for saying the UFC just wants pretty girls to fight and Rousey is the only one with talent but this crap here gives credence to that fighters words.
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/13/2014 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i honestly dont understand why this fight would happen. maybe if carano won a few other fights first, sure. or as a starter for a new 145 division? but how many people really want to see rousey smash her face in? five years is a fucking LONG time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2014 11:06pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure Rousey got into MMA because of Carano...it almost feels like it'd be more of an advanced sparing session vice tittle fight....but that didn't really work out for Rocky and Apollo did it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2014 3:47am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who doesn't love Gina Carano? And from a marketing (i.e. financial) point of view a Gina-Ronda match-up will bring in a ton of money.

That said, my girl Ronda will turn her into purée without breaking a sweat.

Poor Gina.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/14/2014 8:11am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carano is exactly what the UFC wants for Rousey. Zero threat to Rousey's title, but a recognizable name and a pretty face. Beer swilling rednecks will eat that **** up. It will have huge PPV sales. The UFC will call it THE BIGGEST FIGHT EVARRR in the women's division. Dumb fucking fans will nod their heads in agreement like mindless robots.

Meanwhile, it puts six more months between Rousey and Cyborg. The UFC gets to keep stalling with Cyborg, waiting for her to get older and less dangerous and/or lose a fight with another promotion so they can say "Ah hah! We told you she wasn't relevant!" That's the way they do business. I call it the Fedor Model.

Posted On:
    7/14/2014 9:14am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why wouldn't Zuffa make that fight? The only people that care about Cyborg are hardcore MMA fans. Their PPV numbers are in the toilet right now, a fight between two "movie stars" is going to make them serious cash.

I predict a respectful round 1 armbar rather than the 14 second beatdown she probably could deliver.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2014 9:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I agree with the above, when I look at Rousey and Cyborg , I really do see a significant physical difference. Cyborg is a manly jacked 145lbs that walks around at (155-160?), and Rousey is a very solid 135lbs and walks around, according to Dana, about five lbs from fight weight...I'd say Prob ten. People argue she fought at 154 in judo...but that's a different kind of weight class stricture, where you want some heft to keep a low center of gravity. Or maybe I'm crazy? I still would like to see the fight, though. I think it would be a quick fight, depending if Rousey gets rocked right away and goes down, or if Rousey can get control early on and submit or G&P. Maybe Rousey has a better chin than people expect and she could finish the fight while taking a beating, unable to get control, but I think the above scenario is most likely.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/14/2014 9:26am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Why wouldn't Zuffa make that fight? The only people that care about Cyborg are hardcore MMA fans. Their PPV numbers are in the toilet right now, a fight between two "movie stars" is going to make them serious cash.

I predict a respectful round 1 armbar rather than the 14 second beatdown she probably could deliver.
    Exactly my point. It's good for business.

My problem with it is that I want to see the best fighters fight. I know that's a crazy fucking notion and all, but I'm just kind of nutty like that. I want to see the closest thing we can get to Ali-Frazier in women's MMA. That means Rousey vs. Cyborg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2014 3:04pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's a business first organization....not for the fighters or hardcore fight fans. Dana caters to the largest fan base, which is casual...as evidenced by news articles proclaiming how talented Rousey is at "judo flips."
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast