Sponsored Links Spacer Image

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    That would be me; I no can defend. I would like to see everything that led up to this, but cannot think of anything that would justify it as presented.
    The eyewitness (same guy who recorded it) said the lady basically made the cop feel and look silly by causing him to chase her around cars in traffic in circles, Yackety Sax style. People were laughing at him. Uh oh...

The worst thing you can do to a hotheaded police officer, imho, must be to embarrass them in public, because unlike any other type of person, they can actually do something about it and largely get away scot-free if it's your word vs the police report.

Unless of course someone with a camera happens to be nearby, then you get Rodney King's beating, or this. Dashcams are the best thing to happen to law enforcement ever because not only does it help keep LEF in check (something that is a good idea in a free society), it helps preserve and support the actual version of events, as opposed to one version or another.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/08/2014 10:29am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 11:31am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I read the comments here before I watched the video. I was expecting a worse beating. Comparing this to Rodney King is pretty stupid. It's not even close.

Do I think that level of violence was absolutely necessary? No. But the video loses the subjects during part of the video which leaves the door open for some questions. Also, she was clearly putting up some level of resistance. It doesn't look good for the cop but it's certainly not a group nightstick beating like Rodney King.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The eyewitness (same guy who recorded it) said the lady basically made the cop feel and look silly by causing him to chase her around cars in traffic in circles, Yackety Sax style. People were laughing at him. Uh oh...

The worst thing you can do to a hotheaded police officer, imho, must be to embarrass them in public, because unlike any other type of person, they can actually do something about it and largely get away scot-free if it's your word vs the police report.

Unless of course someone with a camera happens to be nearby, then you get Rodney King's beating, or this. Dashcams are the best thing to happen to law enforcement ever because not only does it help keep LEF in check (something that is a good idea in a free society), it helps preserve and support the actual version of events, as opposed to one version or another.
    There you have it: she committed the (legal) offense of 'Contempt Of Cop'. This had nothing to do with her ethnicity, she pissed him off and he snapped. I have people (some are the officers I supervise) trying to clown me all the time. I have managed to use only my ink pen to beat them down, costing THEM (not me) time and money defending their stupidity. Stupidity cannot be cured, only documented.

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 1:25pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh I don't know why I would have to justify...explain...or feel guilty about what some cop on the other side of the nation did.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 1:48pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Eh I don't know why I would have to justify...explain...or feel guilty about what some cop on the other side of the nation did.
    Racist!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 2:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL. Irony.

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    LOL. Irony.
    Well...when it comes to policy, procedure, tactics that's one thing. Trying to explain (or having to "answer for" ) why some cop is punching someone is entirely another. I can "justify" various "tactical decisions" all day long. How I'm expected to explain a persons individual decision is another matter.

I could "make up" several examples explaining how that vid was entirety justified...could be that this was entirely excessive and the guy needs to be fired.
    Last edited by tgace; 7/08/2014 2:17pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 2:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I can get all of the threads where you asked for opinions about a subject and people answered with out emotion. He asked if you (LEOs) could explain, he didn't ask if you felt guilty or that you needed to justify a position.

Heck, I said irony because you've actually done all three, two since guilt would be replaced with justification in those cases, when you saw something you felt was defensible. So, I thought it was ironic, in this case you, didn't do any of them and used sarcasm.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/08/2014 2:33pm at .

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 2:56pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotcha...well in that case I guess all I can say is "I don't know".

When it comes down to policy/training, some PDs place emptyhand techniques below Taser and OC...I find the news stories portryal of lumps and bruises as "serious injuries" a bit much, but coming from a lawyer I know why he/she did it.

The only accurate answer that can be given will start with if the officer HAD to apprehend this woman WHEN he did. Was she really going to be a danger to herself or others at the moment he decided to act? I dunno.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...when it comes to policy, procedure, tactics that's one thing. Trying to explain (or having to "answer for" ) why some cop is punching someone is entirely another. I can "justify" various "tactical decisions" all day long.
    Understandable. So in your opinion as LEF officer, aren't there a whole range of training options for dealing with resisting subjects that don't result in an aggressive GNP situation on top of a grandmother of 50+ years?

If a cop starts beating you up, you have a right to defend yourself at some point (which she appears to do, by trying to stop him from punching her in the face). The law may disagree, but nature says differently.

I have to say, that, uniformed or not, a cop puts himself at risk in a situation like this. I can tell you that if this happened in some of the towns near me, that cop would have been pulled off that woman and beaten senseless himself or worse. Not that I would condone that sort of "mob justice", but I think cops that act like this actually put themselves and other cops at risk...of attack or legal repercussion.

Doesn't an officer (with no backup) need to display some level of control of a situation so that others nearby will understand what's going on is a lawful arrest, and not a vicious beating?
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/08/2014 3:03pm at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast