Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/05/2014 11:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Preparing for Judo

This fall I'm going back to uni to study medical. Anyway, the university offers Judo, which I'm taking. I've always had a huge interest, but never trained in it. I have prior MA experience, but not in grappling. I'd like to get a head start before the semester. Any advice on how to prepare would be much appreciated. What exercises are good to get into "Judo shape"? What things should I research before going in? Those kinds of things. Thanks!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/06/2014 5:13am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can look up exercises such as Bear Walking, Gator Walking, and Shrimping. Combine this will regular exercise such as running, push ups, situps, squats and lunges. They will teach you breakfalls on the first day and I wouldn't recommend you try them without an instructor. You are going to sore after Day 1 regardless.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/06/2014 5:44am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can drop into a low squat with your heals on the ground and sit there comfortably for a few minutes I think it will help a lot with the mobility you need for judo. Also you should make sure that you can lift stuff without bending your lower back - the amount of repetitions you go through in a class can be quite high, so if you have a tendency to round your back on lifts, you're going to have a bad time when training throws.

If you have a decent squat and your mobility is good, you could look at training some of the more explosive lifts like cleans or high pulls.

Posted On:
    7/06/2014 9:59am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hindu squats, hindu (divebomber/judo) pushups, neck bridges.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2014 6:01pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What CrackFox says. Squats. Lots of squats. I neglected this early in my grappling training, and things just got much easier when I started working squats and getting comfortable in that bottom position.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/07/2014 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Djinn View Post
    This fall I'm going back to uni to study medical. Anyway, the university offers Judo, which I'm taking. I've always had a huge interest, but never trained in it. I have prior MA experience, but not in grappling. I'd like to get a head start before the semester. Any advice on how to prepare would be much appreciated. What exercises are good to get into "Judo shape"? What things should I research before going in? Those kinds of things. Thanks!
    You think you will have time for Judo while going to medical school ?

Good luck with that, seriously !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/07/2014 9:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're not already, I'd start doing some daily cardio, to get used to a heavy workout. If you can't jog for at least 5-10m without collapsing, you'll have a rough time with the basic judo warmup, which imo will make it more difficult for you to focus on learning for the first few weeks. You'll be busy trying not to pass out or puke.

Extra weight might help you in osaekomi-waza, but it can hold you back just about everywhere else, particularly your long-term endurance level, so if you drop a pound or three it might pay off.

Learn this pushup, like Neil said. Next to some Chinese endurance exercises I do, I think this is my second favorite of all, a regular part of my BJJ training now because It Works.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/07/2014 9:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2014 10:47am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit up Costco or Sams Club to get some bulk painkillers.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/13/2014 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    work on flexibility, we had a middle aged overweight guy come in and on his first day, just moving around in randori, he had some sort of minor tear in his calf (he felt a pop, and it hurt, but he could still walk.)

haven't seen him since.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    7/15/2014 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While the above are all good suggestions for stuff that will help with Judo related fitness and Ben's point about having the time is also a good one.

I'm not sure I would recommend any specific exercise to someone starting Judo.

I would see if they had any basic level of fitness i.e do they go for a run once a week, go to the gym etc...?

If not I'd probably recommend doing some basic stretching as Ming said and just gearing up in terms of fitness i.e half an hour on the cross trainer.

If they did do some basic fitness then I wouldn't recommend doing any specific preparatory stuff as the best way to get Judo fit, as a beginner, is just by doing Judo.