Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last
  1. #31
    blackmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,133
    Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I figured.

  2. #32
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,040
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    That's what I figured.
    Perfection is yours !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  3. #33
    blackmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,133
    Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Perfection is yours !
    ****, I wish it were that easy.

    Video probably coming tomorrow. I've got two sessions.

  4. #34
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,040
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    ****, I wish it were that easy.

    Video probably coming tomorrow. I've got two sessions.
    Looking forward to seeing some video. You are a shining example to the rest of the people here who ask questions about specific techniques they are working on, yet somehow can't be bothered to record some video on a fucking smart phone and upload it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  5. #35
    blackmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,133
    Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!


    This is literally reps 95-100 from my 1st practice today, so I'm surprised they don't look too bad.

    I just focused on breaking uke's posture, entering quickly-ish, and keeping a neutral back and neck position. Toward the end, I started to get good chest-to-hip contact, also, which caused the throw to require much less effort.

  6. #36
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,040
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post


    This is literally reps 95-100 from my 1st practice today, so I'm surprised they don't look too bad.

    I just focused on breaking uke's posture, entering quickly-ish, and keeping a neutral back and neck position. Toward the end, I started to get good chest-to-hip contact, also, which caused the throw to require much less effort.
    I just have a quick moment to look at the video while at work for now.

    Uke is off balance nicely (nothing like a good uke). That may not happen exactly in contest or randori, of course.

    Your entry is kind of mushy, is the word that comes to mind. Good contact with upper body and your posture is good. Head position is good, up, not looking down.

    You could get tighter contact by drawing your hikite more closely to your body as and after you enter.

    The finish.....try turning your head and shoulders to your right as you reap. That may cause you to land on uke, or at least stretch out more in your throwing action. Landing on uke depends on your own level of body control. If you stretch your left leg as you twist, it might help.

    You are throwing with a lot of upper body "power"...what I suggest above may help with that. Nothing wrong with power and well applied force, however, I think you can multiply that by some tweaks in your body mechanics.

    OK, I have to hit work again. I'm sure I missed a lot, others will chime in I'm sure.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  7. #37
    blackmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,133
    Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although I can't precisely describe mushiness, I think that may just be from fatigue.

  8. #38
    blackmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,133
    Style
    belt and jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had a problem for the last 2 years or so with being sluggish in competition, though, so I filmed myself doing some rounds with a friend of mine from Russia. He began training sambo when he was 8 years old, and he was a junior national champion in judo here in the US. Very good player, but he too has a problem with coasting in competition, and sometimes being too passive.

    Here's me hitting a non-sluggish makikomi against him earlier tonight, although it isn't necessarily germane to the topic of osoto gari itself.


  9. #39
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,040
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Although I can't precisely describe mushiness, I think that may just be from fatigue.
    No doubt fatigue played a role, that was just my quick impression. It might be good to see you applying the technique while fresh, in dynamic situation. Crash pad nage komi are often kind of staged looking due to the spacing issues.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  10. #40
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,040
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I have had a problem for the last 2 years or so with being sluggish in competition, though, so I filmed myself doing some rounds with a friend of mine from Russia. He began training sambo when he was 8 years old, and he was a junior national champion in judo here in the US. Very good player, but he too has a problem with coasting in competition, and sometimes being too passive.

    Here's me hitting a non-sluggish makikomi against him earlier tonight, although it isn't necessarily germane to the topic of osoto gari itself.

    Definitely not so sluggish that time

    I'd say with the power grip you put on him just about anything would have worked !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO