Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2014 12:17am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    Gonna have to find someone to start kicking me down soon, have to get used to it I guess.

I do this with my fighters when they are prepping for MMA, kickboxing, or knockdown events. We get together and do "brutal hour" conditioning. Everyone spends 5 minute rounds trading shots to the legs and abdomen, then they switch partners. It is one of those times when it just sucks, but you get through it. Start with ~10 minutes of this:moving down the floor kicking your partners legs, then they do they same on the return trip. Go nonstop for the 10 minutes. Make sure they kick all up and down the leg, not just a single spot. It would suck to get one spot conditioned well, then get to the tourney and get kicked somewhere else. Make sure to condition the inside of the legs as well, but be careful. The inside leg muscles don't take to hard conditioning very well. Be light for some time with the inside of the legs.

After the 10 minutes of leg conditioning, do sets of 50-100 body weight squats. It will get you used to moving after getting your legs beat on. Then you can repeat the process.

Abs are done similar, but we switch who is striking every 30 seconds and we only go for 2-3 minutes at a time. These are mixed with situps and trunk twists.

Keep us in the loop on how it is going.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2014 4:37pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused too. Is this semi-contact or is it knockdown, which for some reason is being done with gloves?

If this is semi-contact, I guess you're just getting points for touches, so yeah, keep moving or something. Whatever.

Maybe the best way to settle this is with a single question: Do you want to knock your opponent out?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2014 10:11pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    I'm confused too. Is this semi-contact or is it knockdown, which for some reason is being done with gloves?

If this is semi-contact, I guess you're just getting points for touches, so yeah, keep moving or something. Whatever.

Maybe the best way to settle this is with a single question: Do you want to knock your opponent out?
    I want to knock them... down?
    I wouldn't worry about conditioning my legs if it was point sparring..
    Semi-contact is just kyokushin with gear

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 8:24pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    I want to knock them... down?
    I wouldn't worry about conditioning my legs if it was point sparring..
    Semi-contact is just kyokushin with gear
    I think of dipped-foam point sparring when somebody says "semi contact." Kyokushin with gear is just knockdown. I'd call that hard contact.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12