Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. #51
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,845
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Rabbit, you take yourself way too seriously. You're not the fucking Highlander.
    No, if I was anybody I'd be Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez, complete with hat and katana.

    Now get off my cloud, Mr. Empty Style Field. It seats only one.

    Last edited by Ice Hole; 6/30/2014 9:34pm at .

  2. #52
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,784
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    So, you don't really know how long you can roll at 50%? Or you think it's a stupid question because you can't understand it?

    Then clearly you have no idea how long you could roll at 100%.
    No it doesn't work because 50% with my instructor is different than 50% with a Purple belt which is different then 50% with a white belt which is different then 50% with a brand new student.

    However to give you a better idea of what your asking.
    An ADCC round last 6 Minutes at trials for qualifying and 8 mins for finals.
    a NAGA round is 4 minutes for my division.
    The vast majority of the time I am training we are doing 10 min rounds as I tend to train with competition teams at what ever school I am at as they tend to be what meet during the day.
    I am pretty much stuck with Day classes these days.
    So there you have it I can do multiple 10 minute rounds at just shy of competition intensity.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  3. #53
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,845
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    No it doesn't work because 50% with my instructor is different than 50% with a Purple belt which is different then 50% with a white belt which is different then 50% with a brand new student.
    How about 50% against the Kurgan, who will take your head and rape your woman if you fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    However to give you a better idea of what your asking.
    An ADCC round last 6 Minutes at trials for qualifying and 8 mins for finals.
    a NAGA round is 4 minutes for my division.
    The vast majority of the time I am training we are doing 10 min rounds as I tend to train with competition teams at what ever school I am at as they tend to be what meet during the day.
    I am pretty much stuck with Day classes these days.
    So there you have it I can do multiple 10 minute rounds at just shy of competition intensity.
    You felt the stag! The Quickening!

    Now, just reduce the level of energy you waste defending yourself, and you will understand where Sun Tzu, Jigoro Kano, and Helio Gracie are all coming from.

    Then you will understand the truth of martial science, and can collect the Prize.


  4. #54
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I don't think there has to be games for it to be fun, although for children it can be a good way to break up the training session.
    I enjoy Grappling for the sake of grappling, the challenge and all that.
    I do take it seriously but their are components to it that simply are more fun than other components.
    I dislike drilling and line drills, I do them because they help me with the fun bits.
    I dislike sitting there defending myself till someone wears themselves out. I do it because sometimes that is what I am stuck with and its better than being beaten up for 10 mins straight.
    I love when I set up for a certain type of reaction and I get it. I love when the rolling just flows and is none stop. I dislike sitting inside of someones guard all day waiting for them to wait for me to wear myself out.
    At the end of the day though its because I love grappling why I train in BJJ at all every chance I get to train. Which unfortunately is not nearly as often as I would like to these days.
    Not only do I like the actual act of training in grappling, I also enjoy watching it, and saying stupid **** about it on here. I also enjoy the people I meet doing it.
    Nice post, especially the part about sitting inside guard waiting for them to wait for me to wear myself out.

    The saying stupid **** here or elsewhere is one of my favorite parts too !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #55
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    No it doesn't work because 50% with my instructor is different than 50% with a Purple belt which is different then 50% with a white belt which is different then 50% with a brand new student.

    However to give you a better idea of what your asking.
    An ADCC round last 6 Minutes at trials for qualifying and 8 mins for finals.
    a NAGA round is 4 minutes for my division.
    The vast majority of the time I am training we are doing 10 min rounds as I tend to train with competition teams at what ever school I am at as they tend to be what meet during the day.
    I am pretty much stuck with Day classes these days.
    So there you have it I can do multiple 10 minute rounds at just shy of competition intensity.
    Very true on the levels of intensity. I was rolling with an older blue belt, who only wanted to go "50%". So I did, and he was like, "You call that 50%" it was more like 150% for him. I was very relaxed but moving very quickly, which is pretty normal for me. Then I rolled with a very very good and 20 year younger purple belt, for whom my 50% was glacial in comparison.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #56
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,845
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glacial

    Bravo.

    You guys inspire me every day.

    When I control the universe someday using Gracie Theory and the secrets of ki to, all my future victories sung and unsung will bear your names.

    Last edited by Ice Hole; 7/01/2014 2:28pm at .

  7. #57
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Glacial

    Bravo.

    You guys inspire me every day.

    When I control the universe someday using Gracie Theory and the secrets of ki to, all my future victories sung and unsung will bear your names.

    We all await video of your first BJJ competition.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #58
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,845
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    We all await video of your first BJJ competition.
    Careful what you wish for.

    In the meantime, come to New Jersey and play with me!

    All talk is cheap.

  9. #59
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Careful what you wish for.

    In the meantime, come to New Jersey and play with me!

    All talk is cheap.
    If I'm ever in the New Jersey area I'll be glad to do some BJJ/Judo with you. Maybe some east coast bullies can meet up with you, that is more likely to happen !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #60
    Ice Hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,845
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    If I'm ever in the New Jersey area I'll be glad to do some BJJ/Judo with you. Maybe some east coast bullies can meet up with you, that is more likely to happen !
    I'd come to Idaho, but I have no need of potatoes.

    There are bullies I can roll with, but you'd be somebody I could really learn from. I can feel your caliber through the screen.

    On competition, If it's kuoshu for me I'm gonna bribe Ming to be my cornerman. If it's BJJ, I'll bribe XXIV.

    I'm pretty sure bribes are also a big part of Gracie Theory. I read a thread once about how the Gracie's bribed all of Royce's early competitors.

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in