Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be sure to check it out on Monday. My employment schedule is still in flux though, so I might not be able to commit until later in the week.

Style
    Jeet Kune Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    IMHO, I would try Kyokushin, if only because practitioners of this system will actually punch you in the chest instead of kicking the air in front of you.
    I'll second this. I'll always have a soft spot for Kyokushin. I will say though that having trained with some serious TKD competitors years ago, that their kicks are deadly. They are somewhat limited in their striking though. I think it may mean more time than you're prepared to devote to making it really effective.

Style
    Seidokaikan
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all you should be doing Kyokushin, although I don't know if you'd get to spar if you're only around for two months. If you can, it's worth it. If not, you're probably going to get bored learning Kyokushin basics.

By the same token, TKD can teach you a lot of bullshit tricks that you can use to bewilder your opponents (said bullshit tricks kept me on my feet when I did knockdown in Japan), but you aren't going to learn many of those in only two months either, especially not two months as a white belt.

Visit both places and be up-front about your background and goals. You may find that the instructors are pretty helpful. If one isn't and one is, there's your choice mad for you. If they're both jerks, lift weights and do roadwork for two months.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Kyokushin place I am looking at apparently throws people into sparring on day one if the review on this site is anything to go one (Ito Dojo in Beaverton Oregon). I also might be getting a job within walking distance of that place, which could be very nice.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Better than sitting on the coach? Yes
    Sitting on the couch is so anti-martial arts yet we all do it. And I mean everyone, kung fu fanboys and MMA nutriders alike, especially when UFC is on the tube (or a decent documentary)

Do you ever catch yourself doing it and instantly decide to punish yourself with pushups and leg circles?

If not, get started couch potatoes.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/29/2014 7:08pm at .

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Do you ever catch yourself doing it and instantly decide to punish yourself with pushups and leg circles?
    Well not specifically leg circles, but yes all the damn time. Not as much as I should mind you.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Mixed
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should really do more leg circles.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You should really do more leg circles.
    I do get up and shrimp across the floor every now and again does that count for anything?
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I poked my head into the TKD place on my way to the bank, and surprise surprise it actually looked to be half decent. The head instructor is a former Korean national TKD champion and the other instructor who is there also holds that title. When I mentioned my past MT experience and mentioned my interest in improving my kicking (I still have shitty hip flexibility) he immediately pointed me towards the saturday sparring class and said that he thought I could get something out of it.

I'll probably poke my head into the Kyokushin place later this week, and I'll pick a place as soon as my job situation stabilizes (hopefully within the next few days).

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    The head instructor is a former Korean national TKD champion and the other instructor who is there also holds that title.
    All of them are lol. Every TKD school I have ever trained at (at least the ones with Korean instructors) has a current / former Korean national champion of some sort. Reminds me of the In Living Color skit with Jim Carrey.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last