Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is TKD better than nothing

I am currently in a position where I can't make it to my normal gym (I have to go across town, and now that I have a job I can no longer make it there). However, there is a generic TKD place within easy walking distance of my house that looks pretty cheap. I know what the general opinion of such places is around here, but I thought it might be worth a shot for the two months I have left here for two reasons: I have a ton of trouble with high kicks, and I only know how to throw the thai roundhouse/leg kicks and the teep. I figured that maybe if I took the Bruce Lee philosophy of "take what works and leave everything else" I could probably improve my balance when kicking and learn a few other useful kicks such as the side kick and the spinning heel kick. Is this a good idea? Or would I be better served by spending that time lifting weights?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That all depends on what you expect from TKD. If you want to be flexible and participate in a fun sport, you won't be disappointed. If you want to use it to defend yourself, it may be lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had some time with a TKD demonstration team of Korean nationals. They had a lot of time in their chosen martial art, and had been in the Korean army, also. One of them was a body guard. They would be tough to beat in a fight.

Others in the group were more performance artists. They would not be tough to beat in a fight.

With that background, what you get from the program might depend upon what you put into it, the quality of your instructors, and your own abilities. You definitely will get some exercise in the program.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to improve my flexibility and learn a few new kicks before I head off to Munich for the next year where I will be going to a standard MT/BJJ based MMA gym.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I just want to improve my flexibility and learn a few new kicks before I head off to Munich for the next year where I will be going to a standard MT/BJJ based MMA gym.
    You will probably enjoy TKD then. I had a blast with it for seven years.

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wrestling takedowns improved after a summer of taking hapkido. Maybe all the high kicks and balance helped.

I also would not look down on an opportunity to put everything into weight lifting for a few months.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better than sitting on the coach? Yes

Better than lifting weights? hard to say.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just remembered that there is a well-reputed Kyokushin dojo less than a mile from my house. I should probably go there shouldn't I.

Style
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just remembered that there is a well-reputed Kyokushin dojo less than a mile from my house. I should probably go there shouldn't I.
    IMHO, I would try Kyokushin, if only because practitioners of this system will actually punch you in the chest instead of kicking the air in front of you.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would go with Kyokushin over weight lifting.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last