Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    He could do a lot worse than to get legitimate training anywhere, rather than claiming to be a weapons expert after attending one seminar.
    I'm not addressing his proficiency as a weapons expert, rather his evident desire to practice and teach an African disaporic machete fighting style.

Afrikanist martial arts are an offshoot of the Afrikanist cultural movement - broadly the same milieu that produced the Nation of Islam, etc. - arising particularly out of the massive popularity of kung fu movies within urban African American communities during the 1970s. At that time, culturally and historically "legitimate" African/African-diasporic martial arts weren't widely known, leading some would-be practitioners to essentially invent their own systems. The results were sometimes disparagingly dubbed "kinte cloth karate", "kinte cloth kung-fu", etc.

Over the past 15-20 years, "legit" A/A-D martial arts have become more widely known - capoeira was the first, for most practical purposes - and some American practitioners have sought out and trained with instructors in these styles, eventually importing them back to the USA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 4:26pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I'm not addressing his proficiency as a weapons expert, rather his evident desire to practice and teach an African disaporic machete fighting style.
    This is the Martial Arts BS, Fraud, Investigations, and Skepticism forum.

What he should have done in terms of African arts, etc. and the sociological reasons behind why he is calling his art, are separate issues, and though perhaps worthy of discussion, should probably be done in another forum. If you want to start a thread on that somewhere else, be my guest.

What I do care about, and the reason I started the thread in the forum that I did, are the issues I have noted above. In addition to those is the fact that his lack of legitimate knowledge and skill, under the guise of calling himself a weapons expert, has the potential to get someone hurt, or even killed.

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 4:41pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A self proclaimed 10th degree and claiming to be a weapons expert with only one seminar of weapons training are certainly bs worthy. Now, ddlr, can you link the Tom Green essay you're referencing? Sounds like a good read.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've initiated and participated in a number of MABS threads over the years, whose main point of interest were potential cultural, historical and/or sociological BS in the martial arts world. You've addressed that angle in your prior posts in this thread. If you don't want to focus on that any more, fine with me - I've made the points I wanted to make.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 4:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    A self proclaimed 10th degree and claiming to be a weapons expert with only one seminar of weapons training are certainly bs worthy. Now, ddlr, can you link the Tom Green essay you're referencing? Sounds like a good read.
    The essay (titled "Freeing the Afrikan Mind") comprises one chapter of the book "Martial Arts in the Modern World" and you can read excerpts using Amazon's "Search Inside" function - http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Modern.../dp/0275981533 .

Tom also produced a revised and significantly updated version of the essay (titled "Afrikan Martial Arts") for volume 2 of the "Martial Arts of the World" encyclopedia set -http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-World-volumes-Encyclopedia/dp/1598842439 .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123