225098 Bullies, 3601 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. 1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chael Sonnen Retires from MMA in Fallout of Failed Drug Test

Following a failed out-of-competition drug test that revealed banned substances in his system, UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen announced on Wednesday that he is retiring from professional mixed martial arts. The fighter made the announcement on UFC Tonight during his weekly role as the FOX Sports 1 program’s co-host.
    “I want to stay within the rules, and I don’t fully understand them, and I have to put my health first. I have to put my family first,” Sonnen said.
    “There’s going to be a day where I no longer have the title of fighter,” he added, “but I don’t ever want there to be a day where I don’t have the ability to have the title as parent and father and husband, and my health has got to come first.”
    As reported by MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday, Sonnen tested positive for anastrozole and clomiphene, both of which can be used to treat symptoms related to hypogonadism.
    Sonnen was randomly tested by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) in May while he was in Las Vegas promoting the upcoming UFC 175 fight card. The results of the test prompted UFC officials to pull Sonnen from the card.

• [hr][/hr][hr][/hr]

Following news of the results of withdrawal from the card, Sonnen defended his position in saying that these drugs were taken as a result of coming off testosterone-replacement therapy, which the fighter said he utilized to treat hypogonadism. Sonnen had a therapeutic use exemption for such a treatment prior to it being banned by the NSAC.
    Sonnen said Wednesday that he is, as all athletes are, responsible for the substances put in his body.
    “I do admit fault,” he said. “I want to make sure I take full responsibility.”
    Sonnen completes his professional career with a record of 28-14-1.

(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)

http://www.mmaweekly.com/chael-sonne...iled-drug-test

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 8:11am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent. Maybe now we won't have to listen to his bullshit.

Probably too much to hope for though, as he'll probably be given a speaking part in an MMA show or something, possibly even for the UFC, which would actually be a lot more enjoyable viewing than his fight career. Sonnen is intelligent and speaks better than he fights, so dropping his fight career could be the best career move for him in the end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:18am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fun fact: he actually had a promising political career before he ended up in jail for money laundering! Of course he's a master spin doctor.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jailtime? Are you sure? I remember it was a 10k fine ONLY.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This brings to light a big problem with MMA training that needs to be researched. Too many fighters lately are suffering from conditions that cause low testosterone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:52am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Jailtime? Are you sure? I remember it was a 10k fine ONLY.
    Oh. You might be right. Either way, being a convicted felon completely killed his political career. It's pretty easy to see how his one true calling is "slimeball politician".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 2:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So who is gonna fight Vitor now?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 2:52pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post

Probably too much to hope for though, as he'll probably be given a speaking part in an MMA show or something, possibly even for the UFC, which would actually be a lot more enjoyable viewing than his fight career. Sonnen is intelligent and speaks better than he fights, so dropping his fight career could be the best career move for him in the end.
    I actually enjoy when hes given a speaking position on these Fox after shows and whatnot. Its when hes trying to hype his own fight career that all the stupid attention seeking bullshit comes out.

Unfortunately, the attention Sonnen (and others) get from the press for acting like a dipshit has created a precedent that a lot of other fighters have started to follow.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post

He's been a cohost of UFC Tonight for over a year now and he does a lot of commentary for fox on fight nights. Guess we'll get more of him talking now.
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2014 6:19am

Style: Maenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana said several days ago that he can see Sonnen as his successor.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast