Page 2 of 2 First 12

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    How do you not cripple people in sparring?
    Control is a pretty big part of it, but I tend to throw mine with the flat of the foot while sparring. It is still pretty rough on your sparring partners, but exponentially better than the heal making contact. I spent several years working it against a bag and the air prior to using it while sparring. It sucked to work it so much and not use it right away, but it payed off in the long run.

McClaw:
    As far as set-up for the lead leg goes, I use jabs and "gimpy" backfists to get my hips into position, after working my opponent towards a corner. It makes it higher percentage, but it is still not super high. I have also used it directly after a clinch, but this faded once my spinning hook and axe kick came along. More often than not, the lead hood should be used as a defensive kick, IMO. If you have the speed and flexibility to work it that way. It works well in a knockdown karate situation. Kickboxing, less so, as opponents tend to have lazy hands in KD tourneys.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a ridiculously hard time with this kick since returning to tkd but I feel its mostly flexibility issues

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, haven't posted on here in a while, but I love the spinning hook kick (yeah, Korean style, you know how we do,) so I felt like I could give some tips.

As for the question of 360 or 180 degree turn, I think of this kick as almost a hybrid of the two, though both are viable. The way I teach it to junior belts is to turn around, lean back to fire the kick, and then use its momentum for your follow-through for the full spin. That way you end up using a full spin and get the associated power, but most of your action is used to simply turn yourself the 180 and kick. The 180 and then stop is a great way to switch up your stance, as you've probably already seen. Fun way to throw people off.

For set-ups, the jab->spin hook is definitely a mainstay, but there's some other solid ones that I enjoy. One of my faves is actually off of a low round kick from either foot, though usually the back. If you fire a low round from your back leg to your partner's inner thigh and then follow with a spinning hook from the other leg, the first kick discreetly puts your foot into position for the spin, threatens low which tends to open up mid or high targets of course, and gives you two steps of variable length to push your partner around. It's a good way to back them into the corner/wall.

Another set-up I like is to simply throw out any of these combos while circling. A big one is to circle in the same direction as the leg you have back (so right if your right leg is back natch,) throw out a jab or two to disguise the start of the spin as you step across, and then throw the kick. This is a great time to use the full 360 spin, too, because you can make a fairly large step to start up your momentum.

Where's your target for this kick? Head kicks are great here, of course, but I'm actually a pretty big fan of throwing this at the big bones in the arm or leg. Nobody sees this coming for their legs and a heel right in the split between quad and hamstring is nasty. Usually it's a dead leg. Putting it in the shoulder isn't a lot of fun for your partner either. Control is key, natch.

That follow with the body kick is pretty great, yeah. What kick do you usually fire? Front? They're all good. One cool thing I've found is that like you say, people generally get the hell out of the way when you fire the spinning hook kick, and that can set you up for some of the bigger kicks you don't always get to throw with pressure. Stepping/skipping side kicks are fun, as are back kicks, whether spinning or not.

Question for you guys: how do you approach partners who try to rush into the kick and crowd you, either before or immediately after? This is one of my favorite tactics to apply against spinning kicks, and when it gets done to me, I generally just start swinging hand techniques to variable effect. Because I dislike this lack of control so much I've actually cut down on my spinning kicks a bit.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'll chip in, here, being another Korean art practitioner. We like our kicks, as you may have heard.

For conditioning, I would suggest working on the obliques and hamstrings. It sounds like you're already doing some good stuff, especially as you seem to be throwing the kick itself a lot, but I would definitely concentrate on those areas if you're planning on doing some technique-specific workouts. Oblique jackknives are fantastic, as are woodchoppers, and good old leg curls work well for the hamstring, natch. Flexibility-wise I would recommend side lunges.

As to 180 or 360 degree spins, I think of it almost as a hybrid. The way I teach it to junior belts is to rapidly turn 180 degrees, lean over and fire the kick, and then use the momentum of the leg snap to finish the spin. That way you get the full power of a big spin with the better balance and less work of the smaller spin. Personally I also like having the same stance before and after the kick, though the 180 is pretty great for switching your stance if you want to do that.

Setup-wise, the jab->spin hook is definitely the mainstay, but I'm also a big fan of this kick after a low kick from either leg, though primarily the back leg. That is most definitely a great way to get somebody to back the hell up, too, so works wonders for pushing someone up against the wall or corner. This kick is also great when circling, cuz you can disguise the setup with a step, especially when you combine it with a punch.

I like that body kick afterwards. What kick are you using mainly? Front? Round? I find another nice thing about this kick is because of the distance that it usually creates, you can fire some of the bigger motions off, like step behind/skipping side kick or spinning back kick.

I love to rush up and crowd people who fire spinning kicks in the (generally successful) attempt to take their back. What do you guys do to counter this?

Page 2 of 2 First 12