MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/10/2014 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Let's talk about body armor

Ok, so I try not to get played too hard by the sensationalist nature of journalism, but goddamn. Their seems to be a definite rising trend in shooting random strangers.
    So, let's say this trend continues to the point where I feel some random asshole shooting me at the post office because Debrah wouldn't go to prom with him becomes a real and present danger.
    While my chainmail is stylish and comes in handy when I get into knife fights with the homeless, I may want to upgrade to something more modern.
    Recommendations? I realize that kevlar doesn't make bullets bounce off your body like superman, but I also understand it's handy in prevention pistol rounds from shredding my internal organs.
    I've looked around on Ebay, and I've found low-end vests for about 300 bucks. As I understand it, those generally won't stop a rifle round, but will keep a handgun round outside of my spinal cord. And handguns seem to be the weapon of choice for most murderers hereabouts.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/10/2014 7:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Ok, so I try not to get played too hard by the sensationalist nature of journalism, but goddamn. Their seems to be a definite rising trend in shooting random strangers.
    So, let's say this trend continues to the point where I feel some random asshole shooting me at the post office because Debrah wouldn't go to prom with him becomes a real and present danger.
    While my chainmail is stylish and comes in handy when I get into knife fights with the homeless, I may want to upgrade to something more modern.
    Recommendations? I realize that kevlar doesn't make bullets bounce off your body like superman, but I also understand it's handy in prevention pistol rounds from shredding my internal organs.
    I've looked around on Ebay, and I've found low-end vests for about 300 bucks. As I understand it, those generally won't stop a rifle round, but will keep a handgun round outside of my spinal cord. And handguns seem to be the weapon of choice for most murderers hereabouts.
    To early to know if it's a trend or not.

In any case, body armor comes in different levels as to the protection offered. I suggest you do some research along those lines.

Also, ballistic vests don't necessarily give protection from knife attacks. "Stab vests" are usually sold as separate items for use in say, corrections facilities.

The various LEOs who post here will attest I'm sure as to how comfortable and cool all are to wear as a matter of course on a day in day out basis.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/11/2014 3:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a vest, I never wear the damn thing, and I am sure it has expired by now. Does work well for some Halloween customs and scarring the hell out of my neighbors.

I know a lot of LEO who don't wear their vest because cheap ones SUCK ASS.

They are heavy, uncomfortable, restrict movement, and hot. Although probably not to the same extent as your chain mail?

Statistically speaking its very unnecessary.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Posted On:
    6/17/2014 7:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on how much you want to spend, here is a review of three good options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5hJORcbkQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1FgutJeyr8
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    6/17/2014 7:42pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2014 12:21pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 2 different vests that are my regular use. My lighter vest is Kevlar and is fantastically light, but I think that if I take a round while wearing it, I might just wish I was dead. It is rated a level III, but I am thinking that the company is over-reaching with that classification. My heavier vest, and heavier is being generous, is a level III/IV and will stop just about anything that the average person might be getting shot with. this vest(plate carrier and plates) weighs in around 37 pounds. I don't really want to take rounds at all, but would prefer to be wearing this vest if that happens. It does take some getting used to wearing, but the overall trade-off is, IMO, worth it. MY heavier vest is made by AR500 and was just under $300, which included side plates and front and back.

I have used other vests with trauma plates and most of the comfort issues seem to come from the plate carrier more than the weight of the plates. All of them suck to wear for very long, but the decision is your whether you want comfort or protection, as both seems to be almost impossible to get in one setup.

Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2014 1:07pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are serious protecting yourself, are you sure you want "low end?"

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/24/2014 1:45pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    They are heavy, uncomfortable, restrict movement, and hot. Although probably not to the same extent as your chain mail?
    Well fitting chain, with a belt is actually quite comfortable to wear. I've worn 45lbs of steel rings, and other then some shoulder pain due to old injuries, I found it to be just fine.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2014 6:32am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Protection, comfort and style. Perfect for surviving random armed hobos and if you fancy cracking into black market diamond sales.

What more could you ask for?!

Posted On:
    6/26/2014 8:22am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get into knife fights with the homeless
    Knife fights with the homeless? I am disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast