Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/09/2014 10:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to not Consistently Cause Self-Harm

I've always been very good at putting my weight behind my hits, from as young as I can remember when I told myself to punch my body did so in a way I did not have an explanation for until my teen years. Having got a new heavy bag recently, i've been beating away at it, practicing different directional hits and shifting to keep both my hands, head, and waist all moving. Unfortunately, I can't keep from mangling my mitts after only a half hour or so. I use wraps and training gloves, and other than the occasional sloppy wrist-work that comes with no real training and minimal practice, I don't feel the results of my labor until well after. Seeing it, is another matter, as when I remove the gloves and tape i'll consistently have broken blood vessels between all my fingers, dark purple bruises over the knuckles, and in a few particularly bad cases, stiff, clanky movement.

I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, if there's a way I should be hitting the bag that i'm ignorant to, but having to spend days, and sometimes weeks, letting my hands recover after only a few sessions hitting really sucks.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/09/2014 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Hopefully, there are a few boxing gyms in your area. The best thing you can do is to beat feet down to the closest one and sign up for boxing lessons. Ask the coach about equipment (bag gloves, wraps, etc.) then ask him / her about proper technique.

The last thing you want to do is compound ineffective techniques (which are likely to cause injury to yourself) with bad advice from a website where none of the members know exactly what you are doing something wrong.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/09/2014 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a coach showing you how to hit the bag?

Posted On:
    6/09/2014 8:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido. Hopefully, there are a few boxing gyms in your area. The best thing you can do is to beat feet down to the closest one and sign up for boxing lessons. Ask the coach about equipment (bag gloves, wraps, etc.) then ask him / her about proper technique.

The last thing you want to do is compound ineffective techniques (which are likely to cause injury to yourself) with bad advice from a website where none of the members know exactly what you are doing something wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Do you have a coach showing you how to hit the bag?
    No I don't have a coach, and there's probably a few places nearby where I could go, but i'll have to look around. Though, I was hoping it was just a beginners hump until everything toughened up, but if it's really something worth getting a professional to look at I guess I should. Thanks for the advice, guys.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    6/09/2014 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does the bag weigh?

Posted On:
    6/09/2014 9:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    What does the bag weigh?
    100lbs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2014 12:03am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you haven't conditioned your hands at all before this, you might just be taking on too much too fast. You should probably be focusing on technique and being REAL sure to land your blows cleanly initially until your hands and wrists are conditioned, not just wailing full power (I fucked up my wrist doing what you are doing, still clicks audibly).

If you can't get to a good striking gym (an actual coach is ideal, but I know I grew up over an hour from any decent boxing gyms, so there is always a possibility) maybe check out Jack Dempsey's "Championship Fighting". There are free PDFs of it all over the net because its a damn good book. It also advises a combination of proper technique and starting light until you are good enough and conditioned enough to not hurt yourself. Its much much better to find a good coach though.

And maybe knuckle pushups...

Really though, conditioning the bones is progressive just like lifting weights. It seems most prudent to start light and go up progressively from there, rather than go as heavy as you can right off the bat and then have to take a long break because you're hurt.
    Last edited by Krijgsman; 6/11/2014 12:07am at .

Posted On:
    6/11/2014 7:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Really you should get in person quality instruction from a Boxing/Kick Boxing/ect/ect instructor.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 2:21am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post

Really you should get in person quality instruction from a Boxing/Kick Boxing/ect/ect instructor.
    Thats a great video. There is some others where he talks about how your knuckles should be configured for various strikes to make sure your wrist stays straight. FOr example:

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like everyone who gets a bag "beats away at it" at first, which usually means hard punching with poor form. The fact that you say that you punch correctly since you were a kid makes me suspect that you are one of these people. There are subtleties that are often missing from the self-taught puncher's form. For example, most stick their chins out instead of tucking them in, because it has no bearing on power generation.